heaven is offline New Member

Running vs Walking cardio???

Just a quick question about cardio.....I'm not necessarily worried about losing muscle mass........I know that to retain muscle mass and lose fat it is better to do 45 min of cardio at 65-75% of Max heart rate. My question is, if your not concerned with losing muscle mass, woudl you burn more fat by just running at a fast past, higher than your target heart rate, for 30-45 minutes?? Yes I know you will also use muscle as energy source but wouldnt you also use fat too?? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank You!

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    NO! you'd loose more muscle than fat!

Aboot is offline Banned
    Not really. You'll simply be switching over to muscle for fuel in addition to fat. There may be slightly more fat burning, but you are better off keeping that muscle, as it helps to speed your metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Not really. You'll simply be switching over to muscle for fuel in addition to fat. There may be slightly more fat burning, but you are better off keeping that muscle, as it helps to speed your metabolism.
    i read a study that showed that when doing cardio no matter what % you are breaking down some muscle no matter what, but if cardio is performed in the "target heart rate zone" you spare alot more than you would at a higher %!

the only way that cardio in the high heart rate zones is effective is with quick intense cardio sessions to speed your metabolism throughout the day! muscle is spared when using this because the cardio is too short to swtich over to using msucle tissue as an energy source but long enough to stimulate an increase in metabolism!

Quote Originally Posted by heaven
    Just a quick question about cardio.....I'm not necessarily worried about losing muscle mass........I know that to retain muscle mass and lose fat it is better to do 45 min of cardio at 65-75% of Max heart rate. My question is, if your not concerned with losing muscle mass, woudl you burn more fat by just running at a fast past, higher than your target heart rate, for 30-45 minutes?? Yes I know you will also use muscle as energy source but wouldnt you also use fat too?? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank You!

might want to check out max-ot cardio, those guys do it with success, ive never tried tho, only read about it but not really in depth!

Thread Information