Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree929Likes

Thread: Cylon357's Super Cool Covid 2020 Weight loss comp log!

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    One of the best things I ever did was replacing barbell rows with this.

https://youtu.be/B_EKdWyOj7M

Might not feel the same for you but the muscles felt way more engaged for me.
    I can setup for the one arm version, I will give it a shot, thanks!

Blog Entries
    Over head press day to wrap up the bonus work week. I wasn't feeling it initially, because I tweaked my low back on deadlift day, I think. I thought OP was going to be a problem but it wasn't at all. In fact, I went a little heavier than I had been and it felt good.

Instead of dips, I did pushups with a varied grip and angle. 3x10-15 depending on how it felt.

Rigged up the cables and did pushdowns super setted with light dumbbell curls. Then added the two extension cables (to make a Y cable setup) and did reverse laterals and cable flyes. Seems like there was one other exercise in there, but I can't remember what now. It also seems like I say that a lot, so maybe I ought to start journaling again...

1 mile to warm up, 1 mile for LISS, and life is grand. I need to stretch out that low back, and hit it with the back massager, but I am starting the deload week, so this is good timing.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Hey - o! Did you see the size of that chicken?? #YoungGuns

Sorry, just having the post workout feel goods and having some fun

Yesterday was a 2.5 mile walk, nothing special about it. It is deload week, so while I did try to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone, true LISS was the order of the day.

Today, I did super light leg / back workout, very brief and very easy. My low back is still acting up just a hair, so no squats or deads this week. That's OK, it is deload week and the back is already a bit better. Let this be the lesson for me: respect the 3 week work block! I did do a 1 mile walk to warm up, then 2+ for cool down, so LISS LISS and more LISS...

All is good otherwise, hope everyone is doing well!
    wango likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post

Yesterday was a 2.5 mile walk, nothing special about it. It is deload week, so while I did try to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone, true LISS was the order of the day.

Today, I did super light leg / back workout, very brief and very easy. My low back is still acting up just a hair, so no squats or deads this week. That's OK, it is deload week and the back is already a bit better. Let this be the lesson for me: respect the 3 week work block! I did do a 1 mile walk to warm up, then 2+ for cool down, so LISS LISS and more LISS...

Young Guns? Was that before or after the classic masterpiece “Red Dawn”?

Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Oh man, I can't say for sure. I want to go with AFTER, but don't quote me on that. Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive" was played almost non-stop when that movie came out, if that helps. I totally recognize it may not lol
    wango likes this.

Oh man, I can't say for sure. I want to go with AFTER, but don't quote me on that. Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive" was played almost non-stop when that movie came out, if that helps. I totally recognize it may not lol
    LOL, those were the days.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Nice combo chest and shoulder workout today.

Since this is deload week, I played around with the cable setup more than I would normally. This included one arm cable flyes. Basically, standing sideways to the high pulley and really working that pec. That's the spirit!

Next work week starts on Tuesday, let's see what it has in store. I'm going to try to get two HIIT workouts a week, but that might be pushing it some. We will see how that goes. I will NOT be pushing for a fourth work week going forward, at least not until I add some more interesting items to my TRT. Low back is basically healed, but I may baby it for another week. We'll see about that too.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Nice little squat workout tonight to kick off the next work week.

Squats, went a little heavier but not as intense as previous weeks to gauge how the low back is doing. Seems good but I will be careful this week until I feel like all systems are go.

Leg extensions and curls followed, with some single leg isolation work. Followed that up with Pull-ups and calf work, then finished out with 2x15 kettle bell swings.

1 mile jog, 11 minute mile pace, which I guess is both horrible and better than a 12 minute mile pace, so I will take it. Between the jog, warm up and cool down runs, and assorted other movement, I got in 10k+ steps today, which ain't bad for a desk jockey.
    wango likes this.

Nice little squat workout tonight to kick off the next work week.

Squats, went a little heavier but not as intense as previous weeks to gauge how the low back is doing. Seems good but I will be careful this week until I feel like all systems are go.

Leg extensions and curls followed, with some single leg isolation work. Followed that up with Pull-ups and calf work, then finished out with 2x15 kettle bell swings.

1 mile jog, 11 minute mile pace, which I guess is both horrible and better than a 12 minute mile pace, so I will take it. Between the jog, warm up and cool down runs, and assorted other movement, I got in 10k+ steps today, which ain't bad for a desk jockey.
    Continued congratulations on the sustained hard work!

How’s the knee(s) treating you?
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Continued congratulations on the sustained hard work!

