• 1 Post By Clove1234
  • 1 Post By CMB
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By CMB
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere

Thread: Electrolyte ratio + does this seem legit?

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member

Electrolyte ratio + does this seem legit?

Most electrolyte products seem to have a different ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sometimes chloride or something else too. I was wondering if there's any research on what ratio has proven to be best? I remember reading coconut water works very well and that is dominantly potassium (10-20x more than the rest).

Also do you guys think this stuff is any good?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potassium-c...ssium+chloride
    Much cheaper than supplement brands potassium but why would it not be what it is...

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    I would personally stay away from coconut water, I don’t like to drink my carbs

Ephemeral is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnsplg View Post
    Most electrolyte products seem to have a different ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sometimes chloride or something else too. I was wondering if there's any research on what ratio has proven to be best? I remember reading coconut water works very well and that is dominantly potassium (10-20x more than the rest).

Much cheaper than supplement brands potassium but why would it not be what it is...
    I don't go with ratios, but instead I guess how much I need from each a day, and if my food doesn't cover it, I take the difference in supplements. That potassium product seems to be good, but I don't think most ppl need to take extra potassium unless their diet sux.

Quote Originally Posted by Clove1234 View Post
    I would personally stay away from coconut water, I don’t like to drink my carbs
    Same here that's why I was just looking at the ratios of minerals from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeral View Post
    I don't go with ratios, but instead I guess how much I need from each a day, and if my food doesn't cover it, I take the difference in supplements. That potassium product seems to be good, but I don't think most ppl need to take extra potassium unless their diet sux.
    I get several times the RDI of pretty much everything, I still get depleted of electrolytes due to how physically active I am, it's evident since when I take these store bought electrolyte effervescent tabs I have no cramping issues during training.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member

I’ve seen everything ranging from 1:1 (the modern recommended ratio for modern slackasses) to 16:1 potassium to sodium (paleolithic era estimated intakes). The latter is due to most whole foods being pretty low in sodium and high in potassium, and would also explain why salt was such a valuable commodity for most of human history.

I personally tend to hit around 2:1 p:s (7500:3750) though there’s obviously daily variance.
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I’ve seen everything ranging from 1:1 (the modern recommended ratio for modern slackasses) to 16:1 potassium to sodium (paleolithic era estimated intakes). The latter is due to most whole foods being pretty low in sodium and high in potassium, and would also explain why salt was such a valuable commodity for most of human history.

I personally tend to hit around 2:1 p:s (7500:3750) though there’s obviously daily variance.
    I think I do fine with 2-3g sodium per day but even 5g of potassium from foods doesn't seem to do it. I think I'll go with potassium powder and try 2-3g pre workout and increase if it doesn't help.

Any opinions on whether to go for potassium chloride or gluconate? Too much chlorine will just keep my insides clean right? :P

I think I do fine with 2-3g sodium per day but even 5g of potassium from foods doesn't seem to do it. I think I'll go with potassium powder and try 2-3g pre workout and increase if it doesn't help.

Any opinions on whether to go for potassium chloride or gluconate? Too much chlorine will just keep my insides clean right? :P
    I just use potassium chloride, when needed, though that’s rare for me. I have days where I’ll go well over 8500 mg just from food. Since it wasn’t required on labels until this past year, there are a lot of foods with very high potassium to sodium ratios that most people wouldn’t think of (beef, salmon, carrots, pumpkin, etc.).

Amusingly enough, the food often thought of as a great potassium source (bananas) isn’t really all that hot from a potassium to calorie ratio stance. 89 kcals of banana is about 350mg of potassium. 89 kcals of carrots? About 700mg.

I just use potassium chloride, when needed, though that’s rare for me. I have days where I’ll go well over 8500 mg just from food. Since it wasn’t required on labels until this past year, there are a lot of foods with very high potassium to sodium ratios that most people wouldn’t think of (beef, salmon, carrots, pumpkin, etc.).

Amusingly enough, the food often thought of as a great potassium source (bananas) isn’t really all that hot from a potassium to calorie ratio stance. 89 kcals of banana is about 350mg of potassium. 89 kcals of carrots? About 700mg.
    Yeah too much carbs in the bananas and they don't make you full lol.

In my last anadrol cycle I had some very serious sides regarding excessive pump and cramping. First set went great beat the book by a lot then the rest got ruined. I'm guessing it was too powerful in drawing in nutrients and minerals into the muscle cells (just assuming here) so I need to find solutions for next time I run an oral and even for every day use as I am prone to cramping. Doesn't help having physically demanding work hehe.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    Pickle juice for the win. I drink that stuff all the time. Never have problems with cramps

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member

Hello.

I did not read any posts execpt this one, so forgive me if I missed something.

I highly recommend you drink lemon water everyday for electrolytes. Here is a natural, cheap, healthy, and enjoyable way to replenish lost electrolytes as well as providing a potent dose of antioxidants. Really, electrolytes in my opinion can be obtained from foods in ample amounts and are not worth supplementing (assuming your diet is sufficient).

Seriously though, try the lemon water. The stuff is great and I have introduced it to friend/family who agree wholeheartedly! The easiest way is to buy the juice at a grocery store and just squirt it in your water bottle. I don't like spending the time/effort cutting the fruit and squeezing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Hello.

I did not read any posts execpt this one, so forgive me if I missed something.

