human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries

Favorite post workout shake

I'm looking for a good post workout shake.... I usually just stick with 60g of Walmart isolate protein immidiately after workout and then 25min later take another 30g with 30-60g of fast carbs but seeing as tho I'm in contest prep I want to get the best.... Anyone please post your favorite and why

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    Try Walmart great value brand liquid egg whites. 3.88 per quart with 100 grams of protein. Mix in some natty PB and your good ta go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
    Try Walmart great value brand liquid egg whites. 3.88 per quart with 100 grams of protein. Mix in some natty PB and your good ta go.
    Ya I use them along with 2/3 cup or grits, your art, small amount of kale, peanut butter, and 2 cups of frozen fruit for my pre workout shake. I eat a full meal about 45min after working out as it is I just want a good immediate post workout powder shake to drink on my way from the gym to work.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Shake? I'm usually heading for the biggest plate of food I can get my hands on!

Today was 16 oz of chicken and 1.5L of water to wash it down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk
    Shake? I'm usually heading for the biggest plate of food I can get my hands on!

Today was 16 oz of chicken and 1.5L of water to wash it down.
    I can't eat until 45min-1hr after working out.. I workout at a higher intensity then anyone I've ever personally worked out with and for about an hour post workout I sometimes can't even keep down water.... I've puked on just about every leg day in my contest prep... It you can squat 10 sets of 10 reps with only 2 min rest in between and then go an immediately eat a lb of meat then props to you... Trust me I use to be completely against shakes but I've found since I never eat immediately post workout then why not... One way or another I'm not asking what food I should eat post workout or even if food or shakes are better...... I'm just looking for the best "powder" post workout shake or shake combination

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by human project

I can't eat until 45min-1hr after working out.. I workout at a higher intensity then anyone I've ever personally worked out with and for about an hour post workout I sometimes can't even keep down water.... I've puked on just about every leg day in my contest prep... It you can squat 10 sets of 10 reps with only 2 min rest in between and then go an immediately eat a lb of meat then props to you... Trust me I use to be completely against shakes but I've found since I never eat immediately post workout then why not... One way or another I'm not asking what food I should eat post workout or even if food or shakes are better...... I'm just looking for the best "powder" post workout shake or shake combination
    Lol....wasn't busting your balls. I've been there too. Sometimes I'm forcing the food down and barely keeping myself from throwing it up. After some work outs Im so hungry I could eat my own face. On other occasions, the food almost nauseates me and Im forcing it all the way down!

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My favorite PWO shake has been Dymatize Nutrition's 50gr whey isolate w/ ON's 5-6 gr of micronized creatine monohydrate and a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon all blended together with plenty of cold water.

I don't do PWO carbs anymore.
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 02-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    1 scoop Optimum Nutrition: Platinum Hydrowhey with 5g AllMax Nutrition: Micronized Creatine Monohydrate in 6-8 ounces of water immediately after workout. I've been using Vitargo S2 immediately after my workouts with my shake as well...

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    My favorite PWO shake has been Dymatize Nutrition's 50gr whey isolate w/ ON's 5-6 gr of micronized creatine monohydrate and a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon all blended together with plenty of cold water.

ridiculous avi....is that u

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

Lol....wasn't busting your balls. I've been there too. Sometimes I'm forcing the food down and barely keeping myself from throwing it up. After some work outs Im so hungry I could eat my own face. On other occasions, the food almost nauseates me and Im forcing it all the way down!
    I know you wernt busting my balls man. You've always posted on my forums and I have tons of respect for you so I hope that didnt come off like an attitude bub.. In all reality I've talked plenty of shit on protein powder but as of recently for some reason "probably a combination of much faster pace workouts for cutting, and the outrageous amount of shit I'm currently on" but I just can't keep food down post workout... Now usually I train strongman so I eat a meal about halfway though my workout and then another immediately post workout but that type of workout calls for a much different pace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer

Is the cinnamon just for taste?? I've pretty much pulled my post workout carbs unless I actually feel low of coarse... You think I should still take some type of sugar even with me being so close to my comp?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shsm
    1 scoop Optimum Nutrition: Platinum Hydrowhey with 5g AllMax Nutrition: Micronized Creatine Monohydrate in 6-8 ounces of water immediately after workout. I've been using Vitargo S2 immediately after my workouts with my shake as well...
    How you like the vitargo?? I've been kinda thinking of giving it a try... Also what do you think about the aspect of faster absorbson from the hydro whey?? Do you really feel it is digested faster?

Quote Originally Posted by human project View Post
    Is the cinnamon just for taste?? I've pretty much pulled my post workout carbs unless I actually feel low of coarse... You think I should still take some type of sugar even with me being so close to my comp?
    Yes, cinnamon is mostly for taste; however, a quick Google research would also show you the many amazing properties of this ancient spice, including its insulin mimicking effect.

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by human project

How you like the vitargo?? I've been kinda thinking of giving it a try... Also what do you think about the aspect of faster absorbson from the hydro whey?? Do you really feel it is digested faster?
    Honestly I don't notice a difference. I've been taking it for about two weeks immediately after my workouts in the same shaker cup as my protein shake. It tastes like pure sh*t and it creates a really thick mixture despite me mixing it with ~16 ounces of water. After I finish this huge tub of 66 servings I'll more than likely go back to blended oats. I've never had issues recovering and feeling normal/a little sore the next day and it hasn't changed anything, just leaves me out of $125.00

"Platinum Hydrowhey is the fastest, purest, most advanced whey protein we've ever developed. In a word: excellence. By hydrolyzing the protein in this premium formula we've created our fastest-acting whey protein yet. Hydrolyzing breaks larger proteins down into smaller pieces that are able to get into your system rapidly, enabling your muscles to start rebuilding quickly. For added effectiveness, we've also enhanced this revolutionary formula with digestive enzymes and micronized branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). In addition to being fast, Platinum Hydrowhey is also ultra-pure. That's because it's made entirely with hydrolyzed whey protein isolates. So there's no excess fat, cholesterol, or lactose to slow down your progress."

It's more on the expensive side compared to ON Gold Standard, which is another excellent choice. I believe it digests faster as it is entirely made up of the most advanced and fasted digesting protein on the market.

ON Gold Standard will not deliver results as fast as Hydrowhey. Both are solid of course, but if you have the money to dish out I would buy Platinum Hydrowhey any day and take it either immediately post workout and immediately upon waking. ON Gold Standard for meal replacement and/or ~30 minutes pre workout

Hope I helped with my 19 year old knowledge

Blog Entries

Yes, cinnamon is mostly for taste; however, a quick Google research would also show you the many amazing properties of this ancient spice, including its insulin mimicking effect.
    Really now....???? Nice... Thanks man ill start doin that.. I love cinnamon; especially with a little vanilla.. I'm gonna start adding that to my 2 blenders full of random shit I blend bc i can't chew and swallow normally that I drink every morning.

Blog Entries

As for post workout tho if I was trying to make the ultimate best post workout drink.... What all would you include..???

Quote Originally Posted by human project View Post
    As for post workout tho if I was trying to make the ultimate best post workout drink.... What all would you include..???
    This would really depend on the individual as there are many variables regarding what would be the best PWO shake. Your goals, daily macro breakdown, personal taste etc. are some of these variables.

I know many people also add PB to their PWO shakes, not a great idea IMO, being someone with a background in nutrition, I would never recommend fat intake when insulin is deliberately triggered, as this will naturally lead to fat gain.

My PWO shake includes 50gr of vanilla flavored whey isolate, one tea spoon full of micronized creatine mono and again, one tea spoon full of powdered cinnamon. No carbs or fat for me as for my PWO shake.

Thread Information