How’s the knee(s) treating you?
    The knees are both pretty good, all things considered. No pain, though I'm not kickboxing and any jog over a mile is on the treadmill. All good for thinking I might need surgery just a few months ago!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Nice little bench workout Thursday evening. Mistimed meals and thought it was going to be a problem, but it turned out OK.

Barbell bench to start, my semi usual there.

Skipped dips and incline presses, and went to super sets of skull crushers and close grip bench press. Fire for the triceps!

Did ezcurl bar curls for the biceps, then a light weight shoulder trifecta consisting of front raises, laterals, and rear delt laterals.

1 mile walk to warm up, one mile+ to cool down and that one was in the books.

Totally off day today and a refeed tonight, but I did weigh in at 178.8 this morning, so I'm probably going easy on the food tonight. Well, at least easy for a refeed...
    wango likes this.

Totally off day today and a refeed tonight, but I did weigh in at 178.8 this morning, so I'm probably going easy on the food tonight. Well, at least easy for a refeed...
    Incredible how that scale reading can impact your psyche. I’m exactly 30 pounds heavier. Breaking the 210 barrier and staying stable below it was a big one for me. I recall you saying breaking 180 was for yourself? Shooting for at least another 10 myself.

Congrats on the hard work paying off!
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Incredible how that scale reading can impact your psyche. I’m exactly 30 pounds heavier. Breaking the 210 barrier and staying stable below it was a big one for me. I recall you saying breaking 180 was for yourself? Shooting for at least another 10 myself.

Congrats on the hard work paying off!
    I tend to look "pretty good" at 170-174, and "real good" around 165. I have been as low as 158, but that was when I was in triathlon training mode about 10 years ago. At 5'7", those are the weights that just look good for me. I was giving up too much weight at 158, but I did feel pretty good. I just LIKE lifting weights. Eh, I will be happy to see 175, at least for a bit, then make a decision to go down from there or ?
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    To add, my diet has gone to sh!t as I have gotten older. That's just how it is. I only have so many f*cks to give on a given day, and sometimes diet takes the hit!
    wango likes this.

I tend to look "pretty good" at 170-174, and "real good" around 165. I have been as low as 158, but that was when I was in triathlon training mode about 10 years ago. At 5'7", those are the weights that just look good for me. I was giving up too much weight at 158, but I did feel pretty good. I just LIKE lifting weights. Eh, I will be happy to see 175, at least for a bit, then make a decision to go down from there or ?
    When I see MMA fighters at my height and my frame and they are around 175-180 - that seems perfect for me. Jiminy Cricket, 40 more pounds?!?

That said, let’s keep pushing.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Saturday's back workout did not turn out like I thought it was going to.

I THOUGHT "maybe I will start with some light deads, then go into barbell rows"

My low back said "you know, maybe not the best choice right now"

So, I listened to the low back and free styled some.

I started with pullups, various widths and grips, no weight. Started with 4x8, but then started getting a little lat tired and went to 3x5.

Busted out the pulley next, and then did various rowing from various heights. Single arm pull downs, low pulley rows (both standing and seated), mid-level pulley rows, all with assorted handles, grips and weights. Probably 15 sets total there.

I did light front squats 3x8, and then barbell calf raises of the 3" block, 3x15-20.

Did a 3/4 mile walk to warm up, and ending LISS consisted of "getting on the roof and blowing out the gutters", so, probably not as effective as straight exercise, but two birds, one stone and all.

Today will be over head press, haven't got to it yet.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Over head press day was interesting and good.

Over head press to start, then a variety of cable and other exercises. Pushdowns super setted with barbell curls. Push-ups supper setted with single arm cable chest flyes. Single arm pushdowns. Shrugs with plates. Maybe some more stuff too.

1 mile walk to warm up, 2 miler for liss at the end.

Life is good!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Dupe

Blog Entries
    Noice little squat workout tonight!

Squats, 1x8, 1x6, 1x8 for work sets, then dropped weight to do one narrow set.

Barbell calf raises, 3x15 to 20.

Leg curls and extensions followed, 3x15 each.

Pullups, 4x6-8

No HIIT per se, but I did do some runs after the workout. I was GOING to do 1 mile jog, but did 1/4, then walked a minute, another 1/4 and walked a minute. Then I started doing faster but shorter runs. 5x, 20 to 60 seconds each. That last 20 second "sprint" (totally not a sprint, but 90% effort or so) nearly did me in.

Everything is cool, daddy-o!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Bench day today.

Barbell flat bench, followed by barbell incline.

Did 3x10 dips. Skull crushers, ezcurl bar curls super setted 3x10 to 12 each. Dumbell flyes to wrap it up.

