digsy1983 is offline Member

pre-shakes, are they worth it?

hey, i was wondering what your takes are on preworkout shakes?

i have been taking preworkout shakes for over 4 months and recently i noticed that when i was doing lesser muscle group (especially biceps) that the pumps were far too intense and i couldnt complete full sets 'cos it literally felt like my bicep was going to pop! so the last week ive intentially not had any preworkout shakes for 2 reasons.

1, to see if weightloss is affected by the sugar,

2, to guage natural workout drive and standard.

i've found that although im not bursting through the gym door wanting to lift everything in sight, my energy levels have been fairly high(even tho i'm only eating 105g carbs a day) ive been able to complete all my normal stuff and i've not felt like a man possed while doin it. i've not been sweating as much as my heart rate isnt through the roof, although ive not felt the "big pumps" to the preshake standard i have been very vascular after a couple of sets.

also i was wondering if preworkout shakes could also cause you to retain a bit of water due to the amount you sweat, you body trying to compensate for this.

im thinking about maybe doing without pre-shakes for a while and maybe just using them if my energy levels are really low like straight after work if i need the boost.
    Last edited by digsy1983; 09-06-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've dropped everything** except what i sip on while working out.

If you just stick to the basics by eating right, lifting right, and resting right, you will be ahead of 90% of the guys in the gym. Plus your wallet will be happier as well..........................

everything = all otc supps, except creatine, protein powder, and a few other vitamins.

Yeah TR, think that's the route I'm going to go down. can always use the shakes as back up if needed, but I never noticed any major difference really in the workouts apart from the jittery energy really and I could complete full sets without fear of my muscles popping.
    Maybe on a bulking diet they might be better suited.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    dont complicate things, just eat a normal meal 1.5-2hrs pre-training.

alot of stupid hype follows this lifestyle around, and its all sales BS

dont complicate things
    thats the plan bud. get down to bare essentials and see how things fair. thought for a couple of weeks about dropping the pre-shakes, just wanted to see if others thought this way as most of the publicity/reviews about them is that jesus himself made them and that you cant train without them.
    but if things are good, they dont need to be in a bright shiny container with bold statements.

GreMos is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I've dropped everything** except what i sip on while working out.

If you just stick to the basics by eating right, lifting right, and resting right, you will be ahead of 90% of the guys in the gym. Plus your wallet will be happier as well..........................

everything = all otc supps, except creatine, protein powder, and a few other vitamins.
    Yeah... My wallet needs a smile now. Too much pre-w.o stuff in my pantry.

I don't even take Creatine..like when I was 17 I thought Creatine was the devil. Then I stepped past it and starting pinning myself. Oh god I was dumb. And since then I haven't cared much for picking any up.. Maybe I should

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends on your goals and what level your trying to acheive. For some preworkout shakes are very beneficial.

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to pull myself away from pre workouts,purely for better health, all the caffiene and w/e else goes in can't be good for ya. But currently I use them all the time unless training pm then it ****s with my sleep too much, which is ok because that's every 3rd week so it's not as if I don't get a. Real from them as it is

I would never complain about bicep pump being too much nothing better than not being able to touch the back of your head

GreMos is offline Member
    I say just use them for those 'oh god I wanna stay in bed' days.

Thread Information