GoldGloveLF is offline New Member

Supplements to add/drop

Hello everyone...new to the site...before I ask my question I just want to say that I think this is a phenomenal source of information...at lot of the posters here are truly smart people and I look forward to discussing many things with everyone here.

My question, as you may have figured out from the topic header is...what supplements should I continue or drop from the list of supplements that I have already tried:

Pink Magic
    Oxyelite Pro
    Purple Wraath
    Dymatize Whey Protein isolates
    Animal Pak multivitamins
    Naturemade Omega3 fish oil
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin B complex 150 (150mg for most components)
    Melatonin
    Theanine

glaring obvious omission is Creatine, I haven't used any, but I plan on tying Kre Alk within the next week or two.

I'm 5'9 192 20% BF roughly...been working out for a few years with breaks due to injuries...but looking to really focus on getting back to good shape/diet/workouts

I'd rather gain muscle than lose fat if I had to make a choice between the two...but would certainly like to accomplish both of those if possible.

Any thoughts/critique/assistance is greatly appreciated.

Justin

Lnh
    Lnh is offline New Member
    The first thing I'd ask is your age. Next would be to lay out your diet...as there's a couple things I'd cut out right off the bat if your diet isnt in check. Also I personally prefer usplabs modern bcaas or the 4:1:1 BCAA powder from trueprotein over the purple wraath.

Last things...i find that im usually better off becoming tired naturally and sleeping a full 7-9 hours rather than taking melatonin. How much fish oil and cla are you taking, too?
    Last edited by Lnh; 12-01-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont' see
    BCAA's
    Glutamine
    Arginine
    Minerals (calcium, mag, pot)

Not sure about
    Pink Magic
    Oxyelite Pro
    Purple Wraath
    (are these adult beverages? sorta kidding here)

Maybes
    DHEA
    Prednalalone (sp?)
    Vit E
    Psyllium Husk Fiber
    GABA (depending on age)
    MSM (depending on joint health)
    Milk Thistle (liver)
    NAC (chelator and liver)
    resveratrol
    Saw Palmetto (prostate - depending on age)

Suspect

Not sure if you want to put all your eggs in a single type protein powder
    I prefer the type from Costco which is a blend of the three
    Milk Egg Whey
    Benefit is each is metabolized at different rates from Milk (long) to Whey (short)

bdzemske is offline Associate Member
    ^^^x2

times knows his shyte

Lnh
    Lnh is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I dont' see
    BCAA's
    Glutamine
    Arginine
    Minerals (calcium, mag, pot)

Not sure about
    Pink Magic
    Oxyelite Pro
    Purple Wraath
    (are these adult beverages? sorta kidding here)

Maybes
    DHEA
    Prednalalone (sp?)
    Vit E
    Psyllium Husk Fiber
    GABA (depending on age)
    MSM (depending on joint health)
    Milk Thistle (liver)
    NAC (chelator and liver)
    resveratrol
    Saw Palmetto (prostate - depending on age)

Suspect

Not sure if you want to put all your eggs in a single type protein powder
    I prefer the type from Costco which is a blend of the three
    Milk Egg Whey
    Benefit is each is metabolized at different rates from Milk (long) to Whey (short)
    Purple wraath is an EAA/BCAA blend and covers his bcaas. Animal Pak has 500mg of milk thistle, along with a full multivitamin/mineral blend so that covers most of his vit E and the majority of his minerals (the rest should come from diet), along with an antioxidant blend too which could take place of the reservatrol (I vote for dietary coverage of antioxidants), and it has a little over a gram of arginine so theres a little there though there could be a lot more.

Saw Palmetto, gaba, and dhea all depend upon age. NAC is a personal choice based upon liver toxicity levels but never hurts. Reservatrol and psyllium husk depend upon diet again.

Oxyelite Pro is an herbal blended thermogenic, and a quite powerful one at that (for OTC anyways). Pink Magic is an herbal test booster (not your normal trib based one either) that seems to be quite effective also though I've seen no blood tests to prove one way or the other...it also is supposed to act as a mild arginase inhibitor too. For this reason I always recommend ornithine supplementation with it since natural ornithine production is reduced and it is essential for GH/LH production. Though to comment on the adult beverages part, the pink magic does have that added effect too lol.