1 mile walk to warm up, 1/2 mile to cool down. Taking it easy on LISS today because tomorrow The Wife and I are headed to the parks. Much walking will happen!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Over 11k steps at Animal Kingdom today...
    wango likes this.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    animal kingdom is fucking huge, all u do is walk there
    Cylon357 likes this.

Over 11k steps at Animal Kingdom today...
    Did you have good weather for it?
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Did you have good weather for it?
    We had the perfect storm of weather conditions!

The day started out hot and sunny: 90+ degrees without a cloud in the sky. That's for suckers and tourists 😆

As we were driving down in the early afternoon, the bottom fell out. The standard Central Florida mid afternoon summer shower. That sent the majority of people running for the parking lot and back to the hotel. That's OK, they had likely been there since park open.

When we got to the parking lot, there was a tiny amount of mist falling. People still fleeing the park while we are walking in.

Perfect timing!

It remained mostly overcast, which did two things. First, it convinced all the tourists that it might rain again and second, it kept the temp down. We walked around the park and it was about 74 degrees with no brutal sun. I didn't even apply sun screen.

By the time the sun came out in earnest, it was around 7pm and the park closed at 8p. Nobody came back and we got through the Avatar ride line and actual ride in under 45 minutes.

I might have given away some Florida resident secrets, but y'all seem cool so I thought I would share
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Oh and we have friends that work for Disney that got us in on guest passes, so a free park trip!
    wango likes this.

We had the perfect storm of weather conditions!

The day started out hot and sunny: 90+ degrees without a cloud in the sky. That's for suckers and tourists 😆

As we were driving down in the early afternoon, the bottom fell out. The standard Central Florida mid afternoon summer shower. That sent the majority of people running for the parking lot and back to the hotel. That's OK, they had likely been there since park open.

When we got to the parking lot, there was a tiny amount of mist falling. People still fleeing the park while we are walking in.

Perfect timing!

It remained mostly overcast, which did two things. First, it convinced all the tourists that it might rain again and second, it kept the temp down. We walked around the park and it was about 74 degrees with no brutal sun. I didn't even apply sun screen.

By the time the sun came out in earnest, it was around 7pm and the park closed at 8p. Nobody came back and we got through the Avatar ride line and actual ride in under 45 minutes.

I might have given away some Florida resident secrets, but y'all seem cool so I thought I would share
    Darn right that was a perfect situation! Man, that worked out amazing. Oh man, Disney prices?!? I simply can’t see how families can pull that off, ridiculous!
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Darn right that was a perfect situation! Man, that worked out amazing. Oh man, Disney prices?!? I simply can’t see how families can pull that off, ridiculous!
    For some people, the trips to the parks are once in a lifetime experiences. Airfare, hotel, park admission, meals... man, that would add up!

And here in Florida, and probably California as well, we are like "eh, I GUESS we could go to the parks AGAIN" lol
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    All the weekend chicanery messed up my workouts. I hate it when that happens, but have learned to deal with it.

But I did shift things around to make up for it this week, sort of.

I normally do a four day a week thing, this week I'm doing 5 days a week.

Legs - Mon
    Bench - Tues
    Arms - Wed
    Off - Thur
    Back - Fri
    Shoulders - Sat
    Off - Sun

Then into the deload week.

So I did squat workout today.

Barbell squats, 2x8 as work set. Calf raises, 3x 15-20. Leg curls and extensions, 3x10-15 with both legs, then drop weight and 1x10 each exercise, each leg. Hip thrusters off the heavy bag wrapped the weights proper, 3x10.

Short HIIT'y finisher was 3 rounds of:
    2 minutes on treadmill
    6 pullups
    15 kettlebell swings
    one minute rest between rounds.

Not extreme HIIT, but I got my heart rate up in the "cardio" zone pretty consistently. I don't think I hit peak, but maybe briefly.

1+ mile to wrap as LISS, then a hop in the pool to cool down, yoga stretches and a shower.

Everything is cool in Cylon Town tonight!
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Bench day yay!

Barbell bench to start off, though I'm still having pain in my right palm and outer hand that can interfere with effort when the going gets a little heavier. Still, I got my work sets in and all was good.

Did dumbbell incline for some variation. 3x6-8.

Dips were next, and I did 1x8, no weight, 1x7 w/25lbs, 1x6 w/50lbs and then 1x8 w/no weight.

Went to cable flyes and reverse delt cable laterals, 2x12 each.

That wrapped the weights.

