Thread: tricep strenght

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

tricep strenght

i tore my right shoulder and had surgury to fix it.everything is fine now but my right tri is very week. I had bult it back up but i stop lifting for about 2 months and lost alot. it seems its harder to get that arm stronger and i lose it alot faster.Right now my tri is week as hell. i'm looking for ideas to build strenght back up i didnt loose that much size so it looks normal but it is weeker than normal. i see kids 50lbs lighter than me benching more than me cause my tri is so week and that is so discuraging i just want to leave when i see that

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    first off don't worry about those kids. Lee Priest was once quoted saying that people seeing him killing himself at the gym doing lighter weight then people expect to see him doing. His response is that he didn't give a shit how much people push and how much he does, but cared more about form and focusing on the muscle groups being worked. And this goes without saying, tis not how much u lift, but the way in which u lift it. Shit i know guys how claim they curl more then me, but shit if u swing the wieght i'll curl it to. And about the tri, just abuse the damn thing till it adjusts! lol I don't really suggest that but thats what i do when my body doesn't want to keep up.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Those kids did,nt have an op on their shoulder did they?

Use strict form keep the weight light and being a BB you know that the strength will come it just takes time.Try light isolation moves to increase the strength like dumbell kickback

Billy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Play with your regular triceps routine...try varying your exercises. Select two or three of the following: triceps pressdowns, skull crushers, close grip bencg press, seated dumbell extentions (one handed and two handed), single arm cable pressdowns, overhead rope extentions and triceps kickbacks. They key is to keep working the muscle differently and as Billy and FI said focus on the muscle being worked, not the amount of wieght your using. Concentrate on the contarction and feel the muscle work.

Pete

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i did the same thing. try to focus on exercises that are stength related, as opposed to shape related. focus on close grip benches, skull crushers, overhead extensions, and pushdowns. it will be a slow process, but don't worry, you'll get your strenght back

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Nice answer Full. I couldn't agree more.. me for once agreeing.. man what the hell is the world comin to?

CYCLEON Guest
    full intensity - couldnt be said better

liek the fellas said - focus on some strngth building excercises (not just focus on tris) and FOCUS ON PROPER FORM! dont worry about the kiddies running around, they will be in awe again once you pack on that 20lbs from training properly while they were busy impressing each other in the wieght room.

thanks guys. I konw you are right i think i just needed to hear it. it just frustrating knowing what you were capible of and now your not, well for a little while atleast

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    You just remember that as long as you put the load on that tricep it will respond by gaining strength and size. Muscle has memory and you'll get it back faster than you originally earned it. Be careful not to overtrain it.

do you thin kdoing close-grip or reverse bench on a smith machine is ok. or do you think since it on the smith you can compisate more with the good arm and not work the bad as much?

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    You'd be surprised how much of a workout u can get from doing concentration exercises. Its all about focus and form. These guys u see in flex, muscle mag etc... sure they bench big weight but after years and years and years (i cannot stress years enough) of benching small weight. People don't just start at 300 + lbs, on the bench, they work their way up. And if done properly you'll gradually work your way up with maximum results.

i think the smith machine is good to use sometimes. nothing builds muscle quite like free weights though. i do like smith machine for shoulder presses, but not quite so much for bench. the natural movement of the bar during a bench press is not straight up and down.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by dane26
    . the natural movement of the bar during a bench press is not straight up and down.

What kind of freaky ass bench press do you do?!?

I'm kidding w/ you bro.

CYCLEON Guest
    I still like bench but with the HIT program Im working on I mostly use dumbell flys -that way im getting more muscles into the game - all the stabilizers as well, before I hit my guns.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Here's a little trick I used to use when trying to get lean. Grab an EZ curl bar, throw on a couple of 45's and rep out to failure with some skull crushers. When you're done don't drop the wieght simply start in on some close grip bench presses with the same bar, same wieght....no rest. Make sure you have a spotter.

Pete

i usually do that tricpep super set to begin my workout. they really blow your triceps out

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Isolation

Gixxerboy,
    Working on the machines is ok for a pump or some varaition, however, if one of your tries is showing more progress than the other, stick with the free weights preforming strick isolated movements.( Such as tricep extensions, Shampains, standing tcicep extensions ect.) Just make sure what ever you do on the left you force the weaker right side to preform the same movement. Push your stronger arm for a good workout and make the weaker one keep up. Dane 26 made some good comments about the Smithmachine. When A spotter is not available, I will use the Smith Machine as well for my shoulders, but the free weights incorprorate alot more stabilization muscles that the Smith machine will not hit apon.
    Tobey

PS. Good answer Full Intense.

Thread Information