Thread: overtaining

anabolicmyo is offline Junior Member

Unhappy overtaining

Ive been lifting for about 2 years none stop avg. about 6 days a week 2 hrs. per day my lifting buddy has decided to take a more scientifc approach as in only 3-4 days a week and no longer then 1.25 hrs. I dont feel overtrained plus Im on a pretty big stack
    is there any benefit to more rest time?you would think the harder you push the more your body has to adapt the more gains youd make but I hear different from every one else.anybody with longer experience been able to play around with intensity levels
    and notice a physical change?

-anabolicmyo

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    your body grows when you rest , because everybody is different
    not everyone will be able to train 6 days a week and still see gains, i really dont know of anyone looking to put on size who lifts
    more then 4 days a week, from that i know and have seen it seems to be the norm to lift only 3 days while trying to put on size. actually my 3 day a week bulking workout is more intense then my 4 day a week cutting workout or so it feel that way

overtraining effects more than just your performance in the gym
    theres sleep, moods, etc... this article will cover the importance of rest:

"If sufficient rest is not included in a training program then regeneration cannot occur and performance plateaus. If this imbalance between excess training and inadequate rest persists then performance will decline. Overtraining can best be defined as the state where the athlete has been repeatedly stressed by training to the point where rest is no longer adequate to allow for recovery. The "overtraining syndrome" is the name given to the collection of emotional, behavioral, and physical symptoms due to overtraining that has persisted for weeks to months. Athletes and coaches also know it as "burnout" or "staleness." This is different from the day to day variation in performance and post exercise tiredness that is common in conditioned athletes. Overtraining is marked by cumulative exhaustion that persists even after recovery periods.

The most common symptom is fatigue. This may limit workouts and may be present at rest. The athlete may also become moody, easily irritated, have altered sleep patterns, become depressed, or lose the competitive desire and enthusiasm for the sport. Some will report decreased appetite and weight loss. Physical symptoms include persistent muscular soreness, increased frequency of viral illnesses, and increased incidence of injuries. "
    --http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html

Hope this helped bro

DD

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I am not an expert but I think 6 days a week would be ok if you are just working one body part (group-shoulder/traps) per day, taking a day off and then starting over. Plus throw in abs in addition 2-3 times a week. I couldn't see not over training doing two body parts per day for 2hrs, six days a week. Not sure if you are including cardio in that time period.

I am doing 1 part per day, 5 days on, one off. I keep it anywhere from 55min to 1:20 minutes. And I do cardio in the mornings 3 days a week for 30 minutes.

Everyones goals are different, but this is working for my goals of maintianing body fat and increasing strength,with slight size gains.

Maybe you could elaborate on your routine, goals and diet. Then you should get some feedback from people that have done what you are trying to do..
    Last edited by scottp999; 04-19-2002 at 08:33 AM.

anabolicmyo is offline Junior Member
    you both have great insight but ya now see the problem deciding between overtaining and growth. as far as i can tell im not feeling fatigued though after a day of rest i do lift harder, my intensity does not change.right now some basic stats im 5'6" 202 about 15%, taking D,dec,nolv stack switching into a dec,clen ,tren , and win stack i would like to hit 215lbs. and around 10% by july im eating around 5000 cals. per day doing cardio 3x week @ 20 min
    and lifting only 1 or 2 myo groups a day (depending on myo size)
    to an extreme failure. I dont feel a big burn out but relativley speaking is taking more time off going to give me more bang for the buck?or does it really depend on the individual?

-anabolicmyo
    thanks for the feedback

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i would still stick w/ 3 days on and more rest

because your taking "D,dec,nolv stack switching into a dec,clen ,tren " try posting this in the steroid question section
    you will probably get more responses from ppl who have used AS

I have not done any AS so i cant be 100% sure

DD

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Same here, no experience with AS so I can't relate to the performance gains and recovery times.

Thread Information