Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree1162Likes

Thread: Wango back at the grind

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    I walked briefly last night, but we were supposed to saunter!. I guess my wife’s idea of a saunter differs from mine because her pace wiped my legs out really quickly (however, I had already done legs earlier and some elliptical so it was likely that). Still, 30 minutes of activity beats sitting on my ass, so it was a win.

Push day this morning with only 2 rounds of elliptical mixed in (legs are tight). That said, my energy in the gym (even though I was carb depleted and fasting) was the best I’ve felt since pre-Covid. I’ll do some stretching/yoga/posture stuff later this afternoon.

Rest day yesterday. Legs and abs today. 2 bouts of elliptical mixed in and finished with treadmill. My legs were smoked & used extra caution going down the stairs to the parking lot.

Pull day with a few rounds of elliptical mixed in.

Planet Fitness just opened about 5 minutes from our home and is $10 per month (with a whopping $1 introduction fee). Checked it out yesterday & it definitely works for me as I use almost zero free-weights at this time. Had my first workout this morning & really dug it. Saving $50 per month in fees & 20 minutes of driving each workout. Then to top it off there is a “Shake Shack” almost finished directly next door to it & I hear they have killer chow. Talking with the Endocrinologist in a bit, hoping for a renewal of my testosterone prescription. Not happy how the UGL test works sub-Q, always leaves a lump for several days. NP with IM, it’s just sub-Q is so damn easy.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Pull day with a few rounds of elliptical mixed in.

Planet Fitness just opened about 5 minutes from our home and is $10 per month (with a whopping $1 introduction fee). Checked it out yesterday & it definitely works for me as I use almost zero free-weights at this time. Had my first workout this morning & really dug it. Saving $50 per month in fees & 20 minutes of driving each workout. Then to top it off there is a “Shake Shack” almost finished directly next door to it & I hear they have killer chow. Talking with the Endocrinologist in a bit, hoping for a renewal of my testosterone prescription. Not happy how the UGL test works sub-Q, always leaves a lump for several days. NP with IM, it’s just sub-Q is so damn easy.
    You can do a lot in a planet fitness. There is no real point to heavy ass weights when it comes to building a good physique or maintaining one IMO.

Btw I also tried sushi for the first time in LA. One thing I miss, besides the beautiful weather, are all the great little restaurants with amazing food at pretty decent prices. Over here the food is expensive and mostly trash.

You’re right about the lumps with UGL, but I wasn’t aware that pharma doesn’t cause lumps. I had appendicitis and the nurse (a big fat dude covered in tattoos) was gonna give me a shot of anticoagulant and poke the exact spot I had a lump in. I was like “hey can you do it on this side instead” lol.
    Cylon357, wango and DinAZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    You can do a lot in a planet fitness. There is no real point to heavy ass weights when it comes to building a good physique or maintaining one IMO.

Btw I also tried sushi for the first time in LA. One thing I miss, besides the beautiful weather, are all the great little restaurants with amazing food at pretty decent prices. Over here the food is expensive and mostly trash.

You’re right about the lumps with UGL, but I wasn’t aware that pharma doesn’t cause lumps. I had appendicitis and the nurse (a big fat dude covered in tattoos) was gonna give me a shot of anticoagulant and poke the exact spot I had a lump in. I was like “hey can you do it on this side instead” lol.
    I agree about planet fitness, however it is tailored to an older & more casual crowd (which at this stage, fits me to a T). Actually, my wife signed up. She hates gyms but now at 64 realizes some resistance training is needed just to maintain every day function. We’re headed over soon.

My wife really was somewhat upset at me because with our little guy here, I’d pretty much never leave the house except for workouts and necessities. His passing will encourage me to start getting to those restaurants & take advantage of what is out here.

Endo gave me my testosterone without a struggle, which surprised me a bit. I rarely get lumps with my prescription Testosterone taken sub-Q.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    I agree about planet fitness, however it is tailored to an older & more casual crowd (which at this stage, fits me to a T). Actually, my wife signed up. She hates gyms but now at 64 realizes some resistance training is needed just to maintain every day function. We’re headed over soon.

My wife really was somewhat upset at me because with our little guy here, I’d pretty much never leave the house except for workouts and necessities. His passing will encourage me to start getting to those restaurants & take advantage of what is out here.

