Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Which supplements are a MUST?

I am relatively new to supplements - plus they always seem to change as to what's the latest and greatest. I would just like to know what you would consider essential supplements for a person wishing to gain lean mass and lose bodyfat. I am currently working out and doing cardio 5 days a week.

At the moment, I supplement meals with protein shakes. I also take a multivitamin and creatine monohydrate daily.

I got a gift card to the viatmin shoppe and just picked up Twinlab Creatine Fuel Stack - not sure how effective this is. Contains 5000mg creatine monohydrate (remember I already use creatine daily in one of my shakes), 2000mg L-Glutamine, and 200mg Taurine.

Is this even worth taking? Am I getting too much creatine this way?

Is there anything else you think I should be taking?

nothingtoitbuttodoit is offline Junior Member
    Only things i would consider a must are multi, fish oil and whey protein

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    BCAA, multi vits and protein are the staple. I also take glutamine and flax oil.

(TLF) CHAMPION54 is offline Associate Member
    Protein, Creatine Mono, Multi Vit.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I am relatively new to supplements - plus they always seem to change as to what's the latest and greatest. I would just like to know what you would consider essential supplements for a person wishing to gain lean mass and lose bodyfat. I am currently working out and doing cardio 5 days a week.

At the moment, I supplement meals with protein shakes. I also take a multivitamin and creatine monohydrate daily.

I got a gift card to the viatmin shoppe and just picked up Twinlab Creatine Fuel Stack - not sure how effective this is. Contains 5000mg creatine monohydrate (remember I already use creatine daily in one of my shakes), 2000mg L-Glutamine, and 200mg Taurine.

Is this even worth taking? Am I getting too much creatine this way?

Is there anything else you think I should be taking?
    Creatine bullshit stack by twinlabs is shit. Get a simple tub of micronized creatine monohydrate is the best route. Glutamine and taurine supplementation is useless.

Beta alanine and BCAAs have been proven to be beneficial supplements.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Creatine bullshit stack by twinlabs is shit. Get a simple tub of micronized creatine monohydrate is the best route. Glutamine and taurine supplementation is useless.

Beta alanine and BCAAs have been proven to be beneficial supplements.
    Thanks man, I kind of figured that about the Twinlab product(s). I already have a tub of micronized creatine monohydrate, so i'm good there. I need to look into supplementing BCAA's.

PS - Love the name, Maiden is my fav metal band from the old school!

wharton is offline out of here
    My main ones are Multi Vitamins, Vitamin C, Fish oil, Flax seed, Creatine, Whey isolate and casin proteins, also on bulk I use around 6 tubs of Nurisport weight gainer a month. I also take a lot more Amino's Every day than I probably need but hey more is better than not enough.

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    Multi Vitamin
    Whey Protein
    Creatine
    Fish Oil

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    BCAA's
    Creatine Mono
    Ome ga3
    Leucine
    Whey
    MultiVit
    VitC
    Digestive Enzymes

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i've read in a few sports nutrition books tht bcaa's are a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by declan11 View Post
    i've read in a few sports nutrition books tht bcaa's are a waste of time
    Well those books are wrong.

gunslinger2 is offline Associate Member
    Multi Vitamin
    Vit C
    Whey Protein
    Creatine
    Fish Oil
    Glutamine

I think if you are eating enough protein you will get most of the BCAA's you need.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Fish Oil
    B-complex
    Biotin
    ALA
    Vit-C
    Vit-D
    Whey
    Creatine
    I have yet to find a decent multi

covert025 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    Fish Oil
    B-complex
    Biotin
    ALA
    Vit-C
    Vit-D
    Whey
    Creatine
    I have yet to find a decent multi
    GNC Megaman Sport. Its good enough

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    multi v
    fish oil/flax seed
    whey protien
    bcaa post workouts a MUST!!

if im bulking

creatine mono

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    test/tren ... protien, aminos, and that is it

good diet, good work out splits, and a smile

Blog Entries
    Well those books are wrong.
    they have blind trials and discovered that some of the placebo group actually exceled the bcaa group

Quote Originally Posted by declan11 View Post
    they have blind trials and discovered that some of the placebo group actually exceled the bcaa group
    then post it

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Multi Vitamin
    Zinc
    Vitamin C
    Whey Protein
    Flaxseed Oil

Blog Entries
    then post it
    i can post you the book title.Supplements for Strength-Power Athletes by Jose Antonio and Jeffrey R. Stout (Paperback - Jun 2002) and just about anything by Anita Bean

i also have been using supps for 19yrs and neva felt any benefit from taking bcaa's, this kinda confirmed it for me.

i can post you the book title.Supplements for Strength-Power Athletes by Jose Antonio and Jeffrey R. Stout (Paperback - Jun 2002) and just about anything by Anita Bean
    i also have been using supps for 19yrs and neva felt any benefit from taking bcaa's, this kinda confirmed it for me.
    I don't care how many years you have been doing this for. Personal experience doesn't matter to me either, too much bias involved. Science is what matters.

