OoDee is offline Junior Member

Trying to build bigger tri´s!?

Ok. The problem is the small size of my tri´s when you compare them to my bi´s. I think they´re relatively small.
    So what I´m tryin to do is to get my tri´s bigger faster than bi´s. What do you guys suggest I should do? Right now I´m training every muscle group once a week. Maybe I should train the bi´s only every second week but at the same time it feels like that would not be enough for the bi´s since I wan´t to improve them too! So if got any idea´s, please tell me!

OoDee

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Try close grip bench press..(HAVE YOUR HANDS ABOUT 6-8INCHES APART AND GO HEAVY)

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    For tri's i do them 2x's a week
    french curls(skull crushers) 4 sets 8 reps
    push downs 4 sets 8 reps

on my 2nd day of tris ill do push downs 1st and then the skull crushers

what are your current arm exercises?

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Try doing your triceps in a workout by themselve. Stick to closegrip bench, skullcrushers and dips.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Dips with heavy weight & lots of Diamond Push ups....added to your regular workout always has worked for me for quick results.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Close grips BP, Skull crshers (if they hurt use a cable machine) and dips.
    I like high 10-15 reps on my triceps and biceps.

Bouncer

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Your triceps get a lot of excercise from press movements so they should not be lagging that much but skull crushes,Tricep pulldowns , tricep extensions all help build big triceps

Great. So it sounds like I should go for skull crushers, push downs, and bench press (close grip). Right now I can´t really do the BP because there´s something wrong with my left wrist.
    I don´t really know about dips ´cause it just feels like they aren´t working for me. I just can´t get the burn.

At the moment I´m training my tri´s with chest. What I´m doing currently (for tri´s is):
    First: I´m using the cable machine. I´m standing up and leaning forward and pulling the rope over my head. I have no idea what it´s called in english but I hope you got the idea.

Second: Again. I have no idea what this is called in english. I grab a dumbell and kind of pull it up from behind my neck (dammit! This is hard trying explain these things!).

Third: One hand pull down in the cable machine.

Right now I´m doing 4 sets adn 6 reps.
    Oh and what are diamond push ups?

OoDee

p.s. I could really use some with all these english terms. Does anyone have any idea where I could find some info?

Oh and another thing. Is there a different between push downs and pull downs? I mean, if you´re doing pull downs for tri´s, is it same than saying that you´re going push downs with a reversed grip?

OoDee

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Just put your hands together with thumbs & index fingers touching where it forms a diamond.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    pushdowns is when your hands are on top of the bar pushing down. pulldowns is reversed. Grab the bar from under it. So your palms would be up and then pull down
    Hope that helps
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Dbolaholic is offline Junior Member
    For your dips strap a wieght to your waist, dont worry, there will be a burn. And i agree, skull crushers and close grip are king.

G-S Guest
    Close Grip Bench Press - blow them tri's outta the water bro.

Jenna is offline Female Member
    If you do some of these suggested tricep exercise, increase the weight and lower the reps and do them TWICE a week, or once every 3 days.... you should definitely see more size. Increase the reps for bi's just temporarily, until you began to get proportional. Your tricep is actually supposed to be bigger than the bicep, so if it's smaller now, then it'll take some time... Also, make sure that your biceps aren't compensating for the heavy weight your tri's are pushing.... really focus on pinching and using your tricep...

<<<< JENNA >>>>

sniper105 is offline Junior Member
    If your wrist is hurting on bench try a reverse grip. Grab the bar so your palms are facing you and your thumbs are pointing out. Keep the same width grip (about 6-8" apart) then lower the bar to the top of your rib cage, go heavy!!!

On your dips add weight and also throw your chest way out in front, and concentrate on lowering yourself with just your arms. Also try and get a closer grip on that too to help isolate the tri's
    Last edited by sniper105; 03-25-2002 at 09:54 AM.

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    i broke my wrist few years ago, so mine are pretty weak what i do to help is wear brace or wrap on some lifts (i know it not making it stronger by doing this but otherwise i never improve my chest,deadlift, etc because i could lift heavy enough wieghts) and remember work your wrist out at least 3 times a week and strench it everyday. By doing all those exercises that u got through your phsyiscal therapist. it has helped me increase my wrist by 10 folds.

Originally posted by *Jennifer*
    If you do some of these suggested tricep exercise, increase the weight and lower the reps and do them TWICE a week, or once every 3 days.... you should definitely see more size. Increase the reps for bi's just temporarily, until you began to get proportional. Your tricep is actually supposed to be bigger than the bicep, so if it's smaller now, then it'll take some time... Also, make sure that your biceps aren't compensating for the heavy weight your tri's are pushing.... really focus on pinching and using your tricep...
    So it would be a good idea to do tri´s twice a week??! That´s what I would love to do. I was just a little afraid it would be too much for them...

And a word about the dips. I actually do strap a weight on my wrist and really go heavy. AND My grip is almost as narrow as my waist is. But for some reason I still can´t feel the burn like I can feel it when doing pushdown´s, skull crushers, close grip BP, etc.
    But I guess I´ll just have to work on that more...

Anyway, big thanks to all of you guys! You´ve already helped me guite alot!

OoDee

Jenna is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by OoDee
    So it would be a good idea to do tri´s twice a week??! That´s what I would love to do. I was just a little afraid it would be too much for them...
    It's not too much for me - just don't work them if they're real sore. Let them heal and build back up before working them again. And, as soon as the soreness is gone, work 'em again. I work mine once every 4th day. But, here again, you're trying to catch them up to your bi's...

<<<< JENNA >>>>

superbeast is offline Member
    Don't forget, tri's are used when doing chest and shoulders also. If you are going to them twice a week, I would suggest a heavy day and a light day.

superbeast is offline Member
    Originally posted by OoDee
    Oh and another thing. Is there a different between push downs and pull downs? I mean, if you´re doing pull downs for tri´s, is it same than saying that you´re going push downs with a reversed grip?

OoDee
    It's called a reverse grip pushdown. The movement is still the same, only the grip has changed.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    For me pushups worked very well, as well as tricep pulldowns. Thats all i do for my tri's man. Triceps make up 70% of your arm, so if your biceps are bigger then they've gotta be alot smaller. Try the close grip bench like Vex said, and throw in alotta pushups before you go to bed, or during your workout. Tricep press downs work very well, and so do skull crushers. For the pushups, getta deck of cards, flip a card and do that value of pushups for the number...face cards are 10, aces are 15. Good luck man

Thread Information