Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715

    Quad workout for a superbeast

    This was last night's quad workout. I'm a firm believer in higher reps on legs. Otherwise you develop size and no separation. I won't post weights as that is not important and everybody is different. I do squats on a smith machine so I can adjust my stance to isolate quads better. Here goes.

    Warmup with a few light sets of squats, leg presses, and leg extensions.

    Pick a weight you can do 20-25 time on squats and do 20 reps
    Striaght to the leg press, another 20 reps, you should almost need help to finish the set. Straight to the leg extension machine. Pick a weight you can only do 10 times, drop the weight and do another 10, drop and do your final 10.

    Stumble to the bathroom and puke. Wash the taste out of your mouth and go back for more. Repeat the series 3 more times with no rest between exercises and only a 2 minute break between cycles.

    I use many different quad workouts and am always changing, but this is one of the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quad workout for a superbeast-legs2.jpg  

  2. #2
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Damn bro, that sounds like some good stuff. I'll print this and keep it for my next training cycle, I want to try this !

  3. #3
    Babyweight's Avatar
    Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    1,297
    Superbeast...I just started doing high reps about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a little difference. I already have decent cuts but I am mainely looking on adding the size.
    Would this workout help in size as well as cutting up??
    Any info would be helpful... Doing legs tonite!!!
    BW

  4. #4
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    Superbeast...I just started doing high reps about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a little difference. I already have decent cuts but I am mainely looking on adding the size.
    Would this workout help in size as well as cutting up??
    Any info would be helpful... Doing legs tonite!!!
    BW
    Definately, a lot of schools of thought believe in nothing but high reps. I rarely go to sets with less than 8 reps. My legs measure 29" right now. You can add size and definition at the same time. Notice how most powerlifters have big legs but no cuts?

  5. #5
    Babyweight's Avatar
    Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    1,297
    So, Just wondering, with the higher reps, doing this particular workout is it possibly because your doing one exercise after another with no rest so it's bringing up the heart rate therefore burning more fat which in turn shows more cuts??
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused, But.....I will try anything once.
    (almost anything. :-)
    BW

  6. #6
    Lardyass is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    london
    Posts
    52
    Very shredded legs.

    Outstanding work, well done

  7. #7
    lethalppl's Avatar
    lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In dark dark place far far away
    Posts
    277
    nice ass legs. but to answer babywieght i beleive higher the wieght and lower the reps would be easier to increase your legs size then after u get to size u want and want the cuts hit this workout hard. Your legs will increase in size with higher wieght lower reps but be less define until u define them.I beleive this workout probably increase your legs size too but not as easy or as fast. In my opinion.

  8. #8
    Trianon's Avatar
    Trianon is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    202
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    Superbeast...I just started doing high reps about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a little difference. I already have decent cuts but I am mainely looking on adding the size.
    Would this workout help in size as well as cutting up??
    Any info would be helpful... Doing legs tonite!!!
    BW
    Going for Tom Platz legs, BW?

  9. #9
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    4,185
    So you don't believe in hitting you slow twitch fibers and going for growth ?. Thats an OK workout for a warm up, sort of like a short cycle on a bike but you simple need to hit those wheels harder and heavier than that to get growth.
    As regards your comments about power lifters, PL'ers don't diet to show definitions, but the separations are there. Sort of like a guy who does abs every work but eats a curry and a few beers later that night. He's probably got the best ab muscles in the world under the fat covering but their there, just like the power lifter with huge legs.
    If anyone has small legs and want growth I'd disregard high rep leg workouts in favour of heavy as hell squats, hacks, presses and extentions. The don't forget to fill out those wheels from behind with heavy curls, both laying and standing combined with heavy SLD's.

    Bouncer

  10. #10
    ironmike7000's Avatar
    ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    335
    I have to agree with Bouncer on heavy weight and lower reps. I've tried high rep squats and it didn't do much for me. But it must for Superbeast as he has a nice set of wheels on him. For myself the only way I can get my thighs to grow is with heavy deep squats. I'll do 4-5 warmup sets than I'll do sets of 10-8-6-4. The last two sets are done to failure. So I might get more than 6-4 repititions. I'll also do 3-4 sets each of leg extensions and leg curls for reps of 12-8. You just have to experiment to see what will work for you.

  11. #11
    Babyweight's Avatar
    Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    1,297
    Originally posted by Trianon

    Going for Tom Platz legs, BW?
    Trianon...I think that would be too big for me.
    Ya know I have to keep my womanly figure.

  12. #12
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Originally posted by Babyweight


    Trianon...I think that would be too big for me.
    Ya know I have to keep my womanly figure.
    And even if it is coming from me, I think you have a very feminine figure with just enough muscle to make you very attractive.

    BW you are quite a gal

  13. #13
    Babyweight's Avatar
    Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    1,297
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever


    And even if it is coming from me, I think you have a very feminine figure with just enough muscle to make you very attractive.

