fjr02 is offline Junior Member

Late night workout supplement

Guys,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but it is about the timing of supplements.

I work out 4 days per week at 9:30-10:30 PM.
    I am clean.
    At present I'm taking super-pump 250 before lifting, Torrent zero after, then casein right before bed 1 - 1.5 hrs after the torrent zero.

This is a lot of calories late at night, and I'm beginning to add side-rear body fat. Very frustrating.

I can't move my work-out period.
    Any suggestions?

I'm starting am 8-week osta cycle at the first of the year.

thanks for the help

DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That's not really a lot of calories. What does the rest of you diet look like?

DIET:

breakfast = 30 gram protein drink, bowl of kashi cereal
    10AM = 45gram protein drink if I have time.
    lunch = 1.5 cups brown rice, one can of tuna or chicken, protein bar
    afternoon = 45 grams protein drink
    dinner = whatever has been prepared. It could be anything from healthy to unhealthy.
    Post 9pm intake -> superpump + torrent + casein = 280cal

Coffee throughout the day
    glutamine drink in the afternoon
    Occasional junk - donuts at work, small bag of vending machine cookies at work. Nothing consistent.

I am 5'8", 48yrs, 165lb

Lnh
    Lnh is offline New Member
    The first thing I'd look at is your dinner, and try and eliminate the 'unhealthy' end of the spectrum, the next one would be the occasional junk food...how often is this? Once a month is a lot different from every other day lol. The few hundred calories you're getting from the Torrent Zero and casein are within the post workout window, and shouldn't be enough to start causing extra weight gain, especially considering there's practically no carbs involved.

My first guess is that your occasional junk food intake went up by a couple servings a week throughout the holidays without you noticing.

Lnh,
    Thanks
    The snowball effect began months ago. I was taking straight Torrent at night. When I noticed the BF increase, I looked for a zero carb post-work drink and found torrent zero.
    Beginning today, I substitute bananas for junk. I've added cardio on my non-training days. We'll see how it goes.

2jz_calgary is offline Senior Member
    try to eleminate protein drinks in substitute for meals, for breakfast have eggs and oats. Introduce healthier carbs such as oats and or brown rice. Also add some efa's into the mix as they will help you greatly.

I've changed my breakfast per your recommendations.
    I had not considered efa's. I'll have to look into them.

Lnh
    Lnh is offline New Member
    Good to hear you're making some positive changes...any progress so far?

For the EFA's, omega-3's are going to be your greatest asset, but a blended omega-3/6/9 will probably produce best results.

Add in some CLA too if you can...3g/day is the usual suggested starting dose...use this til you see the weight drop back down, then about 1g/day or cutting it out all together usually works.

Van Suka is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fjr02;5459***
    DIET:

breakfast = 30 gram protein drink, bowl of kashi cereal
    10AM = 45gram protein drink if I have time.
    lunch = 1.5 cups brown rice, one can of tuna or chicken, protein bar
    afternoon = 45 grams protein drink
    dinner = whatever has been prepared. It could be anything from healthy to unhealthy.
    Post 9pm intake -> superpump + torrent + casein = 280cal

Coffee throughout the day
    glutamine drink in the afternoon
    Occasional junk - donuts at work, small bag of vending machine cookies at work. Nothing consistent.

I am 5'8", 48yrs, 165lb
    Cut back on the protein powder, especially first thing in the morning - your body is coming off a fast and thus will be used mostly for energy (kinda expensive). You need to eat more real food bud. Coffee is going to increase your cortisol levels, which will not help with body fat. The casein is a waste of money in my opinion - don't fall for the slow digestive protein myth. Eat more real food!!

Van Suka is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fjr02 View Post
    Lnh,
    Thanks
    The snowball effect began months ago. I was taking straight Torrent at night. When I noticed the BF increase, I looked for a zero carb post-work drink and found torrent zero.
    Beginning today, I substitute bananas for junk. I've added cardio on my non-training days. We'll see how it goes.
    Bananas?? dude, those are loaded with sugar. Not the best fruit to go with. Try grapes, oranges, apples, melon, berries...

Thread Information