MrMayhem is offline Associate Member

How much caffeine

How much caffeine would one need to burn fat on a daily basis?

In accordance with a workout routine and good diet/lifestyle.

I weighed 260, and was 12% bodyfat at 5'11.

Unfortunately, I got injured and Im back down to 230 and round 15%bf.... got some caffeine pills left over from a lil while back. Thinking about using them to burn some fat but Im not sure exactly how much to use....

And no roids ever... As Im only 21 and too young

excuse me..... 5'9"...... not 5'11"

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't have an answer and not sure there is one. So let's speak in terms of cups of coffee for a moment.

I am very caffeine sensitive, and so for me to be stimulated and appetite surpressed, probably two cups of coffee an hour and i'm wired. Any cofffee after lunch and i'm looking at the ceiling all night wishing i could get to sleep. Others can drink coffee up to bedtime and fall asleep easily.

So it's really up to you. Experiment. Caffeine is a very safe stimulant. Pop a couple of caps pre workout and see what happens. Then adjust from there....

good luck!

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think I am immune to caffeine from med school days when I used to eat raw espresso beans pulling all nighters. I can drink 2-3 cups and go to bed without any trouble. Probably not a good situation to be in, but TR is right, caffeine is a fairly easy stimulant to tolerate.

I will say however, I tried 1 gram of caffeine annhydrous once before a work out and will NEVER do that again. Blurred vision, tachycardia, dizziness, nausea.....terrible, terrible feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    I think I am immune to caffeine from med school days when I used to eat raw espresso beans pulling all nighters. I can drink 2-3 cups and go to bed without any trouble. Probably not a good situation to be in, but TR is right, caffeine is a fairly easy stimulant to tolerate.

I will say however, I tried 1 gram of caffeine annhydrous once before a work out and will NEVER do that again. Blurred vision, tachycardia, dizziness, nausea.....terrible, terrible feeling.
    when i was living in georgia, there was some "speed" going around. Turns out it was siimple caffeine caps sold out the back of some popular street drug magazine. If you take too many caps, I'd get stomach cramps, and even n aseau. Bottom line is even caffeine, if not taken in moderation, will make you sick.

agree with you MI

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

when i was living in georgia, there was some "speed" going around. Turns out it was siimple caffeine caps sold out the back of some popular street drug magazine. If you take too many caps, I'd get stomach cramps, and even n aseau. Bottom line is even caffeine, if not taken in moderation, will make you sick.

agree with you MI
    ....and to add to that, some may be unaware, but there is a lethal dose of caffeine. The actual lethal dose depends on individual sensitivity, but it is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass or roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult. So while it'd be pretty hard to overdose on coffee per se, pills or tablets containing pure caffeine could be toxic enough.

I think my dosing is about right

but just to check... if anyone else has any experience...

I pop 2 caps, 200mgs.

I get a lil hyper, a lil jittery, but if I lift, I zone out HARDCORE, I get a lil headache, but nothing to serious. I know the body can suffer minor "withdrawals" from caffeine, which causes the headache.

I pop 1 more cap a couple hrs later to fight the crash and that usually does me good til bedtime. I can usually sleep ok too.

While using caffeine though, my knees and ankles ache a lil, but I know caffeine is very "body-irritant"
    so I dont worry too much about that either.

Main thing is just stay hydrated.

All that sound about right to you guys???

liftology is offline Junior Member
    200mg isn't that much, but then again I think pre workouts screwed up my caffeine tolerance...
    Basically it differs for different people so try out different dosages and find out what works for you

moranitotongano is offline Associate Member
    I take 200mg caffeine pill and 25mg ephedrine pill...i'm good to go all day after that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMayhem View Post
    but just to check... if anyone else has any experience...

I pop 2 caps, 200mgs.

I get a lil hyper, a lil jittery, but if I lift, I zone out HARDCORE, I get a lil headache, but nothing to serious. I know the body can suffer minor "withdrawals" from caffeine, which causes the headache.

I pop 1 more cap a couple hrs later to fight the crash and that usually does me good til bedtime. I can usually sleep ok too.

While using caffeine though, my knees and ankles ache a lil, but I know caffeine is very "body-irritant"
    so I dont worry too much about that either.

Main thing is just stay hydrated.

All that sound about right to you guys???
    sounds good to me. the dose is fairly low, you seem to benefit from it, and you can sleep at night. the other minor headaches will probably go away as you become desensitized a bit.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by liftology View Post
    200mg isn't that much, but then again I think pre workouts screwed up my caffeine tolerance...
    Basically it differs for different people so try out different dosages and find out what works for you
    Yea I "kinda" have tried different doses. 300 mgs at one time, makes me go haywire and jabber on and on lol and then shortly after, I crash, get irritable, then cant sleep at night, and get even achier.
    I've nvr really used much of anything, besides food and vitamins (Omega 3, 6, 9, multivitamins), and protein shakes. And most of my life, I grew up drinking juice, water, and a lil Koolaid now and then so I guess my caffeine exposure is minimal.
    Done a few cycles on a preworkout (MRI Black Powder), stuff gets me JACKED! I think it only has 200-300mgs of caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    sounds good to me. the dose is fairly low, you seem to benefit from it, and you can sleep at night. the other minor headaches will probably go away as you become desensitized a bit.

good luck!
    I hope so. My allergies and sinuses give enough headaches lol
    BTW Roman, I always love ur posts. Theyre informational and you always seem so nice and pleasant. Thanks

BTW Roman, I always love ur posts. Theyre informational and you always seem so nice and pleasant. Thanks
    You're welcome!

