j.p. is offline Junior Member

is the sauna a good thing or bad

i am just wondering if it is a good thing cause i would just think it would make you loose water wieght not fat

if anyone knows just reply

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i used the sauna for muscle relaxing and opening of the pours

To me, the benefits far outweigh any hazards. If you're in reasonable health, the benefits of a sauna or steam bath are great. If you have high blood pressure or heart disease, saunas may be good for you, but you'll want to be cautious; check with your physician first, and go easy. And with either of these conditions, it's not a good idea to jump right into cold water afterward, as Finns always do.

When you take a sauna, the heat pumps up blood circulation near the skin and stimulates sweating. The Finns say a proper sauna elicits about a quart of sweat per hour. I generally encourage sweating. It helps the body rid itself of unwanted materials and improves general circulation. In medieval times, healers relied on saunas to cure illnesses, and priests used their heat to chase away evil spirits.
    http://www.hut.fi/~icankar/sauna/drweil.html

This action does 2 important things for you,

The increase in circulation helps your immune system "purge" toxins and waste from your blood stream.
    The increase in circulation also speeds up your metabolism. You actually burn more calories just sitting in a Sauna!
    So there you have it, sitting in your Sauna is actually GOOD for you. Losing weight and relaxing...why not?
    THis came from an ad http://www.soundcedar.com/shopping/sauna/benefits.shtml

Jenna is offline Female Member
    I personally don't know if it's good or bad - all I know is that the heat feels GREAT after 30 minutes of intense cardio! I love it and just about fall asleep in it!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Actually, as long as you use your head, its good for you. Sauna's and steam rooms are really hot, lol. That helps your body pull lactic acid out of your muscles. But of course you can hurt yourself if you are in there for extended periods of time.

Wrestlers at my school used to put a stationary bike in the steam room and workout in there in sweats. Very stupid. Stuff like that is how people die. And in case your wondering, my school has taken measures so that it can not happen anymore.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I hit the steam room for 15, sauna for 15 after a good workout. It helps with soreness.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    it causes slight inflammation and edema in the muscles and can slow recovery time. ironically taking anti-inflammatories to relieve DOMS also slows recovery time, so i don't think it's the inflammation that's the key to effecting your recovery time. either way, whatever mechanism it works by, saunas or hot tubs after a workout is not the best thing you can do for your muscles.

j.p. is offline Junior Member
    but what i am saying does it make u lose size or muscle or does it burn fat

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    you will not lose size or muscle, and it will not burn fat. There is no easy way to put on mass or loose fat, both are done with a proper diet, good rest, and intense workouts.

it will make you lose a lot of weight, but all of it will be water weight.

STORM SHADOW is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Dr.Evil
    it causes slight inflammation and edema in the muscles and can slow recovery time. ironically taking anti-inflammatories to relieve DOMS also slows recovery time, so i don't think it's the inflammation that's the key to effecting your recovery time. either way, whatever mechanism it works by, saunas or hot tubs after a workout is not the best thing you can do for your muscles.
    I have to echo you Bro. Sauna after a workout is a major no no. You want your muscles to cool naturaly and replace glycogen stores right after a workout or it will actually reverse your efforts. Don't believe me? email Tom Platz. We know his legs outweighed his upper body, so after a leg workout he put them in a hot whirlpool bath so that they would stop growing but hold their coarse.

Save the sauna/whirlpools etc. for recovery days, that's what their for.

Oh..... I might add that it is also correct that anti-inflamitories do slow down progress.

THE STORM SHADOW
    Last edited by STORM SHADOW; 03-12-2002 at 10:42 PM.

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    what about the sauna or steam room the day before a competition or a game? i have heard mixed reviews about this one, what do you guys think??

hewy is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Diesel

Wrestlers are some crazy Mofo's.
    i know, back in high school they would turn all the showers on full blast as hot as they could go and jump rope and do pushup in the middle wearing sweats and garbage bags. the whole locker room was filled with steam and condensation

Originally posted by CrazyRussian
    what about the sauna or steam room the day before a competition or a game? i have heard mixed reviews about this one, what do you guys think??
    no. it's very draining. if it's really cold out there and it's tough to get the muscles warmed up then it wouldn't be too bad to go in there for a small amount of time to get the blood flowing in the muscles so you can stretch and warm up properly.

Thread Information