edraven29 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up mixed up about training need help.

hi guys, for the past year i have been training max ot style meaning that i am lifting heavy weights for reps from 4-6 reps
    i do 12 sets for big muscles and 8 sets for small ones.

I would like to get more defined and dont plan to do the 12-15 reps becose when i did those i lost all my muscles, they just dont work for me.

I am scared that if i start doing what i did last time i will lose all my size.

Last year i used to train with reps between 8-10 reps, and was a lot more defined.

Do you guys think that 4-6 reps is to low.

I really wanna build definition and wanna stay big at the same time.

I train 4 times a week now using max ot, and i will add some cardio.

thanks for your help guys.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Different strokes for different folks - who,s saying is that??

Anyway you just need to find what works for you.I always work in the 6-8 rep range leg ext I go for 20reps for the burn and calfs anything up to 50reps

If 6-8 works for you use that as I guide line for me I do the following

As soon as I can do 3 sets of 8 the weight increases if I can,t do six reps its too heavy I,ll reduce the weight.Somedays I,m stronger and will lift more other days I,m not so I lift lighter.

Honestly listen to your body train instinctivly if you want to lift more and your body says yes go for it !! if it says no or it needs to rest do that.

No-one can tell you how to train or what to do as you know how you body reacts and tells you what to do - go with that its the best advice you can have

Billy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    edraven...if you want a little more definition I would add cardio to your routine (30-40 minutes, 3-4 x per week). Also increase the number of reps. 8-10 is fine if your not comfortable going as high as 15, but try slowing down your tempo (cadence) when lifting, ex; a full 2-3 seconds on the way up and a full 2-3 seconds on the way down. Another trick is to switch up exercises every month or two, substitute flat dumbell press for bench press, substitute dips for decline bench, substitue pull ups for lat pull downs etc, etc.... This variation will work differenlt stabilizing muscles and keep things changing. The body adapts very quickly to the stresses we put on it and that's one of the reasons growth slows down after doing one thing for too long. No offence but how many ladies have you seen that do the same aerobics class 4-5 times per week yet look no differen't than they did 12 months ago. It's because they are continually doing the same thing, they may be in shape but their not making improvements. Keep your body guessing. Last but not least, try supplimenting with 5-10g of L-glutamine, a good multi-vitamin and glucosomine. This should help you maintain that lean body mass while you lose fat. Good luck bro.
    Pete

edraven29 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up again thank you billy boy and pete235 i got it right this time

thanks guys, i use glutamine all the time now becose i find it works great, i use protein too.

I will shoot for 8-10 reps becose that was the time i add my best shape, i was smaller but add lots more definition.

Thanks again

BigWill is offline Junior Member
    If you want more definition, drop the body fat. Dont make the fatal mistake of doing high reps. Stick to low reps - 4-6 or maybe as high as 8. Remember, the top number is the MOST you can lift. You should barely be able to squeeze it out.
    Good luck.

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Hi there

Cardio is definitly a good idea! but if you feel your body doesnt respond to higher reps dont do them as you lose the body fat through the cardio your strengh gains will dimminish on there own so you may find that the weight you used to be able to do for 4 reps you can now do barley two so stick to a weight you can do for say 6 - 8 reps or whatever you feel comfortable with!

I must stress you also need to look at the exercises you are doing! For example if you want leg definition cut the squats as they pump the legs and go for smith lunges! The same with biceps do shaping exercises like cables or hammer curls which bring out definition rather than give that nice pump we all like!

Ms Figure

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Billy, you sound like you stole my routine man. Anyways, when you cut up you will probally loose alittle size, but keep the protein high and just keep your workouts the same, but add some cardio. I found that a low carb diet works wonders man. I have seen better results than I have ever seen cutting back on my carbs, and I am naturally energetic, so I find that my energy is the same. But just to get my muscles into shock I will bulk up carbs for one day, that day and the next, I go into the gym and lift everything they have. Carbs really put my body in a "shock" when I have starved my body for them, and the weight just fell off. Do what Billy said, listen to your body. I usually try to think of something that will pump me up before I get to the gym, (usually an x girlfriend who pissed me off) and that get's me pumped up to lift. Some days, I don't feel like lifting but I will push and may cut back on a few reps, but that just makes me push harder the next time I work that muscle. Cut those carbs, and up the protein, and I think you will be impressed with the results. Don't forget to add the cardio though, that will enhance and is almsot necessary when loosing fat.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Pete, I'd add some cardio. Your definition is going to be from bodyfat loss and that has little to do with reps. The rep change comes into play when your calories aren't enough to allow your body to recoup from the stress of heavy poundage. If you keep your calories the same and add some cardio that may be enough to see some bodyfat drop.

Thread Information