BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

Slow down...IS IT THAT IMPORTANT

I have been trying to make sure that on the majority of lifts, i do two seconds on the way down. What do you all think of this--what are the pro's cons..

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    I have been trying to make sure that on the majority of lifts, i do two seconds on the way down. What do you all think of this--what are the pro's cons..

People who only think about things in terms of weight will think that because he is doing a weight 8 times in an explosive manner, and you are moving the same weight 6-7 times with a 0-1-0-2 cadence, that you are weaker.

You're adding time under tension to your set. If you don't care about numbers, go for it. I suggest it if for only to prevent injuries.

The eccentric portion of the lift is where the majority of hypertrophy is attributed to.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 04-06-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    The eccentric portion of the lift is where the majority of hypertrophy is attributed to.

i agree.

studies show how explosive (& controlled) motions/reps are just as beneficial if not more, esp if your doing HIT

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    You guys got here first....ditto

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe it is common thought that muscles are 20-30% stronger on the eccentric part of a lift...thus a too-fast negative is thought of as a waste of this potential situation

Swellin Guest
    I love adding a 2-3 second negative to each rep. When I fail, I have the spotter lift the weight and I get an 8 second negative.

This is all a part of DC training. However, it is just one such component.

CastorTroy is offline Junior Member
    I do a 2-3 second negative as well as negative till failure on the last rep.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Interesting, am I the only one here who is disagreeing? If one believes time under tension then both the concentric & negative will have good/simular results. Studies have shown blood lactate levels were not significantly different from super slow methods vs. normal. But Electromyographic(EMG) activity from benching showed activity of the pectoralis major, triceps brachii was SIGNIFICANTLY less then traditional lifting heavy normal cadence. This was true on all phases of the lift from beginning to end indicating less muscle fiber involvement. Why may this be true? During super slow you need to drop your weight lifted for one. Secondly, muscles respond with shock. Slow training to me is a complete waste of valuable time. By the way my response is for super slow training methods NOT the traditional 1-2 cadences . My 2c
    Last edited by bluethunder; 04-07-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Thread Information