Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cb25 is offline Banned
    i started doing deadlifts last year, after about 5 years of lifting. i've already starting seeing some growth in my back...traps have started blowing up.

and it just feels good...

and i've done stiff-legged deads for a few years...best ham exercise, hands down.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    ok, i was wondering if you all could give me a ballpark range at what weight i may be able to use for the first time

if it helps any, here are some stats

bench-330
    squat-350 for 12
    after a hard upperback workout, shruggs 250 for 10 to give you an idea on grip strength after grip is fatigued

so if anyone has stats similar to mine, could you leg me know what you deadlift with or what you started at

when you deadlift, you dont touch the weight to the ground right?

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    Depends.....when working on speed, with lighter load I'll come real close to touching. On really heavy lift days I lift, set it all the way down, let go of the bar and then reposition myself and make the next lift. I do this each time.....I'm not in a hurry and I want to make sure my form is spot on perfect.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Watch this video. It shows proper form for deadlifts.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mitchdeaddsl.ram

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Watch this video. It shows proper form for deadlifts.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mitchdeaddsl.ram
    well, if you only bring the bar down to your shins, then you wont be touching the weights to the ground. right?

not really sure how to play that video. but thanks

well, if you only bring the bar down to your shins, then you wont be touching the weights to the ground. right?

not really sure how to play that video. but thanks
    It's a real audio file.

Try this one instead, windows media.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mitchdeaddsl.wmv

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I deadlift from my knees up for back day, the fruit of my labour is my back in the avatar, usually 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps with around 350-400lbs, depending on the day and my mood...also do straight leg deadlift fro my hams, on leg day usually 2 sets of 8-10 reps...DEADLIFT IS A MUST EXERCISES in any productive routine...XXL

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Deadlifts, pull-ups, and t-bar rows!!! All you need for back imo.

builtthekid is offline Banned
    Power clean 385

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmm... does any one here use a dead lifting platform? I saw some one post they load the bar with 25lb plates. This is similar to doing platform style. You go real deep to get the pull. I let the bar go almost until it touches my toes. I do my first set of 12 with 135. Second set of 10 with 225. Third set of 8 with 315. I'm through with one rep maxes. From now on the fewiest reps I will go for a max will be a set of 6 for legs and back, 2 for shoulders and bench. From a body building stand point, other than basing percentages for a work out scheme I just don't see a need for it.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Hmm... does any one here use a dead lifting platform? I saw some one post they load the bar with 25lb plates. This is similar to doing platform style. You go real deep to get the pull. I let the bar go almost until it touches my toes. I do my first set of 12 with 135. Second set of 10 with 225. Third set of 8 with 315. I'm through with one rep maxes. From now on the fewiest reps I will go for a max will be a set of 6 for legs and back, 2 for shoulders and bench. From a body building stand point, other than basing percentages for a work out scheme I just don't see a need for it.
    I only do block deads if I am having trouble getting the weight moving on my heavy deads. It uses alot more glutes, hams, and hips. I knew a guy who would do nothing but block deads with 5 plates, he now has a very nice scar on his arm from his doc reattaching his biceps tendon.

is it ok to do deadlifts if your quads and only your quads are slightly sore. would that overtrain your legs/ keep in mind my hamms and glutes are not sore?

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    I have been doin deadlifts for awhile now. I usualy do rack pulls just setting the bar a couple inches below my knees. I found that the farther u go down the more it uses your legs in the movement so I dont do pulls from the floor anymore. Since I have been doin rack pulls my actual pulls from the floor have gone way up. I can do about 405 for 15 from the floor. When i do rack pulls i do about 545 for 6-8, just depends how I feel. But deads will make anyone huge lik everyone said its a great muscle builder for the whole body.

Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr
    I only do block deads if I am having trouble getting the weight moving on my heavy deads. It uses alot more glutes, hams, and hips. I knew a guy who would do nothing but block deads with 5 plates, he now has a very nice scar on his arm from his doc reattaching his biceps tendon.
    If he used his bicep that means he was doing it with bad form. No?
    crazle43764, sounds impressive. Do you ever do one rep maxes?

I know I'm contradicting myself. I said I'd never do one rep maxes any more and then when I got to the gym after that post I had wild hair up my @$$ and did it any way for Clean and Press. I warmed up with the bar for like 8 reps. Then I did a set of three with 135. Then I went for one at 185. Then I went for one at 195. I was happy since after my shoulder/pec injury I can still do 195. And it went up with relative ease. My gym got rid of thier iron and wen with rubber coated iron. We lost our 2 1/2 pounders. The next step up was 205. I cleaned it pretty easy but couldn't get the bar past my chin on the press. I'm going to have to get used to incline presses and front seated shouler presses again before I can get over 205 up.

