C.K. is offline Junior Member

How much protien can our bodies take in at once?

I recently was told that our bodies can't take in more than like 40 grams at one time..like we can drink it all down but out bodies cant process it all and use it all at once. So If we took in 60 grams then 20 would be a waste. What do you guys think or know?

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.K.
    I recently was told that our bodies can't take in more than like 40 grams at one time..like we can drink it all down but out bodies cant process it all and use it all at once. So If we took in 60 grams then 20 would be a waste. What do you guys think or know?
    I think it varies person to person but 40-50 is what I have heard

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Bump i heard 50 also

Russ616 is offline Senior Member

Body weight

Quote Originally Posted by C.K.
    It has a lot to do with body weight. I guy that weighs 160 might only be able to handle 35 grams at a serving. I guy that weights 250 could easily handle 45+. Another thing to keep in mind, A serving is every 3 hours. So after the first hour your body has broken down around 1/3 of what ever you took in. That means that if someone consumes 40 grams , two hours later they could consume another 26+ grams again and not waste it.

Sounds good to me guys, looks like I have been wasting.

detroit is offline Banned
    Im not disagreeing with anyone, but there is speculation for further conversation. This is a very interesting topic, and im just trying to feed my brain...

Im not totally clear on this, what exactly is "at one time..." mean? Most digestive cycles are about 12-15 hours from start to finish (the time to turn a days worth of food into pooh). Why would you limit the amount of protein (or any nutrients) at one sitting if you have that long to allow your body to absorb. (Im not saying to down 10 Met-Rx shakes and call it a day). I understand that there has to be a limit, but i would think the limit would be a full stomach.

Can anyone shed some more light on this topic...

cb25 is offline Banned
    i think it's more a function of how much is in one area at one time...it may take many hours to fully process...but if you take 100g of protein at once...it's all going to hit the small intestine within a short time period...this can hinder absorption.

Somethings compete for absorption, amino acids, minerals, etc and this is why you can't take it all in at once...

I had it all down, and now your all confusing me. I think we are talking about how much is too much for 1 serving of protien before it starts being wasted in/out the body. I mean we can only process so much at one time, and then we can take it agian a couple hours later.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    No one has been able to prove that the human body can't absorb 50+ grams of protein at one sitting. I understand how my body works. After my crazy az fuk workouts i take 100g of protein and my body needs it.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I use 50g as a standard.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    It's somewhere between 40-60 , not totally sure but the remainder most likely turns to fat.

longhornDr is offline Member
    It's quite simple to find out really.

Start with 30-40g per meal and up the amount by 5g's untill you get bad gas...that will be the point that protein is hitting the colon and being wasted.

Viola, you know how much you can handle "at once."

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    It's quite simple to find out really.

Start with 30-40g per meal and up the amount by 5g's untill you get bad gas...that will be the point that protein is hitting the colon and being wasted.

Viola, you know how much you can handle "at once."
    And what if you have bad gas all the time? :spudnikhu

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ616
    It has a lot to do with body weight. I guy that weighs 160 might only be able to handle 35 grams at a serving. I guy that weights 250 could easily handle 45+. Another thing to keep in mind, A serving is every 3 hours. So after the first hour your body has broken down around 1/3 of what ever you took in. That means that if someone consumes 40 grams , two hours later they could consume another 26+ grams again and not waste it.
    I think if you have 80 grams of steak or triple Wendy's cheeseburger in your stomach... things like this take 4-5 hours to digest so this might be fine and get absorbed but I think drinking 150 grams of protein in one sitting with fast absorbing Whey would be where the waste would be at. Also some proteins are absorbed in favor of others, glutamine is often not absorbed in order to allow for absorbtion of other needed proteins like carnitine, arginine, tryptophine, etc.

Thread Information