A_Nice is offline Associate Member

LATS --- help...

Well, I think the one stubborn body part I have is lats. Im doing tons of wide grip chins, and it feels like its working the back of my shoulder blades instead of the long wing like lats on the side.

What does anyone think this could be?

At typical back day is :

4 sets Wide grip chins

4 sets t bar rows

4 sets dumbell raises

4 sets wide grip seated rows

My back feels like its growing and getting stronger, id just like to feel it more in my lat area... need those wings .. someone help me !

Mounts is offline New Member
    try the lateral raise machine
    also (i dont know what its called) take a dumbell and lay on a bench and take the weight with your arms straight and take it behind your head, then raise it back up. -hard to explain, if anyone knows what i'm talkin about and what its called please share.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    Mounts I think you are referring to the dumbell pullover. A_Nice I see that you do wide grip on most everything, my advice is to change to a close grip on at least one of your exercises. A wide grip cuts down on your range of motion and thus does not stimulate as many muscle fibers. I think a common misconception is that the wider you hold your hands the wider your back will turn out, while just the opposite is true. Look at one of the best backs of all time, Dorian Yates, every back workout that I've seen of his included at LEAST one close grip exercise wether it be pulldowns or rows.

jbrand is offline Member

Re: LATS --- help...

Originally posted by A_Nice
    Well, I think the one stubborn body part I have is lats. Im doing tons of wide grip chins, and it feels like its working the back of my shoulder blades instead of the long wing like lats on the side.

What does anyone think this could be?

At typical back day is :

4 sets Wide grip chins

4 sets t bar rows

4 sets dumbell raises

4 sets wide grip seated rows

My back feels like its growing and getting stronger, id just like to feel it more in my lat area... need those wings .. someone help me !
    I can't stress the importance of the "mind-muscle connection" when working out your lats. I hate using that term I fucking feel like Bill Phillips but it seems to be the terminology used nowadays.

It may be necessary to cut back on your weights to really "feel" the exercise but it will be well worth it. Control the eccentric portion of the lifts, you should feel the release directly from your lats. Try cutting back on volume at first; stick to two fundamental exercises (I suggest pullups and a rowing movement) and make sure you are controlling the movements completely with your lats.

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    Yea devils, ive have been thinking that myself, and hoping someone would say that.

When I look in the mirror, i dont think my lats are stimulated as much with wide grip exercises, I dont know why. The day after my back day, what usually hurts is the top and middle of my back around the shoulder blades area and down.. I feel like im hitting the area that are making my back THICK and more developed when I want to get it WIDE as well.

Whats funny is, everything I read has said WIDE GRIP chins are is what makes your back wide. I'm going to experiment one day and go for some close grip excerises.. Ive tryed to mimic the motion in the mirror and i can actually feel my lats working throughout the exercise.

I'll let u know what happens.. If anyone else has any tricks are advice on how to get width... Id appreciate it, thanks

jonesmeister is offline Junior Member
    i have quite a thick back and not as wide as i would like but this is my routine and it seems to be working for me

this is the back routine i have been using and it feels good all over my back middle/and lats

wide grip pull downs (four sets) 16/12/10/8 reps
    bent over rows (4sets) 12/10/8/6 reps
    low rows/close grip rows (3 sets) 12/10/8 reps
    machine lat pull downs (3sets) 10/8/6

i always concentrate on the muscles working as im doing the exercise .

Thread Information