Thumbs up

aright boys, i just got back from deadlifting for the first time. here's my numbers, what do you think?

315-2
    295-5
    275-4
    stiff legged
    255-6
    225-8
    225-7

if really felt natural tonight.

i was confused becuase it didnt really seem that grueling. and i was'nt sore after i got back.

but when i was in my dorm room bathroom washing out a cup for protein, i was slightly hunched, and was like, o man i feel it now

hurts good

aright boys, i just got back from deadlifting for the first time. here's my numbers, what do you think?

315-2
    295-5
    275-4
    stiff legged
    255-6
    225-8
    225-7

if really felt natural tonight.

i was confused becuase it didnt really seem that grueling. and i was'nt sore after i got back.

but when i was in my dorm room bathroom washing out a cup for protein, i was slightly hunched, and was like, o man i feel it now

hurts good
    I would put bent leg deadlifts with your back workout and only do stiff leg deadlifts when training hamstrings. I've never done both together.

today i did all those deadlift sets
    leg curls
    calf raises

but how are those numbers for first time

leg curls
    calf raises

Depends on your body weight and strength level. If you're over 6' 270+ I'd say you went light. If you're 5'2" 125 I'd say you went pretty heavy.

Don't worry about the numbers. I'd stick to doing them light to medium until you get used to the movement and know you're keeping good form. Then weekly add more weight to your lifts. Don't rush pounding the weight and end up injuring your back.

im 5'9 215. i bet i my deadlift will go up like 50 pounds in a month since i never deadlifted before.

also, i am sure grip strength had alot to do with my numbers. grip strength will proly go up really quick.
    Last edited by IronReload04; 09-26-2004 at 08:33 PM.

dukebrown is offline New Member
    Myself I like doing deads on a platform so the wieght is always controlled. I lift the weight when I can feel my hands touch the toung of my shoes. I do them at the end of my back workout with 3 wu and then 3 sets of 365 6-8 reps. Two weeks ago i tried deads from the floor and I didnt get the same intese feeling in my back.

leg curls
    calf raises

You need to change around your routine. Do straight leg deads on your hamstring leg days after squats.

Do regular deads as the core exercise on back days when you do chins and such.

Seem like not enough reps to me for body building. Are you power lifting? Either way, don't be concerned with weight. Get the technique down good before you think about moving weight.

Seem like not enough reps to me for body building. Are you power lifting?
    When I do deadlifts I do 10 reps for a warm up and then I go heavy and do no more than 6-8 reps.

I tried that today. I did a set of 10 at 225, set of 6 at 315, and a set of 4 at 335. All on a platform. People look at me funny. I hate that the platform is right next to the mirrors and dumb bell racks. I feel like I'm center stage freak show or something.
    Then I did a set of body weight chins to the front for 15 reps, set of 8 at 25lbs+BW, set of 3 at 45lbs+BW dropped the weight and did three more at Body Weight.
    3x9 Bent over DB Row at 80
    Preacher curls
    1x12@60Narrow, 1x12@60Wide, 1x10@60N, 1x10@60W
    Seated DB Altenating Curls
    3x9@30lbs
    Roman chair
    1x17, 1x20, 1x30
    Super setted side bends 3x30
    Last edited by 63190; 09-27-2004 at 12:36 PM.

if i did deads on sunday, do you think i will be recovered enough to do shoulders and tris on tuesday? or should i take an extra day off and to delts and tris on wednesday

massimo is offline Junior Member
    IMO nothing thickings your back more then heavy dead lifts and heavy one armed dumb bell rows. Thast just my .02

this is a sample of my back routine....
    3/4 deads 135x20 315x15 545x6 315x20
    chins bwx20 25+bwx15 45+bwx8
    barbell rows 135x20 225x20 335x15-225x20 dropset
    dumbell rows 100x15 125x15 150x15-20
    low rows 150x15 220x15 300x8
    wide pulldown 150x30 170x25 200x20
    pullovers 60x30 80x25 100x20

I know this seems like a lot but this has worked out great for making my back wider and a lot thicker.....I think for your back to grow you have to hit it with a lot of different exercises because it is such a large muscle group.

