Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5punky is offline New Member

BCAA - What's best & value for money.

Whats the best BCAA supplement out there AND value for money?

Super-Chump is offline Associate Member
    http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/buy/...ds-bcaas/BCAAS

They only ship within Australia though
    Last edited by Super-Chump; 12-01-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    What is your reasoning for wanting BCAA's?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Stevesteveo6 is offline Junior Member
    Core BCAA by cellucor. It runs for around $30 for 30 scoops. So a dollar a scoop. That's about average in price. But it's the highest grade BCAA on the market

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    What is your reasoning for wanting BCAA's?
    Hey SteM - I'm asking to gain knowledge on the best ones & best price as part of my research before I cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by 5punky

Hey SteM - I'm asking to gain knowledge on the best ones & best price as part of my research before I cycle.
    Yes, but why precisely do you want them. When will you be taking them and why? They really aren't an essential supplement, and it may be that you don't need them at all.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Yes, but why precisely do you want them. When will you be taking them and why? They really aren't an essential supplement, and it may be that you don't need them at all.
    I was advised that BCAA's (supplement) were an important part in the process of muscle repair whilst on a cycle.

I want to make sure that I am at optimum levels across the board for my first cycle...

Then I'd optimise your diet.

Unless you are going to train fasted I'd argue BCAA's are not that important to your supplement regime. Even if you do train fasted they are not the be all and end all.

Can you post your stats and your diet plan, with macro's, in the nutrition forum? Also detail your proposed cycle, PCT and where your workouts fit into your eating plan.

It may be you have a great diet plan but there is no point supplementing anything that doesn't need supplementing!

Cheers.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Then I'd optimise your diet.

Unless you are going to train fasted I'd argue BCAA's are not that important to your supplement regime. Even if you do train fasted they are not the be all and end all.

Can you post your stats and your diet plan, with macro's, in the nutrition forum? Also detail your proposed cycle, PCT and where your workouts fit into your eating plan.

It may be you have a great diet plan but there is no point supplementing anything that doesn't need supplementing!

Cheers.
    Sounds good SteM - will get stats & Diet plan over to Nutrition shortly

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Agree with Stem.

A few years back, I was all gung ho on BCAA's and glutamine. It's definately an increase to your monthly bill. But I wasn't seeing the gains from it like i thought i would. So i stopped taking, and put my money to better use.

For me, it was an excellent decision.....

I started a thread in the Nutrition forum re BCAAs but realized it could have been posted here.

Read this study on BCAA's, it's a good one:

http://www.ergo-log.com/can-t-train-...ose-bcaas.html

Conslusion
    "In conclusion, BCAA protected against soleus muscle atrophy induced by hindlimb suspension and decreased atrogin-1 and MuRF1 protein levels, suggesting the possibility that BCAA protects against muscle atrophy, at least in part, via the inhibition of the Ub-proteasome pathway", the researchers write. "Oral BCAA administration appears to have the potential to protect against immobilization or microgravity-induced muscle atrophy."

BTW, check out the ergo-log.com blog...it's a great resource fellows!

gd

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Agree with Stem.

A few years back, I was all gung ho on BCAA's and glutamine. It's definately an increase to your monthly bill. But I wasn't seeing the gains from it like i thought i would. So i stopped taking, and put my money to better use.

For me, it was an excellent decision.....
    Gains? I've read its a great protein for fasted workouts.
    Last edited by likelifting; 12-11-2012 at 04:22 AM.

bcaasdirty is offline Member
    I used bulk BCAAs during show prep as a way to help minimize muscular catabolism...12-15g/day

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    BCAA are one of the few supps that actually do something, They work through AKT and mTOR pathways..anti catabolic at the minimum..to a degree dare i say ...anabolic . Proven statements.

WOW - confused.com now.

Is it that they work differently with every individual?

I hope some light can be shed on this subject.

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    BCAA are one of the few supps that actually do something, They work through AKT and mTOR pathways..anti catabolic at the minimum..to a degree dare i say ...anabolic. Proven statements.
    Interesting. I've always read the anti-catabolic part.

Quote Originally Posted by 5punky View Post
    WOW - confused.com now.

Is it that they work differently with every individual?

I hope some light can be shed on this subject.

I think that can be said about every supp out there. Thats one thing i've learned is you can have two people taking the same thing and their results/outcome will ALWAYS be different. I think its always best to experiment yourself (in this case with BCAAs) to find out. You can certainly draw up some guidelines for how they should affect you, but again your personal experience will most likely be different (pending diet, training etc)

They were a godsend during contest prep as they helped me preserve as much muscle as possible during the prep. I dosed 12-15g/day. Theyre worth it IMO, give it a shot bro!

