Corpsman is offline Associate Member

Pre/Post workout drinks

I have been drinking Monster Amino 5000 with L-Glutamine about 30 minutes before working out then drinking 60g protein shake after workouts. I am not sure if this is the best way to do it but in any case GNC no longer carries the Monster Amino mix so my two questions. Is my pre/post drink routine a good one? And what should I change to since I can't get the monster amino?

I am 5'7" and have cut down from 178 to 163. I had my bf checked digitally at the gym and it was 18.5%. My goal is to have abs that show and to obviously build muscle. I have been on HRT at 200mg/week with shots of HcG the two days prior to my T injections. My free T is always just under 1000 and my IGF-1 is 800-900.

Thanks. Oh ya, I am 37

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    Your TRT is a basically protocol, like mine, nothing wrong with that, I suggest you need to look more in diet section to loose fat, for me trt make me gain a lot, and some fat is add to, with no problem so far, I need bulk anyway, so eating a lot. Regarding pre and post work out, every one has is preference, I like Ravage as pre work out and Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 as post work out, chose one that fits you.

So drinking the Monster Amino and l-glutamine pre workout is good? What is a good bf% to be at? When I wrestled in high school I was under 10% but that was easy back then. I a tually think that bf measurement must have been wrong. I don't think I look like I am that high.
    Last edited by Corpsman; 06-22-2011 at 05:33 PM.

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    10% is good, a lot of guys around here are 10 or lower, set a goal for that. Diet and cardio will do all.

BORIQUENA76 is offline Female Member
    AfterGlow by BioRythym in watermelon flavor is a pretty good post workout drink.

Why would I want to drink carbs after working out? I have always learned carb up protein down.

jgbody is offline New Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman;567***9
    Why would I want to drink carbs after working out? I have always learned carb up protein down.
    You want to drink carbs post work out for numerous reasons...most notably, the insulin spike you will receive. After you work out, you deplete the glycogen levels in your body which places your body in a catabolic state (NOT GOOD). By ingesting waxy maize, dextrose or something of the like, you are forcing your body to increase its insulin production to counteract the carbs, which in turn puts your body in an ANTI-catabolic state (Normally I would have said anabolic state but according to some studies I've read recently Insulin seems to be anabolic when administered at rest but only? anti-catabolic PWO).

I myself have just realized the importance of this, even on a cutting phase. It has made a world of difference.

jayvio is offline Junior Member
    is a waxy maize carb powder a simple carb. or complex. i have been taking a waxy maize powder right after workingout with my protein powder but am thinking about switching to so sort of simple sugar instead to help rush that protein to my system. what are your thoughts on this. what would be the best source of carbs. to take with my protein shake pwo?

Well pre workout is when I take the waxy maize/BCAA/L-Glutamine, then I drink protein after I workout. What should I drink pre workout then if I switch?

Quote Originally Posted by jgbody View Post
    You want to drink carbs post work out for numerous reasons...most notably, the insulin spike you will receive. After you work out, you deplete the glycogen levels in your body which places your body in a catabolic state (NOT GOOD). By ingesting waxy maize, dextrose or something of the like, you are forcing your body to increase its insulin production to counteract the carbs, which in turn puts your body in an ANTI-catabolic state (Normally I would have said anabolic state but according to some studies I've read recently Insulin seems to be anabolic when administered at rest but only? anti-catabolic PWO).

I myself have just realized the importance of this, even on a cutting phase. It has made a world of difference.
    I might need this broken down in simple terms... Drink THIS pre-workout and drink THIS post workout. Just lay it on me.

themoreyouknow is offline Associate Member
    preworkout is not needed..personally preference to use one or not. Some aminos and caffeine before are good or sip on some BCAAs DURING. but after your workout you need carbs. preferably a 2:1 mix of carbs to proteins, respectively. couple scoops of waxy maize and a scoop of whey is good.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
    I have been drinking Monster Amino 5000 with L-Glutamine about 30 minutes before working out then drinking 60g protein shake after workouts. I am not sure if this is the best way to do it but in any case GNC no longer carries the Monster Amino mix so my two questions. Is my pre/post drink routine a good one? And what should I change to since I can't get the monster amino?

I am 5'7" and have cut down from 178 to 163. I had my bf checked digitally at the gym and it was 18.5%. My goal is to have abs that show and to obviously build muscle. I have been on HRT at 200mg/week with shots of HcG the two days prior to my T injections. My free T is always just under 1000 and my IGF-1 is 800-900.

Thanks. Oh ya, I am 37
    Just curious, did you also go to San Diego Male Medical clinic? And I take it you are an HM.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I workout at 5:00 A:M so I feel I need a pre-workout along with some caffeine. The preworkout mix is about 1:1 carb and protein. My preworkout is cytomax or acclerade or even powdered gatorade mixed with a scoop of protein. My post is about 2:1 carb protein and is the same as the pre-but I double up the carb drink

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Personally I use no pre-workout, I get pumped to lift so the extra boost isnt needed.
    I have just recently started adding a dash of plain sugar to my protein for post workout and have noticed a big difference. I use Optimum Nutrition Natural whey with a dash of sugar, as I am very sensitive to the fake sugars found in most protein powders. I have always consumed 40-50g protein post workout, but the insulin boost from the sugar seems to help quite a bit now. I'm sure maltodextrin or some other simple carb would be better, but regular sugar is always in the cupboard and nice as a treat as my diet doesnt allow for much sugar. I just ad a dash since my protein powder has very little in there. The protein/simple carb combo seems to aid in recovery and eliminate minor fatigue atleast in my experience

Thread Information