brian11 is offline Member

when to do dead lifts

do you guys do dead lifts on back days or leg days?

statuZ is offline Banned
    back day, unless your doing dead lfits for your legs lol. i dont feel it in my legs at all just purely lower back and traps.

betatest is offline Associate Member
    First thing on back day. My legs get fried real good when I switch to sumo style.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    back day...stiff deads on Ham day

Served is offline Associate Member
    I prefer to do deads on back day as well. I really don't see why people would do them on leg day. Unlike beta I do mine at the end of a back workout. If I start out and do deads, then hit up bentover bar rows or something similar my lower back is fried! lol

Served

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    I do deadlift on back day, and then i do roman dead lifts on leg day were you put about 135ish to start off with and just keep it next to you legs it rips you legs like you wouldn't belive, careful the first time cause you be hurting the next day

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    First exersice at the back day

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Served
    I prefer to do deads on back day as well. I really don't see why people would do them on leg day. Unlike beta I do mine at the end of a back workout. If I start out and do deads, then hit up bentover bar rows or something similar my lower back is fried! lol

Served
    That's the way it's supposed to be. I thought I'd get all tore up the last Monday, I did deads. Wasn't really hurting.
    Maybe it's because I stretch between every set of deads and bent over rows.
    I did three sets of warm up deads. Then three working sets.
    Right after, I did bent over rows on a platform so I could get the barbell to hit my toes before I come up to my stomach for three sets at 165lbs.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I do em on back day, sometimes I do lat pull downs first to get the blood flowin, deads second, bent over rows, then shrugs. Git r done.

Served is offline Associate Member
    I may try that 63190. All I know is that if I start out doing deads my lower back is so pumped and tight that it ruins the rest of my workout.

Served

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Served

Served
    Ditto! Deads are dead last in my back routine.

~SC~

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Depends on your goals.

If you are bb'ing then what SC and others said is worth trying but if you care more about non lift-specific max strength (ie cross training for another sport, not powerlifting) then IMO you need to deadlift first and deadlift heavy. I give deadlift it's own day and then I train the rest of my back aroud it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    do you guys do dead lifts on back days or leg days?

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Depends on your goals.

If you are bb'ing then what SC and others said is worth trying but if you care more about non lift-specific max strength (ie cross training for another sport, not powerlifting) then IMO you need to deadlift first and deadlift heavy. I give deadlift it's own day and then I train the rest of my back aroud it.
    Why does it matter if you are lifting as a BB or powerlifter versus cross training or just lifting to get generally stronger?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Your workout plan/routine should definitely be based around your goals. If you are an NCAA offensive lineman then you should train like one, likewise, if you are a bb or a powerlifter you should train like one (and eat like one). You aren't going to win any powerlifting contests or make the starting lineup on a ball team becasue you did a lot of cable crossovers in your program. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    Why does it matter if you are lifting as a BB or powerlifter versus cross training or just lifting to get generally stronger?

Thread Information