BCD OUT

There's a bunch of studies on the effectiveness of BCAA's...like Jimmy stated...it's proven.

pleasehalp is offline Associate Member
    Whats the best BCAA supplement out there AND value for money?

Chicken breast. Serious BCAA supplement is the WORST supplement on the market by far as far as scams go. BRB paying 45 dollars for 30 servings of something you get in every single meal minus all the important nutrients. BRB not ONE study proven you recover faster including BCAA's into your diet (unless you have no protein intake for the day)

I was advised that BCAA's (supplement) were an important part in the process of muscle repair whilst on a cycle.

I want to make sure that I am at optimum levels across the board for my first cycle...
    *facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by bcaasdirty View Post
    I think that can be said about every supp out there. Thats one thing i've learned is you can have two people taking the same thing and their results/outcome will ALWAYS be different. I think its always best to experiment yourself (in this case with BCAAs) to find out. You can certainly draw up some guidelines for how they should affect you, but again your personal experience will most likely be different (pending diet, training etc)

They were a godsend during contest prep as they helped me preserve as much muscle as possible during the prep. I dosed 12-15g/day. Theyre worth it IMO, give it a shot bro!

BCD OUT

You have no evidence that from taking that 12-15G a day BCAA's "preserved all your muscle mass" during a "prep" How can you say they're worth it lol!?

IMO another broscientist, seriously man if you're on a bulk/cut you're getting plenty of Amino Acids from your diet if you are dieting correct. Even if you aren't dieting correct and including a 30 dollar plastic bucket full of over hyped supplement isn't going to magically make you bigger and leaner and or/maintain.

Pleasehalp OUT

Quote Originally Posted by gdevine View Post
    There's a bunch of studies on the effectiveness of BCAA's...like Jimmy stated...it's proven.
    Orly? Please link some up Thanks.

falco21 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasehalp View Post
    Here you go:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/6/1583S.full

And here you go again:

http://no-baloney.com/2012/03/26/bca...-for-athletes/

And here you go again again:

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Supplements/BCAA.html

And I can keep going

You have no evidence that from taking that 12-15G a day BCAA's "preserved all your muscle mass" during a "prep" How can you say they're worth it lol!?
    Evidence? Of course not, I'm no scientist! Results/experience compared to prior cutting diets w/ no BCAA supplementation? Yes, plenty of that! I never said BCAAs preserved 'all my muscle mass' (I know I lost some along the way ), but rather they helped to preserve as much muscle as possible. Its a given in a caloric deficit state one can be prone to losing muscle mass (I'm def no exception, thx for genetics dad LOL)

IMO another broscientist I guess we'll agree to disagree on this statement. I was only speaking from my personal experience, not 'pimping' or 'whoring' a product, or speaking about something I had never used.

, seriously man if you're on a bulk/cut you're getting plenty of Amino Acids from your diet if you are dieting correct. Absolutely you should be getting plenty of aminos if dieting 'correctly'. I'll go refer to my reason for supplementing with BCAAs during my prep as to help prevent muscular catabolism, as in my previous cutting diets I lost a TON of muscle mass (measured via strength loss, 8 year olds were prob stronger than me...still might be! ) Research led me to BCAAs as a way of minimizing muscle loss and I can speak to its effectiveness as during my prep strength slightly improved/maintained (cept for at the end with carb depletion)

Even if you aren't dieting correct and including a 30 dollar plastic bucket full of over hyped supplement isn't going to magically make you bigger and leaner and or/maintain. I'm with you on that point. There is no '30 dollar plastic bucket' or pill or whatever that will magically make you bigger/leaner etc. without proper nutrition. Was I always this way? Hell no. In my 'younger' days I got caught up in all the big fancy ads in Muscle&Fitness and didnt know a THING about proper nutrition (still don't know enough, always learning ) I'm a firm believer supplements are meant to perform to their namesake, supplement, not be used as a crutch or substitute for a proper diet.

Pleasehalp OUT NO MOAR TAKING MY LINE...kthxbai
    in bold

BCD OUT !

falco21 is offline Associate Member
    in bold

BCD OUT !
    Coming from the guy with BCAA in his screen name LOL

in bold

BCD OUT !

