Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hellomycognomen

Thread: Protein powders

Lee_1978 is offline Member

Protein powders

I'm preparing my second cycle and I'm in two minds as to what protein powder to opt for. In the past when training naturally, I've always gone for the high end stuff (ON, USN etc) in the skewed belief it was more beneficial, but when on cycle does it really account for anything more? What do you guys go for when cycling?

Blog Entries
    Besides the differences in digestibility, each protein type has a biological value which will dictate the protein quality. IMO you should always go with a reputable company even though you might have to pay a little more. Whey isolate dominates, simply because its the best. I used to buy ON but now I prefer Dymatize, its by far the best tasting protein Ive ever had in my life.
    Splifton likes this.

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    I've always avoided protein powders, but the one I did occasionally use was a flavorless 98% whey isolate.

So, the consensus is that whey isolates or the more expensive brands are in fact superior?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_1978 View Post
    So, the consensus is that whey isolates or the more expensive brands are in fact superior?
    Only reason I stuck with such a high purity whey isolate was to eliminate any lactose/derivatives and my brand came with a lab analysis on the batch to validate their claims of filler/preservative free.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Besides the differences in digestibility, each protein type has a biological value which will dictate the protein quality. IMO you should always go with a reputable company even though you might have to pay a little more. Whey isolate dominates, simply because its the best. I used to buy ON but now I prefer Dymatize, its by far the best tasting protein Ive ever had in my life.
    I've just checked out Dymatize and made an order for their Pina Colada flavour whey isolate.

CaptainGoose is offline Junior Member
    I take MusclePharm Combat powder because its a pretty good price at Costco and it has different kinds of protein mixed into it, Hydrolysate, Isolate, Concentrate, Egg albumin and Casein. Only downside of buying from Costco is that they have only Cookies N Cream flavour so you don't get any variety. The flavour is pretty good though so I'm not getting sick of it.

Also has solid reviews on Bodybuilding dot com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    I take MusclePharm Combat powder because its a pretty good price at Costco and it has different kinds of protein mixed into it, Hydrolysate, Isolate, Concentrate, Egg albumin and Casein. Only downside of buying from Costco is that they have only Cookies N Cream flavour so you don't get any variety. The flavour is pretty good though so I'm not getting sick of it.

Also has solid reviews on Bodybuilding dot com
    That is why I just avoid them all together. Most people worry about flavor or some want very specific macronutritional quantities. I just felt in the end I was always looking for something more as I felt I never got my bang for buck and no matter how many brands or flavors I test out I'm the one getting screwed over.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I only use Whey Isolate. My body absorbs it well and no stomach issues like gas or bloat that some protein(s) can cause.

Blog Entries
    Brand is important because well established companies have a reputation to maintain. Most perform independent verification to make sure their products contain the quantities and purities they list.

Whey isolate is the best because it has the highest biological value number.

You can read more on this here:

How to Build Muscle Fast: Biological value (BV) Are All Protein Sources The Same
    Splifton likes this.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I didn't read the other comments.

Food is food. On cycle or not.

Your best source of food is REAL food! So eat up.

If the shake is more convenient and that's your only option at that time. Drink whey protien.

Yes there is the whole protien spiking and such. In that case, do what u have been. By good protien. It's that simple

Of course - food will always be more nutritional than protein substitutes. I'm aware of that, but PWO is the best time to consume protein powder as it's fast acting. My question is a about differences in quality of powders.

Blog Entries
    Of course - food will always be more nutritional than protein substitutes. I'm aware of that, but PWO is the best time to consume protein powder as it's fast acting. My question is a about differences in quality of powders.
    The so called "anabolic window" of opportunity post workout has already been largely made null.
    The peri-workout window is more useful. Its most optimal to consume approx 40g protein rich meals every 4-5hours.

Additionally digestion times differ depending on the source so you could drink a post workout Casein protein shake and it would be completely different from a Hydrolyzed whey isolate.

-Cheers
    Splifton likes this.

Tpowered is offline New Member
    forget the powders man. real food is the way to go!

Thread Information