RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member

Clean and Jerk or Snatch

Does anyone else incorporate Clean and Jerks, or Snatches into their leg routine (no, not the 3rd leg routine). People at the gym look at me like Im crazy. I think most have never seen these lifts before.

I don't do it a lot. I just throw it in like once a month or so, to change it up a bit and make sure I don't loose my form. I kinda of get a kick out of it though. Also I never see anyone else doing lunges with an Olympic bar and some plates. Every one uses dumbbells.

I guess I picked this up from my football/shot put coach. He put a lot of Olympic lifting into our work out. 10 years later and Im still using it. I can't help it I just love the stuff. Anyway I was just wondering if I was completely alone.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Ha Ha I doubt if most regular gym goers do know what they are!!
    I used to clean and jerk the weight up then lift it over my head and behind my neck to squat as I never had a squat rack at home!That was hard work.I do then from time to time and they are real power movements I enjoy doing them and fit it in for a change.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Depending on your goals , once again .. the clean and jerk is a Powerlifting movement encompassing the entire body . I personally do not do this movement . but I have many strength competitors doing it .. One gym in particular has about 12 powerlifters . so it is A day at the office there .. my main gym has none .. so very uncommon ... If you like it ...do it .. no one will laugh when your using 400+ lbs hehe .... just keep workin and stay focused on your form ... good luck

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    i think its this months musclemag or ironman mag that was talking about that exercise. Personally Ive done them both for a long time I do the lunges with the olympic bar for legs, and I do a variation of the cling and jerk for shoulders. Where I do an upright row, then follow it with a shoulder press. Either way those movements in my opinion are much like squats and deadlifts, where they incorporate the entire body!!!!!
    there great keep doing them!!!
    gorilla

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I agree Marky. Some people will look at you like you are strange, and probally think you are training for the "power lifting circuit", but very effective again, depending on your goals. i do believe it is more of a power lifting kinda thing, but good to do as a different exercise to shock the body so to speak. Course again, if you are looking for power.. jerk away.. man.. I do them every once in a while, but I am not a big power lifting guy, just do it to give my muscles a new level of pain.. did I say new level of pain? Man, I am getting sick here.. I actually am beginning to like that pain.. gosh never thought I would say that..

RON
    Sicilian Im not one of the sicko's who likes to be wipped or anything but when it comes to lifting I love to feel the pain. The burn durring or the soreness after a hard lift. Nothing like it.

Whew thanks for backin me ROn.. heee.. thought I was the only one here likin the pain you get from workin out.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i had to stop doing those olympic lifts. i competed during those college at those lifts. after five years of doing that stuff my joints just couldn't handle it anymore. i did get strong as hell though. i got thick throughout my whole body. it's just too much to go heavy on squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, and snatch

RON
    Sicilian, we had this discussion before remember I said I like to run after heavy leg days to feal the burn. Then I said I liked needles. Then you got my back and agreed. Just returning the favor. Us sickos gotta stick together Bro.

Dane, I know what your saying about joint pains. Im fearin that this might make me stop too. At 29 my joints aren't like they used to be.

try being 23 and having joints like that. i'm popping CLA's like candy.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Clean ANd Jerk

Be carfull, the clean and jerk is a high risk movement and it can result in serious injuries if not preformed properly.
    Tobey

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the high joint stress exercises require more recovery time. Like plyometrics your body need a while to heal. I never perform powerlifting/olympic movements more than a couple times a month. Then again at 37 and EVERY type of training needs more recovery time it seems.

RON
    I hear you guys there. Proper form is very important in these lifts. If anyone is uncertain about their form I would stay clear.
    Last edited by RON; 10-10-2001 at 07:56 PM.

my workout partner and i used to go hardcore on those things. we would begin our clean and jerk workout with 315 for 8 or 10. we would literally be crawling out of the gym. we ALWAYS had to take the day after those off. also, they're easier to do when you have big rubber weights that you can throw down. it hurts in the gym when you have to lower weight down.

RON
    I never used the rubber weights but I love the thick rubber mats for the same reason.

Yeah nothing like droppin a big azz heavy bar full of weights on the floor with that Clangin sound.. man gotta love it.
    Yeah well Ron, I had forgotten about that man.. you all right!

RON
    Sicilian thanks Bro, Your all right too for a sicko pain junkie. J/K Bro .......

Thread Information