....now it's up to you to pay it forward! =)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMayhem

The doses you referred to are not a problem unless you have a hypersensitivity to caffeine or take MAOIs which can have additive effects for some people. Even then, these doses generally are not life threatening.

I've dosed as much as 1g of caffeine. Please DO NOT ever try that. I had some very serious side effects that scared the hell out of me and nearly sent me to the ER (actually I probably should have gone to the ER but my pride got in the way).

Most doses in caffeine pills or pre workouts will cause mild effects such as elevated heart rate, nervousness (the "jitters"), increased alertness and metal focus, rapid breathing, but should not be life threatening. It is a drug however and must be used wisely and not abused as it can have life threatening effects if safe doses are exceeded. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it has no risks with excessive use.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    The doses you referred to are not a problem unless you have a hypersensitivity to caffeine or take MAOIs which can have additive effects for some people. Even then, these doses generally are not life threatening.

I've dosed as much as 1g of caffeine. Please DO NOT ever try that. I had some very serious side effects that scared the hell out of me and nearly sent me to the ER (actually I probably should have gone to the ER but my pride got in the way).

Most doses in caffeine pills or pre workouts will cause mild effects such as elevated heart rate, nervousness (the "jitters"), increased alertness and metal focus, rapid breathing, but should not be life threatening. It is a drug however and must be used wisely and not abused as it can have life threatening effects if safe doses are exceeded. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it has no risks with excessive use.
    Well said
    Thank u very much

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldnt go crazy with it. 200-400mg daily is enough. Cardio/workout days you could try a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post
    I wouldnt go crazy with it. 200-400mg daily is enough. Cardio/workout days you could try a little more.
    Yea, I get that. 200mg seems to be enough, maybe another 100mg a few hours later. Honestly, I know its just caffeine, but I'm thinking about keeping a log

liftology is offline Junior Member
    Yea I "kinda" have tried different doses. 300 mgs at one time, makes me go haywire and jabber on and on lol and then shortly after, I crash, get irritable, then cant sleep at night, and get even achier.
    I've nvr really used much of anything, besides food and vitamins (Omega 3, 6, 9, multivitamins), and protein shakes. And most of my life, I grew up drinking juice, water, and a lil Koolaid now and then so I guess my caffeine exposure is minimal.
    Done a few cycles on a preworkout (MRI Black Powder), stuff gets me JACKED! I think it only has 200-300mgs of caffeine.
    Yeah then 200mg seems about right for you. Be glad you have a lower caffeine tolerance. I have a friend who needs 700mg to feel a little jittery lol

If I kept a log, who'd be interested to see it?

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    If I kept a log, who'd be interested to see it?
    Caffeine alone isnt going to make a noticeable difference in fat loss IMO. Now if you stack that with ephedrine and have a calorie deficit with some cardio, you should definitely have some great fat loss. I just don't think you'd have much to log other than "took 200mg of caffeine. It made me jittery and then I got tired later and had to take more." It might be different for you but I'm a bit of a caffeine fiend.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I don't think caffeine is going to do the trick as far as fatloss goes. And you build tolerance to it rather quickly too, so you'll have to keep upping the dose. Best way to lose the fat is to go on a diet.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP806 View Post
    Caffeine alone isnt going to make a noticeable difference in fat loss IMO. Now if you stack that with ephedrine and have a calorie deficit with some cardio, you should definitely have some great fat loss. I just don't think you'd have much to log other than "took 200mg of caffeine. It made me jittery and then I got tired later and had to take more." It might be different for you but I'm a bit of a caffeine fiend.
    Yea true. As my diet is as clean is it possibly could be though, I thought maybe caffeine would do the trick. Im only looking to drop a lil weight. Maybe 5 lbs, but I'm fairly confident I can do that naturally in about a week or 2. If nothing else, the caffeine will help me get jacked for my cardio

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I don't think caffeine is going to do the trick as far as fatloss goes. And you build tolerance to it rather quickly too, so you'll have to keep upping the dose. Best way to lose the fat is to go on a diet.
    Yea this is what I figured. My diet is good though, just havent been lifting, as I've been nursing an injury. 260lbs, at my age and height, is hard to maintain at 12%bf without lifting lol. Im surprised I stayed between 12 and 15%
    Im slowly get back into the gym (garage) tho. I expect Monday to be my 1st high intensity, hardcore workout, since my injury and Im starting cardio next week.... So as I stated above, if nothing else, the caffeine will get me motivated.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    nothing else, the caffeine will help me get jacked for my cardio
    Absolutely, I always take caffeine pre-workout.

I read in "Muscular Development Magazine" that about 100mgs of C, preworkout, increases pain tolerance as well. Any experience or has anyone ever really noticed a difference?

Thread Information