Cliifs:

You may have preserved "some" muscle mass with a few calories over no calories. Fact
    Paying 45 dollars/1 dollar a serving for 10-15 calories,

please go

Pleasehalp OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by falco21 View Post
    Just checked all those refrences and all that is concluded is that "having BCAA's in you will help you recover/get bigger" I'm not arguing it wont. What I am arguing is buying a 45 dollar tub of 30 servings of BCAA's and thinking you're going to put on pounds of muscle or ANY over eating normal foods IE Chicken, meat, fish etc etc etc. Please show me a link to someone with a to the T diet on a bulk and SUPPLEMENTING with BCAA;S from GNC or any other nutrition place and tell me it is going to add to muscle size/definition ANYTHING when you're getting all your proteins/AA's from food.

I see you didn't read my post at #11 and study conducted there.

And what does "Orly" mean?

This study just in May:
    Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study.
    Howatson G, Hoad M, Goodall S, Tallent J, Bell PG, French DN.
    Abstract
    ABSTRACT:
    BACKGROUND: It is well documented that exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD) decreases muscle function and causes soreness and discomfort. Branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) supplementation has been shown to increase protein synthesis and decrease muscle protein breakdown, however, the effects of BCAAs on recovery from damaging resistance training are unclear. Therefore, the aim of this study was to examine the effects of a BCAA supplementation on markers of muscle damage elicited via a sport specific bout of damaging exercise in trained volunteers.
    METHODS:
    Twelve males (mean +/- SD age, 23 +/- 2 y; stature, 178.3 +/- 3.6 cm and body mass, 79.6 +/- 8.4 kg) were randomly assigned to a supplement (n = 6) or placebo (n = 6) group. The damaging exercise consisted of 100 consecutive drop-jumps. Creatine kinase (CK), maximal voluntary contraction (MVC), muscle soreness (DOMS), vertical jump (VJ), thigh circumference (TC) and calf circumference (CC) were measured as markers of muscle damage. All variables were measured immediately before the damaging exercise and at 24, 48, 72 and 96 h post-exercise.
    RESULTS:
    A significant time effect was seen for all variables. There were significant group effects showing a reduction in CK efflux and muscle soreness in the BCAA group compared to the placebo (P < 0.05). Furthermore, the recovery of MVC was greater in the BCAA group (P < 0.05). The VJ, TC and CC were not different between groups.
    CONCLUSION:
    The present study has shown that BCAA administered before and following damaging resistance exercise reduces indices of muscle damage and accelerates recovery in resistancectrained males. It seems likely that BCAA provided greater bioavailablity of substrate to improve protein synthesis and thereby the extent of secondary muscle damage associated with strenuous resistance exercise. Clinical Trial Registration Number: NCT01529281.

This one in March of last year:
    Branched-chain amino acids supplementation enhances exercise capacity and lipid oxidation during endurance exercise after muscle glycogen depletion.
    Gualano AB, Bozza T, Lopes De Campos P, Roschel H, Dos Santos Costa A, Luiz Marquezi M, Benatti F, Herbert Lancha Junior A.
    Source
    School of Physical Education and Sport, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil. [email protected]
    Abstract
    AIM:
    It has been demonstrated that branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) transaminase activation occurs simultaneously with exercise-induced muscle glycogen reduction, suggesting that BCAA supplementation might play an energetic role in this condition. This study aimed to test whether BCAA supplementation enhances exercise capacity and lipid oxidation in glycogen-depleted subjects.
    METHODS:
    Using a double-blind cross-over design, volunteers (N.=7) were randomly assigned to either the BCAA (300 mg . kg . day -1) or the placebo (maltodextrine) for 3 days. On the second day, subjects were submitted to an exercise-induced glycogen depletion protocol. They then performed an exhaustive exercise test on the third day, after which time to exhaustion, respiratory exchange ratio (RER), plasma glucose, free fatty acids (FFA), blood ketones and lactate were determined. BCAA supplementation promoted a greater resistance to fatigue when compared to the placebo (+17.2%). Moreover, subjects supplemented with BCAA showed reduced RER and higher plasma glucose levels during the exhaustive exercise test.
    CONCLUSION:
    In conclusion, BCAA supplementation increases resistance to fatigue and enhances lipid oxidation during exercise in glycogen-depleted subjects.

I'll never disagree that proper diet is the best protocol, however, those whose diet is not ideal (like me) and yet weight train four days a week, like protein shakes, BCAA's are a needed supplement in my diet.
    Last edited by steroid.com 1; 12-12-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Only a fool would pay the prices quoted by pleasehalp. At those prices I would agree its overpriced . But if you buy bulk powders then that price radically reduces and makes them much more of an acceptable proposition.

I notice a difference when I don't take them and I use them whatever my goal. I always take 10g pre fasted cardio (I know it means you're not truly fasted!) and intra workout.

