Thread: Weight Gainer

misterwazza is offline New Member

Weight Gainer

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently 18 and lifting for about 1.5 years. I'm on this forum only to educate myself on steroids , not looking to use them until a good 6-7 years. I'm a severe ectomorph (5'10 around 145lbs). When I first started I was 122 lbs. My stats looks horrible but I'd say I managed to put on some good muscles. I'm pretty cut and not small anymore but I'm trying to do some more progresses...Recently I started eating very well and a lot (6-7 meals a day with good macros). I gained 10 lbs in the past 2 months (which is awesome results for me ) but I was wondering if a weight gainer would help to gain some more mass? I'm not stupid enough to think my weight gainer would replace a meal, but simply take like 2-3 scoops after my workout, NOT MORE. Is it a good idea? Would it help me gain some weight? It's so hard for me to get muscles T_T

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    Hey man!

Just like you said, nothing beats FOOD!! A lot of right food is the way to gain!

But there is nothing wrong to take a weight gainer after your workout!

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most weight gainers are loaded with simple sugars and this is simply not healthy.

Why don't you buy a quality whey isolate and we'll teach you how to make your own gainer?

It is easier than you may think, and definitely better than most gainers in the market.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    ^^^ what TJ said . But if you got money, I been using cell techs mass tech and been seeing some great results from it.

I'm currently thinking about real gains from universal...So far it is the weight gainer with the least colesterol and bad fat I've seen so I thought about buying it! I tried monster mass too a few months ago and I've got some good results. Also, my skin react to simple sugars and I get acne as soon as ingest too much of them so this is how I know a weight gainer works for me : when I get no acne xD

jmcbride69 is offline Junior Member
    Take a look at carnivor mass. It's a isolate with only 1.5 gm of fat. I've took it in the past as a pwo protein before my meal and had decent results from it

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbride69
    Take a look at carnivor mass. It's a isolate with only 1.5 gm of fat. I've took it in the past as a pwo protein before my meal and had decent results from it
    Any maltodextrin in that product?

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    What tj said is correct. Plus if you make your own gainer you can choose exactly what goes into it and it will end up saving you a lot of money.

jmcbride69 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

Any maltodextrin in that product?
    Yeah it has a micronparticulated maltodextrin, waxy maize, amylase and gluco- amylase for a total of 125 g of carbs. I only take a half of a serving pwo and eat shortly after that

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbride69

Yeah it has a micronparticulated maltodextrin, waxy maize, amylase and gluco- amylase for a total of 125 g of carbs. I only take a half of a serving pwo and eat shortly after that
    That's one of my biggest issues with gainers. Maltodextrin is about 7x sweeter than normal table sugar (as I recall) and as a result, gainers are notorious for spiking insulin and promoting fat retention. As TJ indicated earlier, for weight management and even lean mass, these products simply hinder goals and don't promote them. I do still consume one shake a day (usually post work out) but I avoid products with malto.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwazza View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm currently 18 and lifting for about 1.5 years. I'm on this forum only to educate myself on steroids , not looking to use them until a good 6-7 years. I'm a severe ectomorph (5'10 around 145lbs). When I first started I was 122 lbs. My stats looks horrible but I'd say I managed to put on some good muscles. I'm pretty cut and not small anymore but I'm trying to do some more progresses...Recently I started eating very well and a lot (6-7 meals a day with good macros). I gained 10 lbs in the past 2 months (which is awesome results for me ) but I was wondering if a weight gainer would help to gain some more mass? I'm not stupid enough to think my weight gainer would replace a meal, but simply take like 2-3 scoops after my workout, NOT MORE. Is it a good idea? Would it help me gain some weight? It's so hard for me to get muscles T_T
    It seems you are progressing nicely without. I personally had a hard time gaining fat off of mass gainers. If I miss a meal or 2 during the day, I might have one, but even then I only drink a half serving.

AlinSR is offline new member
    Get a whey shake and put peanut butter and oats in it and that's the best weight gainer shake I know.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    2% milk,scoop of whey,tbsp of peanut butter,1/2 cup instant oatmeal, maybe a banana if you want..

Ive done the weight gainers, probably most of them, and in reality nothing beats making it yourself. The list of ingredients in a container of that stuff would make even a chemists head spin. Personally, I'd avoid them, but essentially its up to you!

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Hello everyone,
    You can make your own weight gainer by using a good solid whey isolate protein powder as your base,,,add a couple cups of milk,,,some fruit,,,nuts,,yougurt..etc.......

