tugs is offline New Member

back to back days workouts--not enough recovery time??..,

because of my work schedule I only have 2 days a week to workout --sat and sun--
    sat----bi,s-forearms-calves-hams and quads
    sun---chest,tris,shoulders,back and back width
    my question is this---do I compromise my recovery time by doing back to back days???

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    doing all that on back to back days seems pretty rough, i dont think i could do it, but i guess if that is your only option... why dont you look into getting some home equipment? maybe that will allow you to work out more frequently

tugs is offline New Member
    Thats where I workout is home---but still with 5 kids and full time job bla bla bla --2 days is all i get--I,m aware of the overtraining problems that I face--this is my concern--not so much on the muscles being overtrained--more on the cns(central nerve system) being hit hard twice in 2 days--but then I say--yea but I then give it a good 5 day rest--right?? I,m still not sure..,

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Your split looks okay. You shouldn't have any problem with your nervouse system handling it. It really depends on your body. For me, that wouldn't be enough to stimulate any growth, but to just maintain. I have to work out a body part at least twice per week. A lot of people do grow with only one workout per week though. A lot of people work out every day of the week or only take one day off to rest. I was on a six day a week schedule for a couple months with no problems at all. It really all depends on your body and how you respond to things.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    well i guess you are in a pretty tough spot. I dont think I would do it. I guess just go on what your body tells you..

znak is offline Senior Member
    YOu do what you gotta do. Not the ideal situation, but you will maintain what you have if your diet is ok.

Try to find 30 minutes two other times and rotate you body parts through. I know what yiou mean about busy... but 30 minutes. Do a show for your kids... Worst case senario, do push ups, pulls up and sit ups before you shower for bed (15 minutes).

I feel for you... been there.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I don't think the biggest problem is working out that hard back to back days, I think in the long run though you are going to plateu by having 5 days off in a row. But hey, at least you are working out, more than I can say for some people!
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Seems fine. The only difference is you are combining legs in with one of your other workout days. If you have the time to do it, then it shouldnt be a problem.
    You are giving yourself 5 days to recover so you should be able to workout to failure on Sat and Sun. Good luck.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I just noticed your workout you do bis the day before chest and back. How is that working for you? I can't do bis the day before back otherwise my back routine suffers.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Personally, faced with a situation like this I would split into upper body and lower body days. Keep the reps medium to high because of the frequency of your workouts is low. You will likely platuea soon with a 2 day per week program and then it will turn itself into a maintenance routine. When you feel that point is reached, add low rep sets, the bracketed ones, to squats, chins, and benches.

Day1:
    Squats 12, 10, 8, 6, (3), (3), (2), 20 (drop the 20 rep set)
    Lunges 12, 12, 12
    Leg curls 12, 10, 10
    Leg raise 12, 10, 10
    Back hypers 3-4 sets maxing out at 50 reps per set (or until failure).
    calf raises 12, 12, 12

Day2:
    warmup
    Chinups 12, 10, 8, (5), (5)
    Rows 12, 10, 8
    Bench 12, 10, 8, (5), (5)
    Dips 3-4 sets maxing out at 50 reps per set (or until failure).
    Bicep curls 12, 10, 8
    Tricep extension 12, 10, 8

Train abs minimum 2x a week whenever you can fit it in a 10-15 minute block:
    Leg raises 15, 15, 15
    Sit ups 15, 15, 15

Thread Information