ryan22373 is offline New Member

Maltodextrin - Dextrose ??

Does anyone else use maltodextrin or dextrose in their protein shake?? I find it as a great way to get those extra carbs after a workout, early in the morning or late at night.

havanakid is offline Associate Member
    Maltrodextrin Carbo Hit is the brand i use and yes its great for your mornng shake to kickstart your metabolism and extremely important for your postworkout shake where you want to double it up against your protein.... so for example 40G of protein and 80G of the complex carbs but NEVER late at night...so carbs after 6 or 7pm depending on your lifestyle,work schedule etc..

meant to say NO carbs after 6 or 7pm.........

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    back in the day, you'd see the old bulls sipppin on honey between their routines. it helped keep up their intensity. As I'm an old bull, I've done this too. It does work. Then it became high tech, and the "research" suggested that it is better to use a mild protein/carb solution instead of the honey. There is this thing called a glycemic window post work out that is supposed to benefit ffrom this solution. I even have a book on this phenomenon and you can PM me if you want me to remember what it's called. it extensively and exhaustively cited studys and trials and quasi data collection efforts that you can find in the back of the book to support this position.

But now, there are those that i trust on the board that are saying this is all bro science, and there is no glycemic window post workout.

I really have not seen the data on the opposing argument, even though i've asked. So for now, i continue with my protein/carb drink while working out, and it still helps just like the honey did years past. If you've ever experienced that depletion / lag feeling between routines/sets due to killing it hard, then you know what I'm talking about.

So I'm not suggesting you do what I do. Just know there is an opposing view to the protein/carb drink while working out. If GBrice were here, he couuld probably provide data sources for his side of it.

Cheers!

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    I drink a RTD with maltodextrin in after workouts. It is a normal almost 2:1 (carb/protien) recovery drink 340 cal 53 carbs and 35 protien. In my supplement sales job I have visited many trainers, even NFL trainers. I pick their brains every time I talk to them. For example the chicago bears trainer gives his athletes a 25g protien drink a hour before training. Then after workouts he mixes endurox with gatorade. This of course it a high carb/protien drink a elite athlete can take. Also each athlete is made to take a mild sodium based snack to prevent crashing after workouts. At night he only makes them take another 25g protien drink.

Long story short. A carb/protien based drink is a must after a intense workout.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LT75 View Post
    I drink a RTD with maltodextrin in after workouts. It is a normal almost 2:1 (carb/protien) recovery drink 340 cal 53 carbs and 35 protien. In my supplement sales job I have visited many trainers, even NFL trainers. I pick their brains every time I talk to them. For example the chicago bears trainer gives his athletes a 25g protien drink a hour before training. Then after workouts he mixes endurox with gatorade. This of course it a high carb/protien drink a elite athlete can take. Also each athlete is made to take a mild sodium based snack to prevent crashing after workouts. At night he only makes them take another 25g protien drink.

Long story short. A carb/protien based drink is a must after a intense workout.
    I would really love to hear GBrice's opinion on this. he's told me before the glycemic window is pure BS, and no advantage to carb/protein drink, BUT I've asked and never seen the data to support the argument. I respect GBrice, so this isn't meant to be argumentative.

But I would still love to see the data.

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    Your body uses glucose and glycogen during intense workouts for energy right? The argument is how low do your levels get during training or games. If they are too low then your body releases cortisol which eats muscle for energy. If taking a recovery(carb/protein) drink can stop this then I will do it. If it does nothing and it can't hurt to take it, then oh well.

People also argue what the best form of protein(concentrate, isolate, casein) to take after workouts too. People will never stop arguing

Agreed 100 percent....theres a really good nutritional video on youtube called Secrets of the Bodybuilders in which the instructior/trainer of champions goes into detail as to the importance of supplementing a short time after your workout and how it is the most important time of the day when sugar is needed especially to replenish glycogen stores.

True that...in my opinion though I go with the whey Isolate after my workout 40pro/80carb...and about an hour after I do my last complex carb meal which usually will consist of a serving of whole wheat pasta or grilled chicken breast with a cup of brown rice and I wash it down with another whey protein shake but just 25 to 30 grams of protein no carbs.

Thread Information