speedsta is offline Junior Member

Creatine with Grape Juice or Grapefuit Juice?

Ive been on <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> for around 3 weeks now taking it with Grapefruit juice.
    However, ive heard that its in fact Grape Juice not Grapefruit juice.
    Since researching ive heard Some people say take it with Grape Juice and others say grape fruit.

Which one is it?
    (im taking Creatine Monohydrate).

And is there a better Alternative?
    Thanks

yellows2k is offline Member
    Tell me your reasoning why you take it with grapefruit or grape juice? Do you have any reasoning, or is it because it just said so on the website?

Try the search button, there's tons of info there on what to take it with, when to take it, the best types, etc.

because it helps absorb the creatine quicker.
    rather than using dextrose

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    stick with the grape JUICE.

Veritas is offline New Member

Question

Ummmm.... Isnt he taking the grape juice for the fructose, going for the insulin ride to the muscles? Or am I just missing something.

Yellow had me a little confused.

Originally posted by speedsta
    because it helps absorb the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> quicker.
    rather than using dextrose
    Really? How so?

It may not be as potent as dextrose but it still triggers an insulin responce, dosent it?

Dude, your starting to freak me out and I'm not the one on trial. What da heck is goin on here?

I'm just curious as to how it would absorb quicker, I have never used creatine and would like to know. I KNOW for a fact as a far as sugars go, dextrose absorbs quicker than any other, but I'm wondering how creatine is absorbed quicker using grape juice.

Aaaaaah. What threw me off was the original question of why he was using grape juice. Got ya now. Yeah man, if you can, go for the dextrose.

Yeah, and grapefruit is highly acidic. May not be in the juice long enough to damage it but it's safer to go with grape if you must go the juice route.

TheGame826 is offline Member
    yes keep with the grape juice, and cranberry juice should work as good too. its the idea behind celltech, the suger (insulin ) pushes the creatine right into your muscles almost immediately.

Originally posted by TheGame826
    yes keep with the grape juice, and cranberry juice should work as good too. its the idea behind celltech, the suger (insulin) pushes the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> right into your muscles almost immediately.
    Is it the type of sugar? I don't see why dextrose wouldn't work better? Someone please explain....

Well, I have heard that fructose only increases blood glucose about 25% and that is slow absorption.

Dextrose is supposed to raise blood glucose about 70% with a much faster absorption.

Yes yellow, it is something I read on a site. None of us are molecular biologists and need to rely, on some part, in what we read rather than personal studies.

Here is something I got off the Tmag site ( http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/210lean.html )
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next, I'd like to illustrate the differences between popular liquid carbohydrates including maltodextrin, dextrose, fructose, and sucrose.

Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer (a string of glucose units put together, similar to the protein peptide). It is therefore, by definition, a complex carbohydrate. However it's more complex nature does NOT slow digestion. Therefore, the GI and II remain high. Maltodextrin is the absolute best carbohydrate to consume during exercise for rapidly delivering blood glucose and for muscle glycogen recovery. It's also best for fluid uptake.

Dextrose (glucose) is a simple carbohydrate unit (similar to the amino acid). While it's good for exercise situations (malto is better), you're probably better off adding some dextrose to your maltodextrin formula. A little bit of dextrose may enhance the already excellent fluid uptake that occurs with maltodextrin during exercise.

Fructose is a simple carbohydrate unit, but it's structurally different from glucose. Due to its structure, it can possibly cause GI problems and/or decrease fluid uptake with exercise. Fructose, unlike other simple carbs, has to be "treated" in the liver and it reaches the muscle slowly.

Finally, sucrose consists of glucose and fructose units bonded together. Therefore, upon digestion, you get glucose and fructose in the GI (and the benefits and consequences of each).

Based on the three studies I reviewed (Blom et al 1987, ven Den Burgh et al 1996, Piehl et al 2000), it appears that dextrose is 72% faster than fructose for muscle glycogen resynthesis . As a result, at the end of 8 hours, muscle glycogen was 30% higher with dextrose ingestion. However, in another study, at the end of 4 hours, muscle glycogen was 15% higher with maltodextrin ingestion vs. dextrose. So dextrose kicks fructose's butt although malto beats up on dextrose.

chinups Guest
    So basicly you should take dextrose everytime you use creatine, or NO

I think so. Except maybe pre-workout where you want the uptake to take a little longer so it lasts the whole workout. But, I'm totaly guessing.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Take it both times with creatine.

I have been using GrapeFUIT juice, and I think the effects are wearing off (I can tell beacuse I dont get gas nemore, however when using it with Apple Juice i had bad gas)..lol

However, besides using Dextrose (too hard to get in Aus), whats the best thing to take Creatine with?

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    i don't really think it matters. A wise man, an expert in the field of training & nutrition told me that the creatine you take today doesn't get used for 5 days, which may partially explain the loading myth. I've never noticed a difference in taking creatine different ways, with different juices or other "transport" methods. But taking it with grape juice would be a helluva lot cheaper than taking "placibo tech". " Hey, try our new placibo tech, it's 1,324,987,000,000 times better than dirt."

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    Grapefruit juice and Cranberry juice are bad to take it with they break down the creatine into creatinine because of greater acid. Creatinine is bad for kidneys if you had about 2 lbs of it in you. Stick with grape juice or apple juice they have less acid.

Thread Information