TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

weight/rep consistency

if i am doing a workout where i do 4 sets of about 6-8 reps to failure with 30-60 secs in between each set am i suppose to be able to keep the weight the same and still get the same amount of reps in? cause when im workin out this doesnt happen and i feel like i need to lower the weight to get the same amount of reps.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Have more rest between sets (You have to recover)IE 2 mins..JMO..

NightOp is offline Member
    Khull, you are doing whats called "drop sets"... And yes with that short a rest (30-60 secs) you should be forced to drop weight each set if you are going to positive failure (isometric). I goto positive failure as well and even with a 2 min rest I often have to drop 5-10 pounds on my next set.

Shorter rests burn more calories and often increase the "pump". You could increase the rest to more like 2mins like bexsome suggested, or you can cycle your rest periods... say two weeks with a 1 min rest, two weeks at 2 min rest between sets..., etc.. You just gotta find what works for you.

Also, if you are having to drop alot of weight each set and would like to be able to handle more weight, you can try a few weeks of cumulative fatigue training sets. Basically all you do is pick a weight you can get 4 sets of 10 with (for example) but will not fail until the last rep or two on the 4th set... this is not near as intense as positive failure reps, but it gives your body a good break and can keep it from adapting to your previous routine.

Then you can go back to your positive failure drop sets like you are doing now and you will most likely find your endurance and weight is up and you will prolly have to drop less weight on each set than you did when you first began all this.

jbrand is offline Member

Re: weight/rep consistency

Originally posted by Khull_Khuum
    if i am doing a workout where i do 4 sets of about 6-8 reps to failure with 30-60 secs in between each set am i suppose to be able to keep the weight the same and still get the same amount of reps in? cause when im workin out this doesnt happen and i feel like i need to lower the weight to get the same amount of reps.
    that is totally dependant on your muscle fiber make-up. if you are primarily slow twitch, you will be able to stick around the same rep range in proceeding sets. if you are fast twitch your rep-range might drop considerably in proceeding sets. in fact, being primarily fast-twitch, I find it more productive to do less sets per exercise (yet maintaining volume by adding additional exercises).

Thread Information