m33
    m33 is offline Junior Member

To those who use Red Yeast Rice

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I just came across it. Apparently a while back the FDA banned all red yeast rice products that contain lovastatin (the chemical that reduces cholesterol) because its the same chemical in many commercial drugs for cholesterol reduction. The red yeast rice you can buy in stores does not contain any lovastatin and therefore any cholesterol reducing effects are nil. Thats why most manufacturers of the red yeast rice you can buy in stores don't advertise any cholesterol reducing effects. I found quite a few articles talking about it in depth and have since decided to stop wasting my time taking the red yeast rice I have. But thats just me. Just thought I'd pass that along to anyone who may not be aware of it.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Nice find.

Would anyone happen to know why it was banned?

m33
    m33 is offline Junior Member
    It was banned because the cholesterol reducing chemical in it (lovastatin) is the same chemical thats in prescription cholesterol medications. You can still buy red yeast rice, but not any that contains the chemical lovastatin, which is what makes it actually do anything for your cholesterol levels.

romo6 is offline Senior Member
    You are right,the best red yeast rice is made in japan sometimes you can find it on ebay believe it or not.

steroidlike is offline New Member
    chinese red yeast rice is also a good source, red yeast rice called kojic rice, is a traditional Chinese culinary and medicinal product that’s used to treat cholesterol levels and other ailments.

Thread Information