    BW you are quite a gal
    Canes that is so nice of you! Whadda ya mean "if it is coming you?" Everyones opinion counts in my book. We are all in this together, maybe for different reasons, but.....everyone wants to look good & be healthy. And some of us may be a little more vain than others, but heck EVERYONE can appreciate another person who takes care of themselves & tries to look good. That to me is what makes people sexy. Wouldn't ya say...
    Take care sweetie!
    BW

  14. #14
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Originally posted by Babyweight


    Canes that is so nice of you! Whadda ya mean "if it is coming you?" Everyones opinion counts in my book. We are all in this together, maybe for different reasons, but.....everyone wants to look good & be healthy. And some of us may be a little more vain than others, but heck EVERYONE can appreciate another person who takes care of themselves & tries to look good. That to me is what makes people sexy. Wouldn't ya say...
    Take care sweetie!
    BW
    Awww thanks BW, I meant it because I am <whispered> *you know*.

    And yes it's not totally how the person looks but if they are trying they are sexy in my eyes. I love men who workout yes, and how they look is more attractive, but my life-partner is not a GQ guy to most folks, but to me he looks better than Frank Sepe or Jay Cutler, because I love him and he is trying to improve and I see his learning and growing phsyique as that of a GQ BBer.

  15. #15
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Canes and BW,

    Would you two stop changing the topic!

  16. #16
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    910
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    Trianon...I think that would be too big for me.
    Ya know I have to keep my womanly figure.
    I wanna be as BIG as I can get naturally! That pic that Dr. Derek posted of his workout partner in Member Pic's looks awesome!! I want that to be ME when I'm in my 40's - HELL - I want that to be me NOW!!

    BW - I really don't think that if your lifting naturally that you have to worry about getting "manly". I lift hard and heavy in all my workouts and STILL want bigger bi's and legs....

    It's been my experience that men and women are very much attracted to my "medium-sized" muscles ... LOL !

    <<<< JENNA >>>>

  17. #17
    silverfox's Avatar
    silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,911
    Well I think it's important to do both some low rep and some high rep work for legs. For whatever reason i tend to grow in the 8-20 range and if you thing sets of 20 reps are easy they are not. I would sooner do a heavy single any day. But I really thing the key is to do something different for legs or anybody part every workout even if only changing reps or one excercise.

  18. #18
    Babyweight's Avatar
    Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    1,297
    Originally posted by superbeast
    Canes and BW,

    Would you two stop changing the topic!
    Hey, I didn't start it.
    My bad...

  19. #19
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Originally posted by superbeast
    Canes and BW,

    Would you two stop changing the topic!
    Okay well stop chatting and start drooling over you....(which I could do ).

    Superbeast, seriously how often do you change routines (and that goes for anyone else)? How long do you give a routine before you stop and give up on it?

    Do you keep journals of your different routines and put them in a sort of order? Do you change your routines when you cycle different kinds of AS?

    Sorry dumb questions, but I'm just learning the AS game.

  20. #20
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    So, Just wondering, with the higher reps, doing this particular workout is it possibly because your doing one exercise after another with no rest so it's bringing up the heart rate therefore burning more fat which in turn shows more cuts??
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused, But.....I will try anything once.
    (almost anything. :-)
    BW
    No, the workout doesn't cause enough of a difference in calories burned to show more cuts. I'm not saying that high reps will make you leaner or give you more cuts. It will give you better separation between muscles.

  21. #21
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    So you don't believe in hitting you slow twitch fibers and going for growth ?. Thats an OK workout for a warm up, sort of like a short cycle on a bike but you simple need to hit those wheels harder and heavier than that to get growth.
    As regards your comments about power lifters, PL'ers don't diet to show definitions, but the separations are there. Sort of like a guy who does abs every work but eats a curry and a few beers later that night. He's probably got the best ab muscles in the world under the fat covering but their there, just like the power lifter with huge legs.
    If anyone has small legs and want growth I'd disregard high rep leg workouts in favour of heavy as hell squats, hacks, presses and extentions. The don't forget to fill out those wheels from behind with heavy curls, both laying and standing combined with heavy SLD's.

    Bouncer
    First of all, I didn't say you shouldn't go heavy at all, but the bulk of your leg training should be higher rep work. As for intensity, a high rep workout is much more intense than a triple or a single, just like Eye Candy said.
    Secondly, there is a difference between muscle separation and being lean to show cuts. Any pro bodybuilder will tell you that there is more to developing your physique than just putting on mass and then dieting down to get cut.
    A perfect example would be Bigkev. He has an awesome physique. He posted a pic at 8or 9% bodyfat showing his quad. His legs are huge and he has me by a couple inches. But the separation between muscles is not the same. His legs are stronger than mine due to his powerlifting background. He is lean but it is not the same.
    Just another note: High rep leg training has been shown to release higher levels of natural growth hormone than low reps!

