right now this is how i train:

day1= chest
    day2=bi's tri's
    day3=back
    day4=shoulders traps
    day5=legs
    day6=rest
    day7=repeat

i used to group the muscles together, but i hit a plateau so i split them up so i could really focus and blast the crap out of them.

this is what i'm wondering though ....

is it better to do the workout routine above or the one below

day1=chest tri's abs
    day2=rest
    day3=back shoulders bi's
    day4=legs
    day5=repeat

in other words is it better to blast the crap out of your muscles once a week,(like in the first workout) so you're very sore until the next time you hit the same muscle.

or is it better to do short intense workout with not as many sets, but the same intensity but more often.(like the 2nd routine)

in other words is it better to blast your muscles once i week really hard or 2x per week short and intense but not as much volume as the other routine?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I suppose experimentation for each person is key, but what I am not a fan of is training more than 2 days in a row. I actually take a day off for every day on. I could/would never train 6 days in a row, or 4 for that matter.

~SC~

HammerCurler is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I suppose experimentation for each person is key, but what I am not a fan of is training more than 2 days in a row. I actually take a day off for every day on. I could/would never train 6 days in a row, or 4 for that matter.

~SC~
    Have you always done this? What was your split like when you first started working out (that is, what did your split look like that took you from say 150lbs to 260lbs) ? Was it always changing? Each body part once per week? Twice a week?

HC

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member

~SC~

so do you think it's better to hit the same muscle groups 2x per week with less volume, or 1x per week with more volume,but both same intensity?

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey man i used to train mon-friday with weights, recently switches over to this split

Monday-chest/Cardio
    Tues-cardio/abs
    Wed-Back/CArdio
    thursday-cardio/abs
    Friday-shoulders/tris/abs
    sat-legs/bis cardio

I feel so much better going onto the gym on weight days after having a day off, and an seeing serious gains just bye cahnging up my routine, i would reccomend day on day off routine, i think youl like it, you feel refreshed everyday, its great

insanepump621 is offline Member
    IMO when your doing chest ur sort of workin your tris and when ur doin your back your sorta workin ur bis indirectly thou. IF I were you I wud say do chest then take a day off then do tris and so forth with back and bis My split runs something like this MON-chest TUES-back WED-off Thurs-shoulders legs FRI- bis tris. Therefore my bis and tris have complete rest from workin the majors

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Good god, I would never have enough time/energy to train legs after shoulders or vice versa...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

~SC~
    As a matter of fact that's what i do right now...try to take a day off for every day on...going by how i feel. Right now i'm not going by bodyparts per week...moreso i'm looking at the bigger picture.If i train one day and next day i feel drained i rest that day.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Good god, I would never have enough time/energy to train legs after shoulders or vice versa...
    I think it's moreso mental than anything else.

I have done it in the past and would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I think it's moreso mental than anything else.

I have done it in the past and would do it again.
    How many sets for each did you do? I usually do around 12 for legs and 15 for shoulders so thats a long workout... if I were to make a new split with everything twice a week, I'd probably cut volume in half.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    How many sets for each did you do? I usually do around 12 for legs and 15 for shoulders so thats a long workout... if I were to make a new split with everything twice a week, I'd probably cut volume in half.
    When i was into volume my leg workouts were around 27 sets(and i use to train 'em twice a week)

Right now my volume is a lot lower...

But what i learnt before...during my volume years was that limitations are usually moreso mental than physical.

Usually...when you say you 'can't' do something...you subsequently cannot... not for lack of ability..rather from the mere thought of it.

So from my volume years to now... i no longer 'think'... i do

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    right now this is how i train:

day1= chest
    day2=bi's tri's
    day3=back
    day4=shoulders traps
    day5=legs
    day6=rest
    day7=repeat

i used to group the muscles together, but i hit a plateau so i split them up so i could really focus and blast the crap out of them.

this is what i'm wondering though ....

is it better to do the workout routine above or the one below

day1=chest tri's abs
    day2=rest
    day3=back shoulders bi's
    day4=legs
    day5=repeat

in other words is it better to blast the crap out of your muscles once a week,(like in the first workout) so you're very sore until the next time you hit the same muscle.

or is it better to do short intense workout with not as many sets, but the same intensity but more often.(like the 2nd routine)

in other words is it better to blast your muscles once i week really hard or 2x per week short and intense but not as much volume as the other routine?
    Personally, if you are going to be "blasting the crap out of em". i myself would most def. not do the one on top. imo, hte first 4 days are just bad newsd, certain muscles will have a disturbed recovery. what i dont like about the bottem is you got shoulders and back paired together which wouldnt be bad if the volume is nice and low. and then, if you are deadlifting on back day, which imo is the best back builder, squatting wont be optimal the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    When i was into volume my leg workouts were around 27 sets(and i use to train 'em twice a week)

Right now my volume is a lot lower...

But what i learnt before...during my volume years was that limitations are usually moreso mental than physical.

Usually...when you say you 'can't' do something...you subsequently cannot... not for lack of ability..rather from the mere thought of it.

So from my volume years to now... i no longer 'think'... i do
    Thats definately something to think about... Thanks bro

np

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    neither one looks good

Thread Information