Endo gave me my testosterone without a struggle, which surprised me a bit. I rarely get lumps with my prescription Testosterone taken sub-Q.
    Planet fitness is kind of appealing just because it is 24 hours. The place I go has heavier weights but it’s not like I lift them, and the hours suck. Some weekends im down to lift at midnight or some days I wake up at 3:30 AM full throttle ready to lift but if I go back to sleep it doesn’t happen until after work. I used to bash PF every chance I got cause of their lunk alarms and stuff. I’ll still probably join a non PF 24 hour gym when my membership is up.
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post
    Planet fitness is kind of appealing just because it is 24 hours. The place I go has heavier weights but it’s not like I lift them, and the hours suck. Some weekends im down to lift at midnight or some days I wake up at 3:30 AM full throttle ready to lift but if I go back to sleep it doesn’t happen until after work. I used to bash PF every chance I got cause of their lunk alarms and stuff. I’ll still probably join a non PF 24 hour gym when my membership is up.
    Oh yeah, I always thought of PF as a bit of a joke & even in my mid-50’s wouldn’t find this place suiting my needs. PF discourages stuff that could intimidate/discourage out of shape, inexperienced & likely self conscious individuals. Surely the deliberate elimination of benches, power racks & heavier dumbbells was intended to keep hardcore lifters out. Ironically, they have 5 Smith Machines in a dedicated area & my wife and I squatted yesterday (for me, first time in over I can’t actually recall).

In this area the woman often use the gym as a fashion show & try to dress in the tightest most revealing outfits (and there are so many that your eyes keep bouncing all over the place). Lord knows I love (and am almost developing a fetish for) for women with shapely legs and butts in leggings, but it’s getting ridiculously distracting at times. I’m thinking my eyes will get a rest here & I really don’t mind.
    DinAZ likes this.

Introduced my wife to the equipment at PF yesterday then did abs while she cycled. Yesterday evening a 2.5 mile walk.

Push day mixed in with a couple of rounds of elliptical this morning. Finished another 2.5 miles just a bit ago.

Body is holding out, shoulder is cooperating & the scale is moving in the right direction.
    DinAZ and Cylon357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Dude, this retirement stuff.... sounds FREAKING AMAZING!!!!

I may never fully retire, but I could see doing something hobby related for a few bucks here and there and also enjoying the 3pm early bird special at Luby's.

The two of us awoke at 4:45 and were out the door by 6 a.m. for about 35 years straight. We both still loved our professions upon our retirement & could have grinded out a couple more years. But you just get to the point where you say “it’s time”. We’ve planned and saved for decades and to have it finally happen is nothing short of heaven. We honestly didn’t know if we could co-exist in our smallish home every day, but that has worked out better than we both expected.

I still may return to my old school as a sub, cause honestly interacting & joking around with teens is amazing. I may be 63, but at times I have the mentality and interests of a late teen. Other than that, I couldn’t think of another job that I would want to do until I got to Planet Fitness. I really love the mentality and approach of the place. It really is striving to make everyone be comfortable & not intimidated to work out there. I could see doing personal training for clients that are older, obese or just plain afraid of the gym setting.

Thursday was a rest day, except the wife and I did a calorie restricted dinner and walked for about an hour (both a Tuesday/Thursday thing).

Yesterday was a full body workout (uppers, legs, abs) but no cardio. The scale moved lower again and I definitely am losing my mid-section thickness & some muscular shape is returning. Almost at 15 pounds lost. I’m thinking another 10-15 before I add a little var.

The objective is turning out to be, how much non-aggressive activity and exercise can I squeeze in multiple times a week and multiple times on the same day that will keep my metabolism turned up yet still not overwork any joints & allow adequate recovery? I think I am moving in the right direction & my body is tolerating more & more without any adverse effects.
    Cylon357 and DinAZ like this.

Push day today with 2 rounds of elliptical mixed in. Forgot how well the seated lateral delt machine works for me. Plus there are 2 Hammer machines that I’m shocked I can use. An incline chest press and a shoulder press. For some reason the mechanics work for me where the free-weight versions of the same machine did not. I sure ain’t complaining.

Did some food prep and just finished a 2 mile walk. Looking forward to Monday night football. Tomorrow the dreaded DMV for that special drivers license you’ll need for airport security.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Yesterday was a calorie deficit day (probably around 750). Then dinner was just this juice which tastes amazing. The combos of juices at this place is sweet. Then a 2.5 mile evening walk with my baby before watching the end of the Yankees vs. Reds game. No alcohol on Tuesdays & Thursdays (truly a miracle), but need some THC edibles to relax me before bed and they worked nicely and kicked in in 60 minutes.

Legs, back & abs (up to 10sets of three different machines) this morning with a short 10 minute round of elliptical. From a functional approach, 4months ago I wouldn’t dare descend stairs unless done very slowly and tightly grabbing the rail. Today, post workout, descended steps with no rail and casually without issue. For you all, that’s got to sound pathetic, for me, a huge step in the right direction.