Here's 5 studies showing as to why bcaas are beneficial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which supplements are a MUST?-bcaa-1.jpg   Which supplements are a MUST?-bcaa-2.jpg   Which supplements are a MUST?-bcaa-3.jpg   Which supplements are a MUST?-bcaa-4.jpg   Which supplements are a MUST?-bcaa-5.jpg  

bcaa's are protein pure and simple. You can take 10,000 mgs of aminos and at a basic level you have 10 grams of protein. There are certain aminos that you don't get much from foods and they might be worth adding but not at the price GNC charges.

If you eat a wide range of protein foods such as milk, eggs, chicken, beef and fish on a regular you will get 99% of all the aminos you will need from food. Taking 20 horse pills per day is a waste of time and money that could be better spent on other things like food.

JinNtonic is offline Member
    ^^^ I agree. I spent a ton supps and then eventually started weeding out the ones I saw no benefit from(most of them).

Multi
    Fish oil
    Cinnamon with chromium
    Green tea
    Ginko

Blog Entries
    I don't care how many years you have been doing this for. Personal experience doesn't matter to me either, too much bias involved. Science is what matters.

well i rate what genuinely works and what needs to be supplemented in the first place, you'll get the same amino's from a pwo shake and also as stated above from diet so why spend on breeze blocks tht you are just gona excrete out anyway? the book title i've posted is scientific. in truth there are very little supp's that work, and being a self titled guru maybe you should know that.

Correct.

BCAA's work and so does added Leucine.

There is ample evidence supporting the above two claims.

well i rate what genuinely works and what needs to be supplemented in the first place
    The supplement geniunely works, how can you deny that? A supplement that is a bullshit would be glutamine, no matter if you take it or not, it won't provide any additional benefit, bcaas will.

you'll get the same amino's from a pwo shake
    To a degree, no shit but that's not what this arguement is about. This was solely about whether it actually works and it does.

and also as stated above from diet so why spend on breeze blocks tht you are just gona excrete out anyway?
    I never said it was required in the diet, a perfect diet will get you all the aminos you need. Who has a perfect diet?

the book title i've posted is scientific. in truth there are very little supp's that work, and being a self titled guru maybe you should know that.
    The supplement does work, so what fallacy's am I trying to pimp on other people?

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger2 View Post
    bcaa's are protein pure and simple. You can take 10,000 mgs of aminos and at a basic level you have 10 grams of protein. There are certain aminos that you don't get much from foods and they might be worth adding but not at the price GNC charges.

If you eat a wide range of protein foods such as milk, eggs, chicken, beef and fish on a regular you will get 99% of all the aminos you will need from food. Taking 20 horse pills per day is a waste of time and money that could be better spent on other things like food.
    Big difference between the two. Do a little research on the subject

I use BCAA's and will never go back to Whey Iso. Whey upset my stomach to much and caused me to have fialry bad gas.

10g BCAA's
    10g Leucine
    5g Beta Alanine
    5g Creatine Mono
    5g EVOO OR 5g Om ega3

+ Oats or a bannana depending on when I have the shake.

You'de have to eat a boat load of good to get 10g BCAA's and 10g Leucine to replicate my shake.

BCAA's (pure) will also enter the bloodstream quicker.

BCAA's all the way, I think Whey is outdated.

Big difference between the two. Do a little research on the subject
    I have for close to 20 years. You would be hard pressed to tell a difference in the real world. The big difference you speak of is not in aminos vs protein but what works in the real world vs in a lab. I will not spend hard earned cash on stuff that looks good on paper but seems to make no difference in the gym or mirror.

I have tried aminos, took them for years and you know what? A protein shake and a steak will do the same or better for far less. You do need BCAA's. But IMO its a waste of money to buy them.

Ever seen anyone get huge on BCAA's? No, and no one else has either. When I take 20 grams of glutamine per day I feel it. When I jack my protein up to 2 grams per lb of BW I feel it. What I take 40 amino tabs at a time the only thing I feel is my wallet getting lighter.

You argue science but wait...is this the same science that just a few years ago had people eating 70-80% carb diets? Is this the same science that a few years before that said no one needs more than 50 grams of protein per day? Is this the same science that said steroids don't promote faster or greater muscle gains? Yeah, you believe all that if you like, I'll stick with what I know actually does something through 17 hard years of training.
    Last edited by gunslinger2; 01-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.