HIIT'y AGAIN tonight

2 minutes hammer swings
    1 minute rest
    2 minutes hammer swings
    1 minute rest
    2 minutes shadow boxing
    1 minute rest
    2 minutes hammer swings
    1 minute rest
    2 minutes hammer swings
    1 minute rest
    2 minutes shadow boxing
    DONE

Shadow boxing consisted of 45 seconds shadow boxing then 10 to 12 pushups.

3/4 mile walk to cool down, 1 mile walk to warm up and I should sleep like a baby tonight.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Arms and abs.

That was my workout for the day.

You know how long it has been since I had a dedicated arm day?? Probably hasn't happened this century.

Anyhow...

3 sets of tricep pushdowns, super setted with ez curl bar curls, 3 sets each.

Skull crushers super setted with dumbbell hammer curls, 3 sets each.

3 sets of ab wheel rollouts 8 to 10 reps. That was a first and kind of odd.

Alternated reverse hypers with regular hypers, 3x10 each.

1 mile walk to warm up, 1.5 to cool down.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries

B-b-b-back
    B-b-b-back
    B-b-b-back
    Woo back day today!

I make no apologies, except perhaps to George Thorogood

Back day today (Friday) started with deadlifts, kept them brief and a little lighter. 2 warm up sets, 2 work sets, 2x8 for warm up, 2x5 for work.

Barbell rows super setted with pullups, 3x8 on the rows, 3x6-7 on the pullups

Goblet squats, 2x10 light weight. Knees were dialoging with me, so I kept it easy.

Calf work consisted of raises off the platform, holding a 45 pound plate in each hand, 3x20, super setted with single leg raises, 3x15-18.

Those calves were

Just a 1/2 mile walk as LISS warm up, with a 1/2 mile walk as a LISS cool down.

Tomorrow is the last day of week 3, yay! And we are headed to Epcot on free passes again, so yeah, that should be cool. And I should get a sh!t ton of steps in tomorrow.
    wango likes this.

B-b-b-back
    B-b-b-back
    B-b-b-back
    Woo back day today!

I make no apologies, except perhaps to George Thorogood

Back day today (Friday) started with deadlifts, kept them brief and a little lighter. 2 warm up sets, 2 work sets, 2x8 for warm up, 2x5 for work.

Barbell rows super setted with pullups, 3x8 on the rows, 3x6-7 on the pullups

Goblet squats, 2x10 light weight. Knees were dialoging with me, so I kept it easy.

Calf work consisted of raises off the platform, holding a 45 pound plate in each hand, 3x20, super setted with single leg raises, 3x15-18.

Those calves were

Just a 1/2 mile walk as LISS warm up, with a 1/2 mile walk as a LISS cool down.

Tomorrow is the last day of week 3, yay! And we are headed to Epcot on free passes again, so yeah, that should be cool. And I should get a sh!t ton of steps in tomorrow.
    Have a great time, but damn, you torched your calves last night in preparation for today? Yikes!

Say hi to the Disney crew for me!
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Have a great time, but damn, you torched your calves last night in preparation for today? Yikes!

Say hi to the Disney crew for me!
    Actually woke up with calves saying 'ooh, we felt that last night' but they seem to be OK atm.

And we didn't have plans for Epcot until after my workout, which all in all, is probably good. I might have gone easy otherwise lol
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Shoulder workout in the books to wrap week 3 and head into Delgado week.

Overhead press started things off. I was feeling a bit tired from dead lifts / back about 19 hours before so things were just a tad off. That isnt uncommon for the end of weer 3, tho.

Freestyled into push-ups supered with shrugs. No real synergies there, that's just how it was today.

Moved on to skull crushers supered with ez curl bar curls.

Wrapped with a couple of sets of dumbbell flyes.

1/4 mile walk to warm up, no cool down because of Epcot. I am at .9 miles and 2100 steps on the fitbit, let's see where we land tonight!

Blog Entries
    13,600 steps. So, about 11,500 at Epcot.
    wango likes this.

13,600 steps. So, about 11,500 at Epcot.
    13,600, wow! I only had 10,800 yesterday.

Good time at Epcot?
    Cylon357 likes this.

Blog Entries
    13,600, wow! I only had 10,800 yesterday.

Good time at Epcot?
    At almost 5'7" tall, my guess is I need more steps for the same distance as you lol!

Epcot was good. Capped the evening off with dinner at the German buffet and then the fireworks show at 9pm.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Just some easy cardio this week so far. 2 mile walk on Tuesday, 2.5 mile walk / jog today (about 1/2 mile was jog, so mostly walk).

Weights tomorrow, then I'm thinking the next work week may start on Sunday or Monday, but that's a game time decision.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    I had the world's easiest full body workout. I didn't touch a barbell. Super easy, but the work starts again Monday...

Thread Information