  22. #22
    Hitman's Avatar
    Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OZ via NZ
    Posts
    1,025
    i stick with the heavy as hell lifts starting at 70%, 80%, 90%, then 100% or failure what ever comes first my sets start at 12,10,8 then 6 reps and if a can do 6 reps then i add more weight. I dont do light lifts cause i figure thats what walkings for and ive got some good cuts coming through so i think the old adage is in order "its very much individual"............HITMAN

  23. #23
    defdaz's Avatar
    defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    298
    Like Superbeast I'm a proponent of higher reps for the legs - experience has shown me that for me and others I've seen higher reps do lead to better growth.

    When I was younger (hell, makes me sound 40!) I trained legs like it was an obsession and unfortunately this led to me being severely out of proportion. I had huge legs (like 550 pound smith machine squats for 14 reps) but a fairly small upper body. I looked crazy - the sweep on my quads was fantastic but only compounded the disproportioned look.

    I got my legs that way by doing things similar to Superbeast, but always relying on the pre-exhaust principle to make my training more effective. I was so strong that to not have done this would have caused knee and back problems by having to use so much weight.

    So, high rep quad work (done till you can hardly walk out of the gym) = big quads.

    I read once - the guys with the big legs are the ones who can take the pain. LOL!!!

    def

  24. #24
    Trianon's Avatar
    Trianon is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    202
    Originally posted by superbeast

    A perfect example would be Bigkev. He has an awesome physique. He posted a pic at 8or 9% bodyfat showing his quad. His legs are huge and he has me by a couple inches. But the separation between muscles is not the same. His legs are stronger than mine due to his powerlifting background. He is lean but it is not the same.
    Just another note: High rep leg training has been shown to release higher levels of natural growth hormone than low reps!
    true, true... I love high reps for legs and 20-25 set range.. Gotta have "the teardrop"

  25. #25
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever

    Superbeast, seriously how often do you change routines (and that goes for anyone else)? How long do you give a routine before you stop and give up on it?

    Do you keep journals of your different routines and put them in a sort of order? Do you change your routines when you cycle different kinds of AS?
    Personally, I change routines constantly. I never walk in the gym and do the same workout that I did the previous time I hit the same muscle group. I have a few core exercises for every bodypart but other than that it is different everytime. I use different exercises, # of reps, # of sets, rest time, order of exercises, etc. For a beginner, I don't think it is as important to change all the time. Also, it is harder to track your gains.

    The only thing that I journal is my nutrition. I keep track of everything that I eat. I know if I go to the gym and work my ass off, I get results. I'm not worried about the amount I'm lifting. The only thing that changes when I am cycling is the number of calories that I am taking in. I might add a few more sets to my workouts but not a whole lot.

  26. #26
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Originally posted by superbeast


    Personally, I change routines constantly. I never walk in the gym and do the same workout that I did the previous time I hit the same muscle group. I have a few core exercises for every bodypart but other than that it is different everytime. I use different exercises, # of reps, # of sets, rest time, order of exercises, etc. For a beginner, I don't think it is as important to change all the time. Also, it is harder to track your gains.

    The only thing that I journal is my nutrition. I keep track of everything that I eat. I know if I go to the gym and work my ass off, I get results. I'm not worried about the amount I'm lifting. The only thing that changes when I am cycling is the number of calories that I am taking in. I might add a few more sets to my workouts but not a whole lot.
    Thanks bro, I was hoping you'd see my post and answer. This will help me a lot on my changing my routines. I can use this advice a great deal.

    peace

  27. #27
    xenithon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    777
    i always believe u should do exercises INTENDED for high reps using high reps, and those INTENDED for low reps, do low reps. and yes, i do believe u get exercises intended for each

    for example, squat = intended for heavy, lower reps. then go to leg extension = more isolated movement = higher reps.

  28. #28
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Originally posted by xenithon
    i always believe u should do exercises INTENDED for high reps using high reps, and those INTENDED for low reps, do low reps. and yes, i do believe u get exercises intended for each

    for example, squat = intended for heavy, lower reps. then go to leg extension = more isolated movement = higher reps.
    Explain to me why a squat is intended for low reps?

  29. #29
    Canes4Ever's Avatar
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Miami, Fla
    Posts
    4,744
    Originally posted by xenithon
    i always believe u should do exercises INTENDED for high reps using high reps, and those INTENDED for low reps, do low reps. and yes, i do believe u get exercises intended for each

    for example, squat = intended for heavy, lower reps. then go to leg extension = more isolated movement = higher reps.
    Many people (including me over the last month) swear by 20 rep squat routines. They can be done either way and many people cycle low/high squat routines regularly.

  30. #30
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,712
    My buddy at the gym does the same superset as Superbeast... squat, press, extention as one superset and the guy has awesome legs. I'm going to try it this week.

  31. #31
    freak of the week is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Under the squat rack
    Posts
    136
    bump for some serious wheels!

  32. #32
    brad fuel's Avatar
    brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    138
    With this type of circuit training you get way more lactic acid buildup than with high intensity/low reps

    And for whoever said that women can't get big, that's a lie. Women have more growth hormone than men do. Even though they're missing testosterone they can still grow pretty huge. If you don't want to grow that huge then don't use this routine and watch your rest intervals. Women should have long rest intervals to clear out the acid.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •