Misery13 is offline Not Here

Talking alpha lipioc acid

does alpha lipioc acid help increase vascularity...?

DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't think so. It's a real good antioxidant though.

the supplement stakabol by generation X advertises that ALA increases vascularity

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alpha lipioc acid-images.jpg  

DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I call BS. I take 200mg of ALA/day and my vascularity hasn't changed.

Yes it is a great antioxidant. It will not increase vasculatiry. Most companies advertise such claims about their product and most dont even work :-) What makes ALA unique is it functions in water and fat, unlike more common antioxidants vitamins C and E, it also appears to be able to re-use antioxidants such as vitamin C after they have been used up. It also helps with protecting brain and nerve tissue..preventing nerve cell damage. I myself have also noticed it to stabalize blood sugar levels...which is a big reason i take it.

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    just took mine

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Natural Science View Post
    Yes it is a great antioxidant. It will not increase vasculatiry. Most companies advertise such claims about their product and most dont even work :-) What makes ALA unique is it functions in water and fat, unlike more common antioxidants vitamins C and E, it also appears to be able to re-use antioxidants such as vitamin C after they have been used up. It also helps with protecting brain and nerve tissue..preventing nerve cell damage. I myself have also noticed it to stabalize blood sugar levels...which is a big reason i take it.
    cool...thank you...

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Are you hypoglycemic?

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Are you hypoglycemic?
    No im not hypoglycemic.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No im not hypoglycemic.
    Thanks, the reason I asked was because my gf is hypoglycemic and has trouble w/ her blood-sugar levels getting to low. I was just wondering if supplement with ALA would help in keeping these levels more stable.

Thanks, the reason I asked was because my gf is hypoglycemic and has trouble w/ her blood-sugar levels getting to low. I was just wondering if supplement with ALA would help in keeping these levels more stable.
    Is your girlfriend also diabetic? Taking ALA while already being hypoglycemic might be a bad thing. Since ALA usually stabalizes blood sugar levels when they are on the high side, i would assume its effects on low blood sugar level might just lower them further. I am not 100% on this...but its a very interesting question. Here is some research i found on the subject. It seems to helps prevent it.... Hope that helps.

"alpha-lipoic acid supplementation prevents development of hypertension and hyperglycemia, presumably through its antioxidative properties, as reflected by prevention of an increase in heart mitochondrial superoxide anion production and in AGE formation in the aorta of chronically glucose treated rats."

Alpha-lipoic acid attenuates hyperglycemia and prevents glomerular mesangial matrix expansion in diabetes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002;13:108-116.
    Melhem MF, Craven PA, Liachenko J, et al.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    One of ALA's functions in the body is increasing the uptake of glucose in both the muscle and fat tissue, thus lowering blood glucose. Since she has frequent hypoglycemic issues then her taking ALA isn't a good idea.

Thread Information