Also 63190 I do try one rep maxes once in awhile on deadlift but thats about it, last time i tried maxing out i got 585 for one which i dont think is to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by crazle43764

I know this seems like a lot but this has worked out great for making my back wider and a lot thicker.....I think for your back to grow you have to hit it with a lot of different exercises because it is such a large muscle group.

Also 63190 I do try one rep maxes once in awhile on deadlift but thats about it, last time i tried maxing out i got 585 for one which i dont think is to bad.
    thats alot of weiht your pulling for barbell row **** dude.

**** man. is it normal for your lats and rear delts and shoulderblade muscles to a little sore from deadlifting when that is all the back work you did

and only palm side of forearms to be sore nad opposite side of forearms to feel nothing?
    Last edited by IronReload04; 09-27-2004 at 05:49 PM.

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    I love deadlifts. It is great exersise for the back

**** man. is it normal for your lats and rear delts and shoulderblade muscles to a little sore from deadlifting when that is all the back work you did

and only palm side of forearms to be sore nad opposite side of forearms to feel nothing?
    bump

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    depends what you're working. If you want a broad, thick back, standard deadlifts are what you're after. If you want to work your hamstrings, stiff legged deadlifts are the ticket. Do what i do and just do both. Break your leg day up into two days spaced relatively far apart, and do both types of deads and hams one day, and then leg press, squats, and extensions the other.
    Thats exactly what I do!

I believe so, if your not using lifting straps. With that many sets and reps I'd be using straps on those lifts. I can't believe you barbell row that many reps at that weight. I do a set of 12 at 135, set of 10@145, set of 8@155. All narro grip all bent over at the waist. Then I do chins. I barely got a set of 15@BW, set of 8@BW+25, set of 3@BW+45 drop set to BW and another 3 reps. DB Bent over row 3x9@80. YOU are an animal compared to me. Hats off to ya, brotha. I'd use straps for every one of those sets if I was you. On my shoulder day is when I work my forearms with wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I'm a mechanic so I punish my forearms ever day any way. I have to use straps on every other pulling exercise.
    Last edited by 63190; 09-28-2004 at 12:00 PM.

I believe so, if your not using lifting straps. With that many sets and reps I'd be using straps on those lifts. I can't believe you barbell row that many reps at that weight. I do a set of 12 at 135, set of 10@145, set of 8@155. All narro grip all bent over at the waist. Then I do chins. I barely got a set of 15@BW, set of 8@BW+25, set of 3@BW+45 drop set to BW and another 3 reps. DB Bent over row 3x9@80. YOU are an animal compared to me. Hats off to ya, brotha. I'd use straps for every one of those sets if I was you. On my shoulder day is when I work my forearms with wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I'm a mechanic so I punish my forearms ever day any way. I have to use straps on every other pulling exercise.
    i dont wanna use straps because i want the forearm strength. i think that will help me in other lifts, make weights feel lighter.

i am not really sure what your were answering when you said "i believe so" exactly.

what i am really absolutely dieing to find out is this question. my lats and rear delts are very sore and all upperback are quite sore. is this normal when deadlifts was the only back work i did. it feels as if i have rowed and did latpull downs even though i did not. is htis normal?

Quote Originally Posted by crazle43764

do you think your b.b row strength suffers any from the deads

Well to answer your question about deadliftin effecting my row strength... i have no idea cause i have been doing deads first in my workout for so long I havent tried to do rows first to see if I can lift any more weight. Ill have to try it next workout cause I think my lower back is being overtrained.

Are you doing full deads or rack pulls, Ive found if you pull from the floor you get sore all over your back and when you do rack pulls u get sore just around the lower back area... thats just from my experience but everyone is different.

63190 when you do barbell rows do u use a wide or narrow grip, I have always used a narrower grip because when I go wide I feel absolutely nothing in my back, also I think narrower grip hits your lower lats more. I do use straps a lot on back day but I do a lot of deadlift holds with about 500lbs without straps to keep my grip strength up.

my bad, I just read where u said that you do use a narrow grip.

I believe it is normal for your lats, rear delts, and shoulder blade muscles to be sore from deadlifting when that is all the back work you did.

But if it was me I'd use the dead lift as a core exercise for the back. I mean it already primed and warmed up every other back muscle. Why not hit weighted chins, bent over BB row and/or DB rows, or T-bar rows all on the same day. You could also add in some Forearm or Bicep work after the back work. I think I'm going to add DB shurgs to my routine that day.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasFitnessGirl
    Thats exactly what I do!
    then why are you so much hotter than i am???

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    then why are you so much hotter than i am???
    She doesn't have a penis? Just guessing. hahahahahaha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information