Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windex

Thread: Potassium bicarbonate

  1. #1
    morton30 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    159

    Potassium bicarbonate

    Hi everyone i have recently started keto to cut im on 500mg test. since i have been on keto i feel lethargic but more mentally if that makes sense and every night i have been getting restless legs so after a bit of googling it looks like im low on Electrolytes specifically potassium and magnesium. after crunching the numbers i am no where near the 7k potassium needed all my 25 carbs are made up with broccoli or avocados and still nowhere near so i have brought a 1kg bag of potassium bicarbonate off ebay and some magnesium tablets to supplement has anyone had any experiance with potassium bicarbonate how to dose ect?

  2. #2
    Windex is offline Staff ~ HRT Optimization Specialist
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by morton30 View Post
    Hi everyone i have recently started keto to cut im on 500mg test. since i have been on keto i feel lethargic but more mentally if that makes sense and every night i have been getting restless legs so after a bit of googling it looks like im low on Electrolytes specifically potassium and magnesium. after crunching the numbers i am no where near the 7k potassium needed all my 25 carbs are made up with broccoli or avocados and still nowhere near so i have brought a 1kg bag of potassium bicarbonate off ebay and some magnesium tablets to supplement has anyone had any experiance with potassium bicarbonate how to dose ect?
    7000mg or Potassium is definitely a way to break your toilet and blowout your butthole. Heck the biggest strongmen like Thor and Shaw and Eddie Hall are capped at 5000mg.

    You likely only need 3500-4100mg.

    Drink coconut water.

    Do not use potassium pills. Nuun would be the only supplement but you are going to spend more on Nuun tablets then a house mortgage.

    So drink coconut water.0
    I no longer check my inbox. If you PM me I will not reply.

  3. #3
    morton30 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    159
    I've had a reply on another forum a teaspoon of Potassium bicarbonate has 4000 mg of Potassium and one says they add a teaspoon to a gallon jug of water and drink thouout the day while on keto. I just googled coconut water it has 5carbs per 100 ml and hardly any potassium?
    Last edited by morton30; 11-19-2019 at 03:06 AM.

  4. #4
    Windex is offline Staff ~ HRT Optimization Specialist
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    4,226
    Getting micronutrients from supplements is not the same as real food. The coconut water I drink is like 870mg potassium for 1 bottle and has 20 or 25 calories.

    99% of people have no idea how to actually do Keto properly because people don't understand it's a medical intervention based diet and not designed for bodybuilding. Not surprising a bunch of gym bros suggested a pill.
    Gallowmere likes this.
    I no longer check my inbox. If you PM me I will not reply.

  5. #5
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,047
    I find it weird that the training community is often hard on vegans because of dietary deficiencies needing supplementation, yet at least half of them fondle themselves over keto.

    Jesus, at least the vegans take months (not hours) for their particular deficiencies to manifest (B-12 has liver storage and D3 in the fat and you can go outside shirtless to offset some of it).

    Eat a goddamned potato or carrots and most of your electrolyte issues will go away. Magnesium however is a problem for everyone, because our farming practices are dogshit. Even tested spinach registers something like 75% lower in mag now than it did 50 years ago.

  6. #6
    morton30 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I find it weird that the training community is often hard on vegans because of dietary deficiencies needing supplementation, yet at least half of them fondle themselves over keto.

    Jesus, at least the vegans take months (not hours) for their particular deficiencies to manifest (B-12 has liver storage and D3 in the fat and you can go outside shirtless to offset some of it).

    Eat a goddamned potato or carrots and most of your electrolyte issues will go away. Magnesium however is a problem for everyone, because our farming practices are dogshit. Even tested spinach registers something like 75% lower in mag now than it did 50 years ago.
    half the reason im on keto is im on mirtazapine (Remeron) for sleep but one main side effect it gives you an insane appetite for carbs its one of the few drugs uk doctors prescribe for weight gain and trying to cut on it is near enough impossible with carbs but ive read online a low carb diet is the only way to go once your body is in ketosis the cravings stop i am now in ketosis and my cravings has gone from now till christmas im going to wean myself off the mirtazapine and after xmas ill stop my cut and carb back up. the other reason is i lost 60lbs on it before but in that time i never lifted a weight or cared about micro nutrients this time though i dont want to loose everything i worked for but finding hard to get certain nutrients eg potassium .

  7. #7
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by morton30 View Post
    half the reason im on keto is im on mirtazapine (Remeron) for sleep but one main side effect it gives you an insane appetite for carbs its one of the few drugs uk doctors prescribe for weight gain and trying to cut on it is near enough impossible with carbs but ive read online a low carb diet is the only way to go once your body is in ketosis the cravings stop i am now in ketosis and my cravings has gone from now till christmas im going to wean myself off the mirtazapine and after xmas ill stop my cut and carb back up. the other reason is i lost 60lbs on it before but in that time i never lifted a weight or cared about micro nutrients this time though i dont want to loose everything i worked for but finding hard to get certain nutrients eg potassium .
    I definitely get you there. That’s part of what soured me so hard on keto, from a performance aspect. Cut from 265 lbs. to 150 (at 5’10”) using it, but with no training, I ended up looking like a fucking alien from X-Files.

    So I got the bright idea to just add calories back in from 70/30fat and protein and start training, doing a makeshift keto bulk. My training was ass for all eight months, I just got fat, and I didn’t even see much of what one would call “noob gains” until I switched to a high carb approach a few months later.

    This isn’t to say that keto is bad in general (it clearly has it’s purposes), but if it can hamper a total neophyte, something is wrong. We always hear “newbies can do anything and it’ll work”. Clearly not.

    All of this is just anecdotal experience, but for me, it directly shits on everything that the training world seems to like about it. If I hear one more fucker say “you’re not fat adapted”, I’ll choke them. If a year isn’t long enough for fat adaptation, I just have no words.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •