UMFan is offline Junior Member

Milk Thistle question

Anyone have an opinion on Milk Thistle for liver protection? Is this a good supplement to be taken both on and off-cycle? What about mg/day? I've read anywhere from 600mg - 1200mg /day. I'm thinking of starting this supplement and just run it regularly. Any advice would be appreciated.

TRT2010 is offline Member
    i know ppl that run it a couple grams a day and if im not mistaken even if you do over do it which i dont think you can you would just expell it from your urrine. So i dont get it why are you planning on taking milk thstle? are you going to be doing any AAS?

I'm looking at starting a cycle in early to mid-January. Right now I'm doing my research on supplements and gear and lining up sources. Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and am covering everything. Liver protection is big for me and I've heard Milk Thistle is pretty effective.

bcaasdirty is offline Member
    great support supp...cheap to boot...1-2g/day is what ive run

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    There are much better products out there for liver protection. I suggest getting some NAC (n-acetyl cysteine). If you look up the list of benefits, you will be astounded. It is an OTC supplement, but to get an idea of the effectiveness of it, when people OD on tylenol and suffer acute liver failure, NAC is given to them to prevent complete damage of the liver.

tjax, thanks for the info. i did some research on NAC and it looks great. it seems that Milk Thistle and NAC and be taken together; i found this product online: Mike Thistle Combo

Here's the Supplement Facts:
    Serving Size 2 Tablets
    Serving per container: 45
    Amount Per 2 Tablets
    % Daily Value
    Vitamin A (beta-carotene contains soy) 14,000 IU 280%
    Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 480 mg 800%
    Choline (bitartrate) 110 mg
    Inositol 110 mg
    Milk Thistle Seed Concentrate (Silybum marianum)350 mg
    Proprietary Blend 410 mg;N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Dandelion Root (Taraxacum officinale)
    Other Ingredients: Cellulose (plant fiber), stearic acid (vegetable), maltodextrin, magnesium stearate (vegetable), and silicon dioxide (powdered silica)

tjax, thanks for the info. i did some research on NAC and it looks great. it seems that Milk Thistle and NAC and be taken together; i found this product online: Mike Thistle Combo

Serving Size 2 Tablets
    Amount Per 2 Tablets
    % Daily Value
    Inositol 110 mg
    Proprietary Blend 410 mg;N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Dandelion Root (Taraxacum officinale)
    Other Ingredients: Cellulose (plant fiber), stearic acid (vegetable), maltodextrin, magnesium stearate (vegetable), and silicon dioxide (powdered silica)

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I do 2grams mt ed, and 500 mg NAC ed. last liver panel came back excellent (that means i'm too lazy to actually go to the kaiser webite and look it up)

the gentleman above me is right. pretty hard to over do it, since it is simply excreted out as expensive urine.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    I take 1-2g/ED. Depending on AAS, alcohol etc...

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UMFan View Post

Serving Size 2 Tablets
    Amount Per 2 Tablets
    % Daily Value
    Inositol 110 mg
    One more thing to add. The oral bioavailability of NAC is pretty low. I've seen it estimated at 5-10%. However, taking approximately 1-2 grams a day will still yield enough to provide benefits. Some people have an issue with nausea from NAC, but I have not noticed this. If you can, try to get NAC in gel capsules, not tablets. The molecular structure of cysteine contains sulfur, which is not the most pleasant tasting element. The above combo looks pretty good, as long as it is cheap. If not just buy the MT and NAC separately. Also, be careful not to take too much vitamin A, as that can lead to some nasty consequences, including liver damage ironically.

Ya, good call on the vitamin A; i hadn't thought of that. 14,000 IU is very high. i'm also getting plenty of vitamin A in my diet and other supplements. i might just stick with the pure stuff and take them separately

UDCA is a very good liver support, also may help in cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemurphy229 View Post
    UDCA is a very good liver support, also may help in cholesterol.
    cool, thanks. i'll look into it

Thread Information