Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Jason....today is the BIG day...

I'm going for the 2 wheels (1 x 225) benchpress.....

Remember if I make it you have to work on the chatroom thingy !

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    LMAO, bro I thought it was going to be on Friday. I was going to post something on the board wishing you luck. Go get it bro. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Get in there and push for all of AR!

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck bro. Remember it all mental.

Originally posted by PTbyJason
    LMAO, bro I thought it was going to be on Friday. I was going to post something on the board wishing you luck. Go get it bro. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Get in there and push for all of AR!
    It got pushed up to today because of a friend who trains with me sometimes not being able to be there tomorrow and I can't train with my trainer at the time he is available tomorrow (I have a Hurricane baseball game to go to at 7pm, the time he wanted to train on Friday).

So today is the day....what should my pre-lifting meal be to get the most power? I have about 2 hours before I lift.

By the way thanks Jason.....I'm gonna try.

Originally posted by RON
    Good luck bro. Remember it all mental.
    Thanks Ron, I'm gonna go for it all !

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    dont' tell yourself that you are going to try. Walk into the gym already knowing you are going to do it. So the only thing left is to push the weight. Confidence is the key man. NO WORRIES!! Let us know how easy it went up!!!!!

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    canes your weak and it will be a long time b4 you see 225

if i were you i would not even bother trying it save your strength for 135 your old and tired (<--- im trying some reverse psycology here )

good luck

Originally posted by broncojosh
    dont' tell yourself that you are going to try. Walk into the gym already knowing you are going to do it. So the only thing left is to push the weight. Confidence is the key man. NO WORRIES!! Let us know how easy it went up!!!!!
    I will do it...thanks Bronco !

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Sure you are Devils...
    Hey man I will tell ya alittle secret what some of the guys used to do back home (may Jason can vouch for this one being that he is from the same hometown), we used to snort that shit that you find in first aid kits that is supposed to wake you up, (burns the hell out of your nose), well called them "poppers". We would break one, snort it, and get after it. Worked for us, especially if we were trying to do a heavy set of squats or trying to out do one another.
    Go get it bra..
    Get to werk Jay.. He is gonna do it I feel it..

Originally posted by DevilsDeity
    canes your weak and it will be a long time b4 you see 225

if i were you i would not even bother trying it save your strength for 135 your old and tired (<--- im trying some reverse psycology here )

good luck
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!! Okay that rips it !!!!!

Thanks DD !

Originally posted by Sicilian30
    Sure you are Devils...
    Hey man I will tell ya alittle secret what some of the guys used to do back home (may Jason can vouch for this one being that he is from the same hometown), we used to snort that shit that you find in first aid kits that is supposed to wake you up, (burns the hell out of your nose), well called them "poppers". We would break one, snort it, and get after it. Worked for us, especially if we were trying to do a heavy set of squats or trying to out do one another.
    Go get it bra..
    Get to werk Jay.. He is gonna do it I feel it..
    I'm getting read....5pm draws ever closer.....

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    to make a challenge you have to prove

Thumbs down I FAILED !!!!!!!!

Lets face it folks I'm kidding myself that I can lift......I failed after getting it about 4 inches off my chest. I'm so FUCKEN weak, a pussy queer boy could friggin' push more weight than I can....

I'm pissed right now.........

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    theres always next week bro
    and if i remeber correct the last big lift you had was 155 X10
    155 to 225 is a big jump AT LEAST YOU ATTEMPTED IT, THATS GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

give yourself a pat on the back

DD

Originally posted by DevilsDeity
    theres always next week bro
    and if i remeber correct the last big lift you had was 155 X10
    155 to 225 is a big jump AT LEAST YOU ATTEMPTED IT, THATS GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

give yourself a pat on the back

DD
    Yeah I guess I was being hard on myself.....I feel better now.

Yes last week I did 155 x 10, and with good form, so I thought I surely could get 225 for one time.

Does anyone know the ergonomics and biomechanics that would prevent you from doing this? It just doesn't seem possible you can lift 1,550 lbs one week all within about 2 minutes and then can't get 225 up for one rep at all.

To me this kidn of stuff is mystifing

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    So now you know how much work you have to do. Don't get discouraged. This should make you work that much harder canes. Keep working, and you will push right through 225lbs!!!

Originally posted by broncojosh
    So now you know how much work you have to do. Don't get discouraged. This should make you work that much harder canes. Keep working, and you will push right through 225lbs!!!
    Thanks Bronco, man someday I'll have to coax you down from WPB to train with me and maybe you can help me get it past that 225 !

G-S Guest
    Don't sweat it. The bench press is nothing more than highschool ego material. Serious lifter's know the importance of the deadlift and squat

Those 2 impress me..not the bench. But, if it's a milestone for you, I say keep on pushin for it, you'll get it.