Everything else including protein choices and whether he uses them at all can (and preferably should) be covered by diet, though no matter what I advocate whey just for time/cost efficiency's sake. So GoldGlove, post up your diet, age and training and we can help you out a lot more. And a quick note: you can do much better and cheaper than the Dymatize whey isolate.
    Last edited by Lnh; 12-01-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnh View Post
    Purple wraath is an EAA/BCAA blend and covers his bcaas. Animal Pak has 500mg of milk thistle, along with a full multivitamin/mineral blend so that covers most of his vit E and the majority of his minerals (the rest should come from diet), along with an antioxidant blend too which could take place of the reservatrol (I vote for dietary coverage of antioxidants), and it has a little over a gram of arginine so theres a little there though there could be a lot more.

Saw Palmetto, gaba, and dhea all depend upon age. NAC is a personal choice based upon liver toxicity levels but never hurts. Reservatrol and psyllium husk depend upon diet again.

Oxyelite Pro is an herbal blended thermogenic, and a quite powerful one at that (for OTC anyways). Pink Magic is an herbal test booster (not your normal trib based one either) that seems to be quite effective also though I've seen no blood tests to prove one way or the other...it also is supposed to act as a mild arginase inhibitor too. For this reason I always recommend ornithine supplementation with it since natural ornithine production is reduced and it is essential for GH/LH production. Though to comment on the adult beverages part, the pink magic does have that added effect too lol.

Everything else including protein choices and whether he uses them at all can (and preferably should) be covered by diet, though no matter what I advocate whey just for time/cost efficiency's sake. So GoldGlove, post up your diet, age and training and we can help you out a lot more. And a quick note: you can do much better and cheaper than the Dymatize whey isolate.
    Nice coverage bro!!
    Sounds like you will be an asset to this board...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

I'm old school. I avoid blends and instead focus on the actual "main" ingredient(s) and purchase individually as a powder. Much cheaper. No need to pay someone middleman fees for unneccessary additional processing.

Additionally, The resveratrol has "anit-aging" and potentially telemorese (sp?) benefits a normal anti-oxident lacks. I purchased a kilo of 40% purity which is a 5 to 10 year supply.

Not a believer in test boosters, since all boosters are short term at best, if at all, since no impact on the closed loop feed back mechanism. If you want test, then you take test.

Great thing here, everyone has their own personal theories, (including me), so obviously this is NOT written in stone.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 12-02-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Tony Stacks is offline Associate Member
    Might just be me, but I am not impressed with any Animal Products.

Stick with vitamins, fish oil, bcaa, protein, glutamine, etc. Most sups on the market in my opinion are junk. Waste of money.

Although I have heard good things about oxy pro & I do like muscle pharm products.

I'm 27...and until now...my diet has been 100% horrible, unorganized, and not even attempted to be controlled.

here's a thread on it from the diet forum that I posted: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.....help-request

Thank you for the responses!

So...I kinda of liked the way Purple Wraath and Pink Magic had me feeling when I was working out. I would be on the arctrainer at the gym for 1.5 hours on a fairly difficult setting WITH EASE lol. I also had just had a double bone contusion and some minor ligament damage in August, and by September...I was squatting 300 with ease as well. Then my gym membership ran out and school got really intense. Semester ends Dec 15 and I'm getting another membership...so I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions for what I should take since I plan on hitting the gym hard over winter vacation and maintaining a healthy diet

If any more advice is possible, I'd appreciate it...great work so far though guys!

The first thing I'd ask is your age. Next would be to lay out your diet...as there's a couple things I'd cut out right off the bat if your diet isnt in check. Also I personally prefer usplabs modern bcaas or the 4:1:1 BCAA powder from trueprotein over the purple wraath.

Last things...i find that im usually better off becoming tired naturally and sleeping a full 7-9 hours rather than taking melatonin. How much fish oil and cla are you taking, too?
    When I was taking CLA I was going for the benchmark from studies which was 3.4 grams per day...according to most sources I've read online...most test subjects lost significant amounts of fat while maintaining lean body mass.

Fish Oil...probably about 3-4 grams of DHA/EPA total

As for workouts...

A typical workout for me: (I don't know a lot of the names, I'm sorry)

Squats
    Bench press
    maybe deadlift
    seated row
    Standing pull bar up to my chest
    Shoulder shrugs
    Then to finish I'll hit some of the machines with fair light weights

I don't really vary it too much because I don't know the right technique for some of the things I need to do

I know that it's wrong to be that way, but that's why I'm here.

Also, I like the sound of GABA...thoughts?

Thread Information