Not a huge MLB fan but love the night games in the playoffs and how they look on the big screen in high def. Dodgers tonight. Glad a few of the ex-Cubs ended on playoff teams. Scherzer helped Boston last night & Bryant is helping San Francisco big time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-785e5255-1ec4-4523-a9e1-cec7340f647d.jpeg   Wango back at the grind-14219ba7-38cc-45f4-885e-f4d85fae00f3.jpeg  
    Cylon357 likes this.

Good week. Stuck to the Tuesday/Thursday evening routine & had an additional 4 solid workouts as well. Hell, even the DMV went smoothly, lol. First DOMS with my quads in I can’t recall & leg workouts are improving as I can add more exercises without negative consequences.

My shoulder was reminding me last night that I added some new machines, but pain during the day is no longer there & I can already see a glimmer of some upper pecs & improved delts

Started at 225, now stable at 210. Actually surprised as the mirror is looking almost pre-Covid, so even at 63 a bit of muscle memory remains. Let’s see what 205 looks like, but ideally I’m shooting for less than 200. Still at 150 mg. Testosterone /week & 1 i.u. HGH/day. Added .25 adex 2x/wk as I recalled when I started TRT the lower estrogen worked well for me.

Will do a light walk then my stretching/posture/yoga stuff in the sun. It’s going to be a beautiful Fall day.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Push day today. God bless those Hammer machines, I never thought I’d do incline press and shoulder press again in my life. Nice pump.

It’s kind of nice seeing a familiar reflection in the mirror again and one that doesn’t disgust me. Motivation & drive really coming back stronger with each pound lost!

Interesting week. Wanted to see if my new weight loss was fat vs. water. So I eased up on cardio and workouts. Despite cheating a bit on my new Thursday routine, the scale remains at 210. The mirror looks legit as I am getting muscular shape back and seriously losing my mid-section. Delts and arms bigger, chest tightening up.

So, when dieting hard and very carb depleted, it isnÂ’t wise to mitigate stress with alcohol & pot - no, not at all! Again the orthostatic hypotension kicked in after getting up and down I went. My head hit some the sharp corner of an armoire, was unconscious for 2 minutes and bled from my split open scalp like nothing I have ever experienced. Wife called 911. then 12 staples to my rear temple area to close a 4” gash later, I’m good to go. Holy crap do I have a hard head. Virtually no symptoms related to a concussion. Going to do some light walks and hit the gym again on Monday.

My wife almost crapped. As soon as I came to, I was in a great mood and the first thing I asked the paramedics surrounding me was - “so what is it with you guys and not wanting to get vaccinated?”. Needless to say, I was not helped off the floor gently. I made it up though, was joking in the ambulance, turns out there are a lot of negative & combative patients they transport & they said that I made their night. I am pretty sure I know the local fire station they came from as these guys were here in 5 minutes. When I drive again, I’ll take care of them.

I am getting to the last of my nine lives. God and a very busy guardian angel have watched over me my entire life & they may just be exhausted at this stage.
    Last edited by wango; 10-16-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Push day
    Pec dec 4 x10
    Shoulder Press 3x10
    Incline Chest Press 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 3x10

Triceps Rope Extensions 4x10
    Triceps Machine Extensions 4x10

Forearms SS wrist curls / wrist extensions 3x10

My Gawd it feels great to do all of those movements - bless those machines! It also shows me that even after missing most of the RC, the delt really does it’s part. Killer pump in my chest, Delts and triceps and the t-shirt was stretching in all the right places. No light headedness nor dizziness during the workout. Time for lunch & food prep. Happy Monday all!
    Cylon357 likes this.

Yesterday was legs & abs, then started a 24 fast after lunch (noon).

Morning workout was a pull workout with 2 bouts of elliptical & ended the fast with a lunch of steak & veggies. Just finished a 2 mile walk. The head is feeling much clearer today so upped my activity. Scalp is healing well & looking forward to seeing the damage scar-wise as my hair is closely cropped around the sides and back.

Dropped more and officially headed to 205. That hopefully will happen next week. Starting to look 2019 pre-Covid (yikes, that’s 2 years, and a crappy 2 years at that!).

Tapered off a bit last week as I noticed I was still a bit concussed. Still ate clean, but just less volume and a very restful weekend. Staples out last Friday. I fully realize I have a pain issue . . . . it just doesn’t register. The staples were tangled in hair and crusted over with dried blood & I just let the nurse dig them out without noticing. Washing my hair again in the shower brought a nice big smile.

