Thread: Zinc Dosing

jwh7699 is offline Member

Zinc Dosing

I found the below conversions on Examine.com. I wonder if this true or not? Don't want to take too much or not enough. Thanks!!

So if I had a bottle of Zinc Sulfate, 50mg per tablet, would I have to take 4 tablets of 50mg each, totaling 200mg to come close to the recommended amount of 220mg Zinc Sulfate equaling 50mg of Elemental Zinc?

Different forms of zinc contain different amounts of elemental zinc, which refers to the weight of the zinc molecule by itself (Note: Product labels tend to mark the elemental weight)

Zinc citrate is approximately 34% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 146 mg zinc citrate.

Zinc sulfate is approximately 22% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 220 mg zinc sulfate.

Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate.

Zinc monomethionine is approximately 21% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 238 mg zinc monomethionine.

Zinc should be supplemented daily.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Care should be taken when administering supplements in any form, zinc included. Too much zinc can result in copper depletion. Also, some forms of zinc are more desirable than others. Zinc sulfate is probably the most common because it’s the most affordable; however, it’s likely the most difficult for the body to absorb and could like cause gastric distress. Zinc picolinate may be the easiest for the body to utilize. Zinc gluconate is the form probably most widely used in cold virus inhibition. The lozenge form probably yields the best absorption. Zinc is best absorbed on an empty stomach but will likely cause nausea. Sounds like you need to do some more homework on what exactly you’re looking for and what you want to accomplish. Most importantly, it would be wise to have your zinc levels confirmed via blood work prior to supplementation.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
    Care should be taken when administering supplements in any form, zinc included. Too much zinc can result in copper depletion. Also, some forms of zinc are more desirable than others. Zinc sulfate is probably the most common because it’s the most affordable; however, it’s likely the most difficult for the body to absorb and could like cause gastric distress. Zinc picolinate may be the easiest for the body to utilize. Zinc gluconate is the form probably most widely used in cold virus inhibition. The lozenge form probably yields the best absorption. Zinc is best absorbed on an empty stomach but will likely cause nausea. Sounds like you need to do some more homework on what exactly you’re looking for and what you want to accomplish. Most importantly, it would be wise to have your zinc levels confirmed via blood work prior to supplementation.
    Thank you for posting this. Helpful information that I have not read up lately. I have heard more people talk about zink and men's health lately and most do not know anything about it or minerals in general. Minerals are stored longer in the body like Vitamins A, D, E & K so they stay in your system longer and pose a greater risk for toxicity. So blood work is important.

jwh7699 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
    Feel free to scroll on by next time.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7699 View Post
    Feel free to scroll on by next time.
    You got it, jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I use a ZINC(50mg)/COPPER(2mg) capsule once per day.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    Can i ask why you think it should be supplemented?

Anything should only be supplemented if there is a known deficiency. Anyone that’s healthy with a good diet shouldn’t need to supplement things like zinc.

Thread Information