broncojosh is offline Senior Member

getting the "stair step" traps...

Okay guys, I've got descent size traps, but want MORE! I want that "stair step" look. You know, at the outer part of the trap, there is a drop...Any suggestions on good exercises would be great.

Gearnow is offline Junior Member

my opinion

Traps should be done only twice a week with 2 sets each time.
    since traps are constantly working in your body, because you're moving your neck all the time. it works just like your calves and forearm. it must be done quickly at a quick pace. put how much weight you want a bar, put your thumb in your pocket and grab the bar at that width. than take your thumb out grip the bar tight. and when you're doing traps always keep your shoulder high because you don't wanna a round look. once you start going up and down with your traps you will get a round look and nobody wants that round shoulder look. you want the pointy shoulder look that comes up sort of. keep shoulder up don't go down too much. move up and down like an inch and give it like 30-40 reps. this what one my older friends at the gym told me and his neck traps look like a basball diamond. again, this is just an opinion.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Heavy deadlifts will do the job combined with shrugs....

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    Gear now I heard that the stretch when going down was very important? but what you are saying is, keep your shoulders up the whole time dont like them drag down?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I know the look you are looking for. Do up right rows with a wide grip for the look your going for. If you want to hit them very strict do them in a smith machine.

Bouncer

Gearnow is offline Junior Member
    Yes OT, don't bring your shoulder all the way down because that way you will get a round shoulder. you don't want your shoulders look like a down hill. you want that trap and your shoulder pointing up. keep your shoulders high enough so your movement is about an inch up and inch down or inch and half up and inch and half down.

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    I LOVE dead lifts, but I use a hex bar, will this still work my traps?

Thread Information