Push day today and cautiously increased the resistance on everything, dropping some sets to failure at 8 reps. Then was even more comfortable with front deltoid raises. A couple rounds on the elliptical didn’t bother my head too much, just had to dismount more carefully.

I am the proud owner of 26 little holes in my scalp, lol. Happy Monday to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-3b8f862e-c535-437b-8062-7f1925bced05.jpeg  
    Cylon357 likes this.

Good, but not a great week. The brain is still taking its time and I slowed my pace down. Cool thing is, I fully understand & appreciate what NFL players go through with concussion protocols. Playing a sport now would be impossible without falling over.

Got in 4 nice workouts, but no cardio. Ate clean, threw in a couple of 24 hour fasts and dropped 2 more pounds. Have added more veggies each meal and my colon has been thankful (sorry, too much info there). Some lounging pants literally fell from my waist to the floor and I’m happy I didn’t toss my 32” waisted Levi’s. Musculature is looking better and not dropping despite the calorie depletion, so the mirror is aligning well with the scale. I ain’t a beast or a competing bb’er but I’m using gear & grinding away - hell f’n yeah.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Better week and getting closer to normal. The head really feels clear again.

2 upper body workouts, legs just one time, but hit abs each workout. Added a bit of cardio. Elliptical with the upper body work and didn’t have a problem with a 2 mile walk. Weight is stagnant and currently trying to add meals/snacks back to 5x/day. Mirror looking better still, adding some nice shoulder width & some upper pec tone courtesy of those Hammer machines. I can see a hint of abs, but really need to drop at least another 10 pounds to get me closer to 12-13% bf.

We bought an air fryer and my Gawd, the most moist skinless chicken breasts I’ve ever eaten. The turkey for thanksgiving should be amazing.
    Cylon357 likes this.

We JUST got an air fryer, too. They are pretty cool! We cooked some fish in it and it stunk up the house, though lol! We over cooked tater tots too, but that is on us. Did some vegs in it that turned out well!
    Fish, hell yes, even if baked in the oven the windows need to stay open because of the smell sometimes. We keep our air fryer next to the stove that has a large exhaust hood & it helped a great deal. Veggies are amazing & we did some small red potatoes and they were great as well.

I bet we both got our fryers on the same week; sweet coincidence.
    Last edited by wango; 11-06-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Yesterday was upper body & abs. 2 exercises each body part, 3 sets of 15 each w/30 seconds rest between sets. Mixed in 3 bouts of 6 minutes on elliptical. Tossed in some posture/stretching/yoga stuff in the afternoon.

Today was legs, abs and treadmill.

Primary MD & Endocrinologist prescribed blood work tomorrow. I’ve let my test tank since last week, hopefully it won’t be higher than 500-600 to put my Endo at ease. Fingers crossed that my lipids are even a little improved. I thought those would normalize after not blasting for 2 years now. They went an issue prior to that. Getting really frustrated with my BP as well. New medicine combo hasn’t done a damn thing and is still hovering around high 120s/high 80’s. I thought the decreased stress from not commuting & working was going to be a slam dunk at lowering it. Just may start using pot throughout the day, but not if I have to drive.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Wow, first post in 13 days? I’ve been in a workout funk that long? Daaaang. At least I’ve been eating clean, but that is it. Oh wait, pizza on Saturday with leftovers for NFL Sunday. It was worth it both times, no regrets.

Upper body with 3 rounds of elliptical mixed in. The body felt like it was 2 weeks since the last workout & I intelligently went easy. Sitting with my cold laser helmet, I do believe my hair looks a bit thicker & healthier. Actual hair re-growth really doesn’t kick in till 8-12 months. I’m only at 2 months now.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Pull day on Tuesday with abs & elliptical. 3 mile walk today.

Still with TRT for a few months more. My testosterone came in high at 900 despite me laying off of it for a week (not long enough evidently) so have to retest in 2 months. Lipids are better and BP oddly taking a turn for the better as well; I’ll take that.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Pull day on Tuesday with abs & elliptical. 3 mile walk today.

Still with TRT for a few months more. My testosterone came in high at 900 despite me laying off of it for a week (not long enough evidently) so have to retest in 2 months. Lipids are better and BP oddly taking a turn for the better as well; I’ll take that.
    Man, it sounds like you are enjoying this whole retirement thing! Kudos!

Were you blasting prior to blood work? I thought you mostly stuck with TRT these days.
    wango likes this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Do you need to show proof of vaccination to go to the gym in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Wango retired?!? congrats
    wango likes this.

Man, it sounds like you are enjoying this whole retirement thing! Kudos!

