xxblazenlowxx is offline Associate Member

Protein and bcaa

I currently use optimum nutrition's pro complex gainer both before and after workout and sometimes before bed when out of cottage cheese.

Just recently I started using optimum nutrition's superior amino 2222 softgels, I have been taking them before big meals and with shakes.

Is this overkill and if so lead me in the rite direction please.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I wouldn't say it's overkill...taking bcaa's before a meal or protein shake will help with absorption. Take bcaa's 15-20 mins before.

xxblazenlowxx is offline Associate Member
    Ok thanks, I was taking them with.

Van Suka is offline Junior Member
    BCAAs after training then whey protein 20 mins later. I take in about 20+ grams BCAAs daily: First thing in the morning, before, during, after training and before bedtime.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Take the BCAA's in between meals. Thats what Layne Norton's latest research states and he's often on the money.

Dont take them with meals or shakes, meals and shakes have enough BCAA's in them.

Empty stomach in between meals is best.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    No such thing as overkill when talking about amino acids IMO, the more the better.

Like Swifto said in between meals, not with. During workouts is a perfect time and when I consume 90% of what I take in for the day, that is when you need them most.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    Take the BCAA's in between meals. Thats what Layne Norton's latest research states and he's often on the money.

Dont take them with meals or shakes, meals and shakes have enough BCAA's in them.

so you would advice against taking bcaa's 30 minutes before a meal (being 1st meal or preworkout)?

djm6464 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post

x2......bcaa's were popular before when on a caloric restrictive diet....this new pre/intra/post protocol of flooding the muscles works, but if you eat enuff, they arent needed unless as an addition to your nutrition, hence the in between meals

I have always wondered if BCAA's effect blood sugar levels? I'm assuming they don't other wise people wouldn't recommend use before cardio. I would be pissed to find out that they spike blood sugar causing an insulin reaction especially before morning cardio.

Thread Information