I have for close to 20 years. You would be hard pressed to tell a difference in the real world. The big difference you speak of is not in aminos vs protein but what works in the real world vs in a lab. I will not spend hard earned cash on stuff that looks good on paper but seems to make no difference in the gym or mirror.

I have tried aminos, took them for years and you know what? A protein shake and a steak will do the same or better for far less. You do need BCAA's. But IMO its a waste of money to buy them.

Ever seen anyone get huge on BCAA's? No, and no one else has either. When I take 20 grams of glutamine per day I feel it. When I jack my protein up to 2 grams per lb of BW I feel it. What I take 40 amino tabs at a time the only thing I feel is my wallet getting lighter.

You argue science but wait...is this the same science that just a few years ago had people eating 70-80% carb diets? Is this the same science that a few years before that said no one needs more than 50 grams of protein per day? Is this the same science that said steroids don't promote faster or greater muscle gains? Yeah, you believe all that if you like, I'll stick with what I know actually does something through 17 hard years of training.
    So your going to use the "I've been lifting for 20 years blah blah blah" card? Good luck with that bud.

So your going to use the "I've been lifting for 20 years blah blah blah" card? Good luck with that bud.
    Honestly, is that all you got from what I said? You completely ignore what your "science" has been saying for years in favor of attacking me on a personal level?

I don't here any answers from you. So I ask again: Ever seen anyone get huge on BCAA's? Is this the same science that just a few years ago had people eating 70-80% carb diets? Is this the same science that a few years before that said no one needs more than 50 grams of protein per day? Is this the same science that said steroids don't promote faster or greater muscle gains?

If you can answer yes to the first question about BCAA's and no to the rest then you may have some valid points. If not, you are just being a parrot and repeating what you read in a magazine. The problem with you is that you have no real life experience. I have been lifting almost as long as you have been alive. I know what works and what does not because I have tried most of it at some point and seen many hundreds of others do the same. All you know is what you read on google and in musclemag. You made this statement "I've been lifting for 20 years blah blah blah" card?" because you are young and get offended when people who are older and know more than you speak out.

Tough, deal with it. I await the answers to my questions.
    Last edited by gunslinger2; 01-02-2010 at 09:29 PM.

I don't here any answers from you. So I ask again: Ever seen anyone get huge on BCAA's?
    This is such a stupid question. Do you know the supplement regimen of all people who have ever lifted and can even prove this stupid question of yours? Hmm? It seems by your wording that you some how know the answer to this question. When did this product ever promise to make anyone "huge"? It called a supplement for a reason, a supplement to a much larger scheme that is required for someone to become "huge".
    Is this the same science that just a few years ago had people eating 70-80% carb diets?
    Not even in the same league.
    Is this the same science that a few years before that said no one needs more than 50 grams of protein per day? Is this the same science that said steroids don't promote faster or greater muscle gains?
    No and I would love for you to show me a LEGITIMATE study that actually comes to this conclusion.

If you can answer yes to the first question about BCAA's and no to the rest then you may have some valid points. If not, you are just being a parrot and repeating what you read in a magazine.
    Those 5 studies I posted are created by LEGITIMATE institutions who do controlled studies and are then published, all found through my universities online library for journals. I'm not rehashing information I found that Jay Cutler is touting in a Muscle and Fitness magazine, do those studies look like anything I found inside a muscle magazine?

This is such a stupid question. Do you know the supplement regimen of all people who have ever lifted and can even prove this stupid question of yours? Hmm? It seems by your wording that you some how know the answer to this question. When did this product ever promise to make anyone "huge"? It called a supplement for a reason, a supplement to a much larger scheme that is required for someone to become "huge".
    I know the supplement regimens of many people, myself included. As well as a few people who know more about bodybuilding than you or I ever will and by and large they agree aminos are a waste. Show me some proof that taking extra BCAA's make a real measurable difference. Show me a study or two were there are two control groups and the one group that takes the BCAA's make significant muscular gains over those not taking them. I don't want to see the studies made by the sup companies either. Remember in my first post I said you do need BCAA's but its a waste to buy them.

Not even in the same league.
    Why not? The same people who are telling us to take our BCAA's are some of the same experts that were giving out that kind of advice just a few short years ago. They are also the same people that said eggs will kill you, no wait....they are really good for you....wait, no, only the whites......give me a f**kin' break.

No and I would love for you to show me a LEGITIMATE study that actually comes to this conclusion.
    Protein Needs - US Guidelines on Protein and Diet

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of protein according to U.S. government standards is 0.8 gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of ideal body weight for the adult. This protein RDA is said to meet 97.5% of the population's needs.

Adult Male Protein Needs

An adult male who should weigh about 154 pounds, or 70 kilograms, requires about 56 grams of protein daily.

The British Association for the Advancement of Science says 1 gram per kilo of BW.

This is an example of that "science" you speak of.