Were you blasting prior to blood work? I thought you mostly stuck with TRT these days.
    Not to rub it it in, but it is really Nirvana. Both of the jobs we left are going through insane times with the continuation of Covid, so the coincidental timing was perfect.

Haven’t blasted since fall of 2018. I wanted it at 500-600 as my Endo is conservative and was a little tentative to prescribe. Darn it, I was wanting to do Var, then transition to Tren again, but will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Do you need to show proof of vaccination to go to the gym in your area?

I started up at Planet Fitness (posted prior) and they do, as well as masks. I don’t want to get into any debate, but I’m glad, plus the gym really asks that everyone spray down equipment after usage and 90% of the members do. We have older friends and some recovering from significant medical issues, so for the wife and I, we embrace the added caution.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I started up at Planet Fitness (posted prior) and they do, as well as masks. I don’t want to get into any debate, but I’m glad, plus the gym really asks that everyone spray down equipment after usage and 90% of the members do. We have older friends and some recovering from significant medical issues, so for the wife and I, we embrace the added caution.
    I heard it is required to show proof of vaccine for all indoor events. now everywhere in LA County. D

wango and DinAZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Wango retired?!? congrats
    Thank you GGR! The wife was October of 2020, mine was June of this year. Honestly, for the amount that we are together at home in close proximity of each other, it’s miraculous how we are tolerating it (although we’ve had a couple of blow-ups, lol).
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I heard it is required to show proof of vaccine for all indoor events. now everywhere in LA County. D

I’m guessing so. There’s been so much in the paper about what is mandated and then places willing to deal with fines for not enforcing it. The gym and the last restaurant we went to checked. I haven’t been to a store yet that has checked however, and don’t plan on going to any events (a concert but not until March).
    DinAZ likes this.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    Thank you GGR! The wife was October of 2020, mine was June of this year. Honestly, for the amount that we are together at home in close proximity of each other, it’s miraculous how we are tolerating it (although we’ve had a couple of blow-ups, lol).
    You don’t fight with people you don’t care about!
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post
    You don’t fight with people you don’t care about!
    LOL, you weren’t here at the forum during 2019, 2020 and winter/spring of 2021. There were some Jim-dandy fireworks fights and honestly not a lot of love or caring for the next guy. Of course that said, that was certainly a contemptuous time for everyone in the good ole US of A.
    DinAZ likes this.

Push day with 3 rounds of 5 minutes on elliptical this am.

Brief 1 mile walk to ward off napping after lunch. There’s a pull-up bar in the park where I walk, so I did a few sets of hanging leg raises. The traction from hanging really feels great on my shoulders - nice stretch.

Well I had a resurgence of wanting to learn guitar (aggressive metal of course) & there are plenty of one on one lessons available now. So last Saturday I dropped a bit of dinero at Guitar Center. Will post a pic of the gear later this week. First lesson is this Saturday; really stoked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wango back at the grind-32dc8ef1-4359-46ea-855c-8ab91e5910bb.jpeg  
    Cylon357 likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

Wango back at the grind

Took few lessons in HS.

Guitar teacher fell with me. I learned a lot but not guitar.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Push day with 3 rounds of 5 minutes on elliptical this am.

Brief 1 mile walk to ward off napping after lunch. There’s a pull-up bar in the park where I walk, so I did a few sets of hanging leg raises. The traction from hanging really feels great on my shoulders - nice stretch.

Well I had a resurgence of wanting to learn guitar (aggressive metal of course) & there are plenty of one on one lessons available now. So last Saturday I dropped a bit of dinero at Guitar Center. Will post a pic of the gear later this week. First lesson is this Saturday; really stoked
    What did you end up with?

What did you end up with?
    My ex students (who are now 30) always were metal heads, are in hardcore bands, record and I occasionally go to shows with them. They know & love the heavy sound I wanted to capture/play so they immediately went for three guitars (I wanted a matt black). They both fell in love with a schecter. I have to admit, I even heard a subtle sound difference myself. It looks great, feels amazing in my hands & it’s a guitar I can stick with after I’m more competent.

Sorry, drinking coffee and waking up, will get a picture later.

By the way, thank you - your references to the Manning brothers & Tony Dungy were so incredibly spot on and they made me laugh out loud.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Took few lessons in HS.

Guitar teacher fell with me. I learned a lot but not guitar.
    Oh my. Some how I don’t think that I will be expecting the same issue.
    Cylon357 and GirlyGymRat like this.

Blog Entries
    Oh my. Some how I don’t think that I will be expecting the same issue.
    Don't sell yourself short
    wango likes this.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread Information