Pleasehalp, you are 20 years old an I suspect haven't experimented that much, if at all, with BCAA's. by your own admission you have 'awesome genetics' and gained 42lbs in a year drug free! Some if us don't have that ability and have to experiment with different supplements. All the studies suggest Creatine is almost the ultimate supplement. But I've experimented with all forms in differing doses at different times of the fat. It doesn't work for me but I don't scoff at the studies.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Well ok then!

Seems like I will venture on this subject on my own. I have BCAA's. I eat chicken, I eat Fish, I eat Steak in my diet plan. I will at some point introduce BCAA's into my daily routine and see if there are any benefits on top of my diet plan.

Jeeez

Cliifs:

You may have preserved "some" muscle mass with a few calories over no calories. Fact
    Paying 45 dollars/1 dollar a serving for 10-15 calories, $45 is expensive, I wouldn't pay that! BOO GNC

please go y u no debate no more?

Pleasehalp OUT!
    Have you ever suppd with BCAAs yourself, and if you have, were the results poor which is why you're knocking them?

Just checked all those refrences and all that is concluded is that "having BCAA's in you will help you recover/get bigger" I'm not arguing it wont. Sweet!

What I am arguing is buying a 45 dollar tub of 30 servings of BCAA's and thinking you're going to put on pounds of muscle or ANY over eating normal foods IE Chicken, meat, fish etc etc etc. No one made that statement in this thread , and I'd grab a stick and bash someone with you if they made those outlandish claims

Please show me a link to someone with a to the T diet on a bulk and SUPPLEMENTING with BCAA;S from GNC or any other nutrition place and tell me it is going to add to muscle size/definition ANYTHING when you're getting all your proteins/AA's from food.In my experience, BCAAs on a bulk wouldnt provide much value, given their primary function of minimizing muscle loss while in a caloric defecit--you're in a caloric surplus so one shouldnt have to worry about muscle loss!
    more in bold, STOP BEING SO DAMN ARGUMENTATIVE!

BCD OUT

Only a fool would pay the prices quoted by pleasehalp. At those prices I would agree its overpriced . But if you buy bulk powders then that price radically reduces and makes them much more of an acceptable proposition.

I notice a difference when I don't take them and I use them whatever my goal. I always take 10g pre fasted cardio (I know it means you're not truly fasted!) and intra workout.

Pleasehalp, you are 20 years old an I suspect haven't experimented that much, if at all, with BCAA's. by your own admission you have 'awesome genetics' and gained 42lbs in a year drug free! Some if us don't have that ability and have to experiment with different supplements. All the studies suggest Creatine is almost the ultimate supplement. But I've experimented with all forms in differing doses at different times of the fat. It doesn't work for me but I don't scoff at the studies.
    I have experimented with BCAA's and just didn't see the results the hype was about and a lot of bad studies saying "it just works" You're right everybody is different and if your diet is slacking and you're not meeting your macros/cals then I could see how this would help. I'm just trying to look out for you guys and let you know you're better off buying food (unless training fasted or competition), I remember seeing a study showing you would have to take 20x the amount suggested usage to have any results on one of Lane Nortons studies of BCAA's in which he openly skipped the the question.

Have you ever suppd with BCAAs yourself, and if you have, were the results poor which is why you're knocking them?
    About sums it up, but like I mentioned I get all my proteins/AA's from whole foods and whey protein, I have included BCAA's into a month cycle and noticed absolutely nothing, still just as sore as I normally get after leg day, not bigger muscles than if I wasn't taking them, etc etc. Good news is I actually still use the free liquid BCAA's that ON protein sent me for free and they make a tasty PWO adding it into my NanoVapor

About sums it up, but like I mentioned I get all my proteins/AA's from whole foods and whey protein, I have included BCAA's into a month cycle and noticed absolutely nothing, still just as sore as I normally get after leg day, not bigger muscles than if I wasn't taking them, etc etc. Good news is I actually still use the free liquid BCAA's that ON protein sent me for free and they make a tasty PWO adding it into my NanoVapor
    word

This goes to show, supps affect everyone different! Good stuff

Thanks Guys for the enjoyable debate!

^^^^Yea, this was a good one 5punky.

The point is, we're all different and our training and diets are all different.

What's good for the Goose may not be what's good for the Gander.

For me, it works...so good.

But if your diet is dialed in just right...than I see no need.

I luv good threads like this...good going guys!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    BCAAs work great for me as well. After I use up the pills that I have i'm going to buy the micronized form. Its cheap as fvck

Micronized = Higher Uptake.

In fact, any supp you take try to get it in micronized form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information