Sailor Moon is offline Female Member

adding dextrose to protein shake

Okay dokay, I'm a newb we all know this.
    but would it help to add dextrose to my pwo shake?? If so whats the point? Thoughts on dextrose anyone?

Sailor Moon is offline Female Member
    or something like ON Glycomaize

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of this. I see nothing it the way of benefit that justifies ingesting this much pure sugar at once. Tried it in the past - got nothing more than i do with oats or other nutritionally prudent options except my stomach was a mess.

Armyman is offline New Member
    Why would you do that, you want to gain fat?

jp_2011 is offline Junior Member
    I suppose its a matter of how your body copes with a certain things. Jay cutler drinks a can of normal coca cola post workout along with his shake. As for dextrose, i havent used it but i have used maltodextrin, even pre contest. Maltodextrin is actually a complex carbohydrate made from either corn, rice or potato starch, but its molecular chain is shorter than other complex carbs. As well, it consists of loosely bonded glucose molecules. And like dextrose, maltodextrin is absorbed directly through the gut. So it raises blood sugar and insulin levels as much as dextrose does.
    However, before maltodextrin can be utilized, it must first pass through the liver for the bonds between the glucose molecules to be broken down. So the rate at which it is used for glycogen replenishment is slower than with dextrose. However, because it is metabolized slower, there will not be as quick of a drop of insulin and blood sugar levels as with dextrose. There appears to be no potential for fat gain from the use of maltodextrin.
    As an alternative you could add some oats to your PWO shake and have a banana lets face it, gorillas eat bananas and they are huge haha

jypoll is offline Member
    i have a 60g carbs pwo shake, 20g dextrose and 40g waxy maize,This is for cutting, i will maybe do 20 sugar and 60+ complex for a bulk. I guess the point is to preserve muscle by replenishing glycogen, it probably dosent make a difference what kind of carbs it is but i like mostly complex and some sugar just in case, and because waxy maize tastes weird so a little sugar tastes better.

Thread Information