I highly recommend you drink lemon water everyday for electrolytes. Here is a natural, cheap, healthy, and enjoyable way to replenish lost electrolytes as well as providing a potent dose of antioxidants. Really, electrolytes in my opinion can be obtained from foods in ample amounts and are not worth supplementing (assuming your diet is sufficient).

Seriously though, try the lemon water. The stuff is great and I have introduced it to friend/family who agree wholeheartedly! The easiest way is to buy the juice at a grocery store and just squirt it in your water bottle. I don't like spending the time/effort cutting the fruit and squeezing it.
    I can guarantee you that anyone following a “clean” diet is sodium deficient, unless they are salting the hell out of their foods.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    I can guarantee you that anyone following a “clean” diet is sodium deficient, unless they are salting the hell out of their foods.
    Hi gallowmere.

As far as sodium is concerned.... in almost all situations, the opposite is the truth. The vast majority of people (myself included!) consume far more salt than is recommended. The RDA (which admittedly is not made for BBers or athletes) is 2,000mg of sodium a day. You'd be amazed how easy it is to get 5 times that amount of sodium without even trying.

An excess of sodium causes water retention and an increase in BP, which of course is bad for the body.

Though I understand your point. A "clean" diet could in theory be less than the 2000mg recommendation. Moreover, an athlete would need more sodium than a sedentary person whom the 2000mg recommendation was intended for. Another consideration is water intake. A BBer who drinks 1.5 gallons a day would be more at risk of electrolyte imbalance regarding sodium than Joe Schmoe at his work desk. There are many factors to consider... but I doubt very much many people even on "clean" diets are walking around sodium deficient.

Just my .02$, cheers!
    Last edited by CMB; 01-22-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Hi gallowmere.

As far as sodium is concerned.... in almost all situations, the opposite is the truth. The vast majority of people (myself included!) consume far more salt than is recommended. The RDA (which admittedly is not made for BBers or athletes) is 2,000mg of sodium a day. You'd be amazed how easy it is to get 5 times that amount of sodium without even trying.

An excess of sodium causes water retention and an increase in BP, which of course is bad for the body.

With that said, lemon water is absent sodium, and this is a positive to be sure.
    The RDA is currently in dispute, even for couch potatoes. As anyone training hard, you’d definitely need more anyway.

I personally track my electrolyte intake along with kcals and macros. Even eating 3000 kcals per day, unless I supplement sodium, I’d only hit about 1200 mg per day. This actually lead me to nasty low blood pressure issues when squatting, deadlifting and cycling. On top of that, the lowered water retention actually shot my training recovery to shit as well.

As I said in my previous post, there’s a reason that salt was an extremely valuable commodity through most of human history. Whole foods are depressingly low in sodium and high in potassium.

Electrolyte ratio + does this seem legit?-20180122_141951.jpg

This is my diet right now and I still need some electrolyte tabs for good training sessions. Powdered potassium apparently gives you the shits when taken in too large amounts so I'll try a natural source if I'm going to get the same amount per serving. Coconut water seems to be the winner with the least amount of carbs per 250-300mg potassium and some sodium per serving.

Damn carrots really seem to be the winner but I'll be looking like bugs bunny outside the gym LOL. Might go with it anyway.

Damn carrots really seem to be the winner but I'll be looking like bugs bunny outside the gym LOL. Might go with it anyway.
    I eat roughly 400 grams of carrots nearly every day. Stupid cheap, lots of electros, and a passable source of starches, though obviously less dense on the latter than sweet or white potatoes.

Also, they’re damned amazing when dipped in almond butter.

Gallowmere suppose I down about 250g of carrots for 800mg potassium, I'd need to eat that long before the workout though compared to coconut water... Think 2-3 hours is enough or more? Lots of fiber in carrots...

I eat roughly 400 grams of carrots nearly every day. Stupid cheap, lots of electros, and a passable source of starches, though obviously less dense on the latter than sweet or white potatoes.

Also, they’re damned amazing when dipped in almond butter.
    When cutting this is my mindset too, I eat stuff rich in micronutrients and can go long without hungry pangs and I feel damn good.

Maybe for non cutting phases I can juice them...

Gallowmere suppose I down about 250g of carrots for 800mg potassium, I'd need to eat that long before the workout though compared to coconut water... Think 2-3 hours is enough or more? Lots of fiber in carrots...
    I actually eat mine post workout, along with a bunch of cucumber (pretty damned good potassium to calories as well, and with nearly zero sodium).

I still have an inner fat kid that lets me eat copious amounts of volume until about three months into a bulk. I’m five months into this one now, so I recently replaced half of the carrots with some sweet potato, because I’m starting to get sick of food.

Thanks for the info gallowmere. Just got an idea if I juice the carrot and eat the pulp after drinking the juice, I should be able to absorb the potassium quickly right? since liquids get digested by themselves. Just feel bad for throwing away food I always eat everything. Don't mind extra fiber too I don't get digestion issues.

Thanks for the info gallowmere. Just got an idea if I juice the carrot and eat the pulp after drinking the juice, I should be able to absorb the potassium quickly right? since liquids get digested by themselves. Just feel bad for throwing away food I always eat everything. Don't mind extra fiber too I don't get digestion issues.
    Yeah, I’d imagine that juicing would lead to more rapid gastric emptying, and therefore more rapid nutrient absorption.

Thread Information