LEGITIMATE institutions also came up with the crap I spoke of. Again I say there is a BIG difference in what works in the real world and what works in a lab. Most of the crap that is sold at the local GNC has some base in the lab. The problem with 95% of it is that this does not translate over to real life.

I know the supplement regimens of many people, myself included. As well as a few people who know more about bodybuilding than you or I ever will and by and large they agree aminos are a waste. Show me some proof that taking extra BCAA's make a real measurable difference. Show me a study or two were there are two control groups and the one group that takes the BCAA's make significant muscular gains over those not taking them. I don't want to see the studies made by the sup companies either. Remember in my first post I said you do need BCAA's but its a waste to buy them.
    Do you understand how a supplement works? It supplements a much bigger regimen that would be required to build muscle. What you are asking is IMPOSSIBLE. Those studies I have posted shows that it stimulates proteolysis in turn muscle protein synthesis. What more can I say, there is no study that could exist what you are asking!

Why not? The same people who are telling us to take our BCAA's are some of the same experts that were giving out that kind of advice just a few short years ago. They are also the same people that said eggs will kill you, no wait....they are really good for you....wait, no, only the whites......give me a f**kin' break.
    How do you know that, a claim you can't prove. Who is they? Try again.

Protein Needs - US Guidelines on Protein and Diet

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of protein according to U.S. government standards is 0.8 gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of ideal body weight for the adult. This protein RDA is said to meet 97.5% of the population's needs.

Adult Male Protein Needs

An adult male who should weigh about 154 pounds, or 70 kilograms, requires about 56 grams of protein daily.

The British Association for the Advancement of Science says 1 gram per kilo of BW.

This is an example of that "science" you speak of.
    Those are the minimum requirements for a human not to feel and adverse health effects. Totally irrelevant.

LEGITIMATE institutions also came up with the crap I spoke of. Again I say there is a BIG difference in what works in the real world and what works in a lab. Most of the crap that is sold at the local GNC has some base in the lab. The problem with 95% of it is that this does not translate over to real life.
    You can't prove this claim at all, same as a last one. You base your argument off of inferences you made, nothing that is down on paper. Can you please stop with this garbage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IM708 View Post
    and that means nothing? i was on a strict competitive (natural) routinue for years and i have nailed down what works supplement wise, i've used everything from a-z. dont write of experience, thts just stupid. age 19 on your profile, that says it all, we'll debate again in a few years mate, during tht time trying using all the stuff your proclaiming. ever hear the phrase, 'dont believe everything you read'? i've been taught by a world class sports competitive lecturer who also rubbishes aminos, and i tend to take advice by someone who has been trained on an international scale by guess what, sports and nutritional scientists.
    Last edited by dec11; 01-03-2010 at 08:18 AM.

and that means nothing? i was on a strict competitive (natural) routinue for years and i have nailed down what works supplement wise, i've used everything from a-z. dont write of experience, thts just stupid.
    It means nothing. Scientific data is what matter. As stated, too much bias results from using one persons real world experience reguarding variance topics.
    age 19 on your profile, that says it all, we'll debate again in a few years mate, during tht time trying using all the stuff your proclaiming. ever hear the phrase, 'dont believe everything you read'?
    Good use of age bias, that is a great way to end your argument. I'm done arguing with you, you keep throwing more bullshit in your argument. Age means nothing, ever seen how old some of our smarter members are here? Phate, 20 years old...
    i've been taught by a world class sports competitive lecturer who also rubbishes aminos, and i tend to take advice by someone who has been trained on an international scale by guess what, sports and nutritional scientists
    Who?

My original point still stands in this way over drawn thread. BCAAs have been scientifically proven to be a beneficial supplement. No matter the amount of gibberish you or gunslinger throw on it, my point still stands.
    Last edited by IM708; 01-03-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IM708 View Post
    It means nothing. Scientific data is what matter. As stated, too much bias results from using one persons real world experience reguarding variance topics.

Good use of age bias, that is a great way to end your argument. I'm done arguing with you, you keep throwing more bullshit in your argument. Age means nothing, ever seen how old some of our smarter members are here? Phate, 20 years old...
    Who?

My original point still stands in this way over drawn thread. BCAAs have been scientifically proven to be a beneficial supplement. No matter the amount of gibberish you or gunslinger throw on it, my point still stands.
    goodbye lad, no point in arguing with you, you'll always be right

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    BCAA'S
    Whey Protein
    Multi-V
    Flax oil
    Vitamin C
    Acai Berry
    Milk thistle
    Creatine

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think we can agree that Whey Protein and Creatin are givens, but are products like Maximuscle Cyclone worth the cash? It's a combination of protein and creatin which leads me to think it's cost effective or is it just a gimmicky product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information