orbitz21 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Supplements for a Runner

hey all, I'm 32 years old, 5'10, 205lbs. I've ran marathons before and i'm training for another one. My diet isn't the greatest but I have a high protein and carb diet for energy for my runs. I'm running close to 25-30 miles a week but my body doesn't seem to get any leaner. I have a little bit of love handles and can't seem to get my abs to look leaner. Is there any legal supplements out there that can help me out and also won't effect my cardio sessions?

nk92mi is offline Junior Member
    from my understanding, after reading thru the diet section, it is all about DIET. running is great as i am trying to do the same mileage as you a week. it is key to stay on point with diet. i want the same results as you and i keep getting the same answer from these guys. diet, diet, diet. i am trying to get more disciplined with my diet, but i like to drink too much on the weekends. go to the diet section and ask some of those guys to help, especially gbrice75 and twist.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz21 View Post
    hey all, I'm 32 years old, 5'10, 205lbs. I've ran marathons before and i'm training for another one. My diet isn't the greatest but I have a high protein and carb diet for energy for my runs. I'm running close to 25-30 miles a week but my body doesn't seem to get any leaner. I have a little bit of love handles and can't seem to get my abs to look leaner. Is there any legal supplements out there that can help me out and also won't effect my cardio sessions?
    5'10" and 205 is pretty heavy for a distance runner. I'm 6'1 or so, and when I ran ages ago, I was in the neighborhood of 170.

I know it is repetitive, but weight is the enemy here, and it is all about your diet. If I had to lose significant weight, I'd go with a "no-carb" diet, with a daily consumption under 25 grams (carbs). Only drink water. No booze. Go big on the salads, fresh veggies, minimize the meat. 8oz fish filet instead of the 16oz steak. I know you are looking for a crutch ("legal supplements out there"), but try to avoid anything that will keep you from the hard work. When eating chicken, peal the skin off. Avoid any unnecessary fat.

I'm not sure how serious you are, how comptetitive you want to be, or your bf%. But if you really are serious, at 5"10, you should be around 160 or less for long distance running.

btw... cut carbs to lose weight, but you definately NEED to reintroduce carbs a few days before your actual meet.

and just as a fyi, for me, i totally skip any type of processed rehydration drink like gatoraide. Instead, do it right. Mix 1/2 water and 1/2 OJ and you get the same thing, but without all the BS found in Gatoraide.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 10-21-2010 at 11:09 AM.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Clen and diet.

I don't know if I agree with the no/really low carb idea. You will lose weight but a lot will be muscle.

Thread Information