Wolv256 is offline Associate Member
    Food or shake or weight gainer, whatever, just hit your macros. Post workout you probably want about 40 grams protein and about 80 grams of carbs. There's debate over fast acting carbs (maltodextrin, dextrose, waxy maize) or slow acting carbs (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc...) but just hit those numbers.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolv256
    Food or shake or weight gainer, whatever, just hit your macros. Post workout you probably want about 40 grams protein and about 80 grams of carbs. There's debate over fast acting carbs (maltodextrin, dextrose, waxy maize) or slow acting carbs (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc...) but just hit those numbers.
    Hit your macro's yes. With the sugar in a gainer that he says he breaks him out in acne -NO. And where did you get the magic figures of 40g pro and 80g carbs? Let me guess, Broscience Weekly?!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Let me guess, Broscience Weekly?!
    Canceled my sub to that a while back, things are lookin up

chefjmo is offline Junior Member
    i never have enough time to eat first thing in the morning so my routine is 1 mass shake (1280 kcals, 267 carbs, and 50 g protein) then 1.5 hours in the gym. followed by a reg. shake and meal. then eat rite throughout the rest of the day. what im getting at is it ok i'm replaceing my first and pre workout meal with a mass shake?

Quote Originally Posted by chefjmo
    i never have enough time to eat first thing in the morning so my routine is 1 mass shake (1280 kcals, 267 carbs, and 50 g protein) then 1.5 hours in the gym. followed by a reg. shake and meal. then eat rite throughout the rest of the day. what im getting at is it ok i'm replaceing my first and pre workout meal with a mass shake?
    267g carbs? Really, in one serving? What are the ingredients?

Actually, finish it off an d start making your own shake

Whey
    Cottage cheese
    Oats
    Natty PB or fish oils (separate)

That's all you need and it's much cheaper and nothing nasty.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Faster is offline New Member
    Hello everyone,
    Most effective weight gainers are real food, steak, yams, brown rice rinse and repeat. Weight gainer powders are not worth the money. Just eat!

belva is offline Member
    I am an ectomorfus too, when bulking I eat around 4300 calories, which 1300 from weight gainer split in 2 portions half morning and half evening. 3000 cal from food. In this way I usually grow.

Quote Originally Posted by belva
    I am an ectomorfus too, when bulking I eat around 4300 calories, which 1300 from weight gainer split in 2 portions half morning and half evening. 3000 cal from food. In this way I usually grow.
    You can make a healthier, cheaper weight gainer using the ingredients I listed above. That's my morning shake and mine contains 600 cals with no sugary filler shyt.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks everyone for your answers! I started eating 4 eggs white, 1 cup REAL oatmeal (not insta one), 1 scoop whey protein and a banana in a blender. I've seen awesome results so far. Maybe I could do something similar for a Post workout shake (like Whey protein, oats, peanut butter and milk)

Thanks everyone for your answers! I started eating 4 eggs white, 1 cup REAL oatmeal (not insta one), 1 scoop whey protein and a banana in a blender. I've seen awesome results so far. Maybe I could do something similar for a Post workout shake (like Whey protein, oats, peanut butter and milk)

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post

I have to give you credit that gainer is yummy

Quote Originally Posted by Soar View Post
    I have to give you credit that gainer is yummy
    it is, when ever it's time to eat and im not feeling very hungry, ill just make one of them 2 minutes and 800 kcals gone..

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I still add Muscle Milk to damn near every shake I have. But, I still like to load my shakes with natural gainers(oats, honey, whole milk,Greek yogurt and some PB).

But, I still use the MM.

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    I still add Muscle Milk to damn near every shake I have. But, I still like to load my shakes with natural gainers(oats, honey, whole milk,Greek yogurt and some PB).

But, I still use the MM.
    same except i use muscletech, i like the taste, have tried it with cocoa powder once when i ran out of whey.. tasted like sh!t..

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post

But, I still use the MM.
    I love the cytosport stuff, mixes well and tastes great.

Started using non flavored whey from Costco tho. Simple cheap and taste like nothing lol

Crest is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    267g carbs? Really, in one serving? What are the ingredients?

Actually, finish it off an d start making your own shake

Whey
    Cottage cheese
    Oats
    Natty PB or fish oils (separate)

That's all you need and it's much cheaper and nothing nasty.
    What Whey do you recommend? All the stuff I see is still full of sugary stuff ....

Quote Originally Posted by England

What Whey do you recommend? All the stuff I see is still full of sugary stuff ....
    Whey isolate should have almost no carbs or fat. Unflavoured tastes like stink but will have no sweetener either.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thread Information