PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator

Who here uses a belt?

Anyone here use a belt, I need to fucking get one, I'm sick and tired of all this heavy squatting and shit, without a belt. I'm gettin one this weekend, so next week it won't feel like someone punched me in my lower back.

I'm only gonna use them for heavy sets though, because It's better for you to use your own torso to support itself. I see these guys doing like preacher curls, and working theior forearms wearing belts. Oh...ok don't break your back doing wrist curls dickhead.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Who here uses a belt?

Originally posted by PaPaPumP

I'm only gonna use them for heavy sets though, because It's better for you to use your own torso to support itself.
    Good call PapaPump...The only thing I ever use a belt for is heavy squatting, and since I don't do heavy squats very often I rarely use a belt. If you depend on the belt for support, all the time, you will become dependant on it.

Pete

Lush is offline Associate Member
    Don't use a belt personally.

I think they may help you keep good form- but you can maintian proper form without.

I actually had alot of lower back pain when i started doing squats and deadlifts. Thought I might need a belt but after a few weeks the lower back strengthened right up (dead lifts rock!) and now they don't hurt. So I don't think a belt is really required.

Of course- i don't do huge weight with squats so a belt might help you out PaPaPimp- but I'd recommend strengthening with dead lifts first. Use a belt as a last resource IMO.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    I use a weight belt on leg day, when I am doing squats.

I like the big pack-of-hotdogs-on-the-back-of-the-neck power lifter types that put on their weight belt to drink a protein shake...

Funny shit!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    only when i squat.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I always use one for heavy leg lifting. I was told its not just for your back, but also to keep you intestines from rupturing, from the strain. I think it was intestines, something inside there.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I,m using a belt for everything at the moment but I am getting over a back injury.I normally use a belt for Squats,Flat Bench Press,Deadlift

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I only use a belt for heavy sets

of

Deadlifts
    Shrugs
    BB Rows
    squats
    Leg Press

and if real heavy

EZ bar curls
    Lateral raises

Shite that sounds like its never off LOL. But I only wear it when essential. Otherwise your abs and lower back will become a weak link.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I always use a belt .... Of course it depends on what i am doing . but When I go HEAVY I dont take it on and off . I feel that its a very useful tool in a safe workout.... Many jobs insist on back support with very light lifting .. WE ARE NOT LIFTING LIGHT R WE ...? hehe I find it usefull to find a very comfortable belt however. Otherwise wearing it will be a chore... Certain things I dont rely on ... Wrist straps ( I think it is important to keep hand strength up with the weight your lifting. Knee wraps ( I use only on last set if at all ... Form is the most crucial . I will also use them if my knee has any pain or just plain doesnt feel 100%. how many here have a few days a year where for some reason you just cant walk so good due to a very sore knee to which you were trying to figure out what you did to it ..hehe
    good luck on your training ...

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    I am ANTI-Belt

SolidRock is offline Junior Member
    I have never used a bel exept for once in Jr. High

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I like most of you here use a belt for heavy squats. the belt I believe makes sure your form and posture is correct.

How much they cost roughly, I'm lonq on cash.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    For what it's worth here is my take on belts. Any time you use a belt for safety (squats, heavy deadlifts, heavy cleans etc. the belt will support your back. However, when you use a belt on other exercises where your back is a support muscle then you take part of the stabilization effect away and can accually create a weak link. Remember that if a belt is needed for example doing heavy curls then the weight is too heavy. Never sacrifice form for weight.

Shite that sounds like its never off LOL. But I only wear it when essential. Otherwise your abs and lower back will become a weak link .
    Another Ann Robinson fan

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Belts

I personlly never use a belt. I do not believe in them. YOu are worried about back injuries while sqyatting (and you should be) And you want to squat heavy, you need to work put on a Smith Machine. The Weight ids on a track tha will not allow alot of the sway while squatting which will result in back injury. Most back injuries accur during squats when an Indivual leans to far foreward thus putting undo strain on their back.
    Ok, So your not to keen on working out on a Smithmachine or your gym does not have one. Then do the squats but ONLY with the aid of a good spotter. The spooter should always look at your posture while lifting. If you begin to lean forward themn he needs to pull you back straight up. Anyway. thats my take on belts. I'm still wondering why some guys think that you have to have a belt on to sit down at a curl machine?

Tobey

I've squatted heavy on both Smith and free weight, buy I personally feel the smith can in some instances be damaging in its self. There is a natural plane of movement when perfroming the squat, when using the smith machine there is a tendancy for the lower back to move out from under the bar so infact your body is not straight under the bar as it should be. I also feel with the rigid bar the hips and waist can move giving you a feeling of instability.

This is all dependant on how much you are lifting, but I would recommend front squat, lunges and lighter session on the smtih, but if you are going heavy use a free bar and a belt, just makes sense in the long run.

M2c

CYCLEON Guest
    only thing a belt is good for IMO is whipping the butt of the scrawny little geeks who keep standing in front of the squat racks, admiring themselfs while getting in the way of people who hafta go through their workout in a short time period!!!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I take from your comments Cyc you don,t like belts?? LOL

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Got to use a belt on those 1000lb calf raises or your spine can split...and when you're squatin 500 or so you've got to think "Safety".

Re: Belts

Originally posted by Tobey
    I'm still wondering why some guys think that you have to have a belt on to sit down at a curl machine?

Tobey
    Ohh...that's easy, it's because they're so accustomed to wearing their belt, it's just a reflex, like putting on their diapers.

Thread Information