Originally posted by Gettin Stupid
    Don't sweat it. The bench press is nothing more than highschool ego material. Serious lifter's know the importance of the deadlift and squat

Those 2 impress me..not the bench. But, if it's a milestone for you, I say keep on pushin for it, you'll get it.
    Wel my dades and squats are much higher, so that makes me feel a lot better......I have very weak shoulders and that hampers me on so many lifts.

G-S Guest
    Ofcourse, I say that cuz I'm not a strong bencher either..lol

Nothing to do w/ shoulder strength on my part though, I just don't think I was "built" to bench.

Originally posted by Gettin Stupid
    Ofcourse, I say that cuz I'm not a strong bencher either..lol

Nothing to do w/ shoulder strength on my part though, I just don't think I was "built" to bench.
    I'm blessed and cursed with long arms, blessed when I deadlift and cursed when I bench !

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    ever try doing negatives with weight you cant bench???say alittle over 225 maybe alot over....I used this technique to up my bench...have a friend help you give it a try....once you feel what the weight feels like/225 will b easy....good luck my freind ALOHA ....BRONZE

Originally posted by bronzebeefcake
    ever try doing negatives with weight you cant bench???say alittle over 225 maybe alot over....I used this technique to up my bench...have a friend help you give it a try....once you feel what the weight feels like/225 will b easy....good luck my freind ALOHA ....BRONZE
    Hi my friend Bronze, yes I want to do them, but unfortunately the gym I go to has a power-cage that is broken and they won't fix it.....and it's a Golds too.

I'd like to work on partials and can do them on that but don't have any facilities.

I may have to put in my own gym at my house eventually.

Originally posted by Diesel

Canes, it is in your head. If you can hit 155 X 10 you have that 225 X 1 in you. Have you ever had 225 on the bar before? I ask because this is what can happen to people.
    They get all fired up for a max rep. They lift the bar and they feel the pressure of the weight. A weight they have never felt before and a part of your brain says "OH SHIT".
    Now that you have had and felt that weight, the next time it all you brother.
    Diesel brother,

Thanks for the encouragement, I know I will get it and soon.

I have never been over 180 for a 1 rep max, that is why I am mystified as to why I can do 10 x 155 but not 1 x 225. Like you say it's got to be a psychological thing.....mind over matter.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Canes I have long arms and hit 490's !. Stop making excuses man. Have someone look at your form too. When I go for a max I sometimes let the huge weight fuck up my mind and hold it above me too long, have your spotter get you into the movement straight away. 225lbs is not that heavy and a spotter should be able to lift it from you, so don't be afraid to bring it down (under control) a little fast and EXPLODE it off your chest. At your sticking point DON'T hold your breath but a huge exhale should have it moving.
    Take a thumbless grip too and make your those elbows are pulled back paralel with the barbell and concentrate on putting the power through the heals of your hands.
    If you feel like your ready to hit that 225lbs and can't I'd suggest doing those above.
    Plus don't go to too many warm up sets. At 70%-80% max just take a feel for the weight for maybe 2-4 reps and be carefull not to exhaust yourself. Rack the weight, give yourself 2,3 or even 4 minutes concentrating 'IN DA ZONE' then hit it like a mother fucker.
    Have 110% confidence in your spotter too. Without my regular spotter I'm hitting 10%-20% less weight !.
    REgards

Bouncer

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Diesels right bro its all in your head. Just remember you CAN lift it. If you start doubting it you'll give up before you get to the top everytime.

Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Canes I have long arms and hit 490's !. Stop making excuses man. Have someone look at your form too. When I go for a max I sometimes let the huge weight fuck up my mind and hold it above me too long, have your spotter get you into the movement straight away. 225lbs is not that heavy and a spotter should be able to lift it from you, so don't be afraid to bring it down (under control) a little fast and EXPLODE it off your chest. At your sticking point DON'T hold your breath but a huge exhale should have it moving.
    Take a thumbless grip too and make your those elbows are pulled back paralel with the barbell and concentrate on putting the power through the heals of your hands.
    If you feel like your ready to hit that 225lbs and can't I'd suggest doing those above.
    Plus don't go to too many warm up sets. At 70%-80% max just take a feel for the weight for maybe 2-4 reps and be carefull not to exhaust yourself. Rack the weight, give yourself 2,3 or even 4 minutes concentrating 'IN DA ZONE' then hit it like a mother fucker.
    Have 110% confidence in your spotter too. Without my regular spotter I'm hitting 10%-20% less weight !.
    REgards

Bouncer
    Thanks brother, this is great advice. Actually I have recently found out my form on bench has been bad for a long time. I was using too much shoulders, and I may have injured rotator cuffs. They are usually the reason I can't make these type of lifts.....hmmmmm, I smell another thread. (Expect a shoulders thread here today)

Originally posted by RON
    Diesels right bro its all in your head. Just remember you CAN lift it. If you start doubting it you'll give up before you get to the top everytime.
    Thanks Ron, I appreciate the support.

All you brothers have been great in your support, it means a lot brothers. !!!

Thread Information