Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Dietary Supplements and the High-Performance Athlete

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Dietary Supplements and the High-Performance Athlete

Should I take a supplement?

Nutrition usually makes a small but potentially valuable contribution to successful performance in elite athletes, and dietary supplements can make a minor contribution to this nutrition program. Nonetheless, supplement use is widespread at all levels of sport. Products described as supplements target different issues, including the management of micronutrient deficiencies, supply of convenient forms of energy and macronutrients, and provision of direct benefits to performance or indirect benefits such as supporting intense training regimens. The appropriate use of some supplements can offer benefits to the athlete, but others may be harmful to the athlete’s health, performance, and/or livelihood and reputation if an anti-doping rule violation results. A complete nutritional assessment should be undertaken before decisions regarding supplement use are made. Supplements claiming to directly or indirectly enhance performance are typically the largest group of products marketed to athletes, but only a few(including caffeine, creatine, specific buffering agents and nitrate) have good evidence of benefits. However, responses are affected by the scenario of use and may vary widely between individuals because of factors that include genetics, the microbiome, and habitual diet. Supplements intended to enhance performance should be thoroughly trialed in training or simulated competition before implementation in competition. Inadvertent ingestion of substances prohibited under the anti-doping codes that govern elite sport is a known risk of taking some supplements. Protection of the athlete’s health and awareness of the potential for harm must be paramount, and expert professional opinion and assistance is strongly advised before embarking on supplement use.

FULL TEXT: https://goo.gl/mavozZ
    Quester likes this.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Some supplements have been shown to improve athletic performance but I believe have an overall negative impact on health.

For instance, jack3d definitely helped me focus and grind out whatever, but the stimulant in it causes high blood pressure for many hours. Is the short-term benefit worth the long-term stress the heart goes through...? Not in my opinion!

Thread Information