Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member

Is there anything I can do

Hey fellas! I usually weight lift 5 days a week and I train in Muay Thai 4 days a week. I lift in the mornings, and I train for like 1 1/2 to 2 hours at night. The problem is that when I go in to Thai I am so damn sore and tired I can't train at 100% more like 60%. I am getting real pissed of at this but I can't figure out anything I can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Only thing I can suggest, that is a surefire plan is...what do you want more?

Would you be willing to take some time off from MT to put some muscle on, or would you rather fight at the same weight...and just maintain? This is tough bro, it sucks...hopefully JJ will stop by and throw his two ccs in. He's a grappler, he lifts, he knows ow to prioritize things like this.

Possibly PM him.

NightOp is offline Member
    Yep... JJ would be the one to talk to as PaPaPump said.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I live in Bangkok and I have a few friends who train in Muay Thai. In fact, the gym I go to is part of a martial arts center.

Most of them are not big into weightlifting, they worry about size slowing them down. Usually I see them in the gym AFTER their MT workout to work on a few specific body parts.

Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member
    Who is this JJ guy I need to talk to I can seem to find him! Can some one send him to me or tell him to go here or tell me how to find him! Thanks bro's!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Juice Junkie - Anabolic Forum Moderator

Click on the Anabolic Review Logo in the top left of this screen, then find his name on the top of the list where the moderators names are.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I studied Muay Thai for 6 years, and if you are a fighter like I was, then we only did weights to increase strength and muscle tone. My instructor used to always ask us why you never see a "big" MT fighter? The fact is, the bigger you are the slower you are. And my instructor believed in speed. We would light weight train on days that we would have little or no practice. We would mostly do high reps, but usually one set would consist of strength and "Maxing out". As soon as we got done working out though we would hit the training, running, sparing, and so forth. So my advice is like Pappa said, figure out which one is more important, if you were like me at that time in my life, I lived, breathed and sh?t MT. I loved it. Now, I am too old, and just stick to the weights, and just be a slow poke.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Sicillian, how old are you?

I hear you about there not being any 'big' Muay Thai fighters. Like I said before, I live in Bangkok and I see Muay Thai mathces all the time (they are everywhere.)

I am a big (240+ lbs) guy, but I get leary about mixing it up with a scrawny, 100 lb, 15 year old Thai kid--you never know if he's a Muay Thai boxer! If he is and he's any good, he could easily kick my ass seven-days from Sunday!

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    why not move your split to a 3 day ? do weights on the days you don't train muay thai, 4 + 3 = 7 days better off having 3 great workouts a week than 5 lack luster ones ,i find rest is always looked at last when building a workout plan, plan your rest times in the same way you plan your reps and sets,

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    yo man this is my 2 cents, I have no clue about Muy Tai or anything. I am tooo lazy to learn a martial arts. Like Sicilian said slow pokes. I just wanted to say about being tired, make sure you eat good. Carbs calories, whatever it is to give you energy eat ALOT of it. Like i said i know nothing about Muy Tai, but you are proabaly buring alot of fuel. So make sure you eat good. MAyeb see about energy pilss? but i don't know about that. good luck

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    You're most likely tired and sore because you're overtraining. What these guys are saying is smart. You'll have to cut something back, or eat better and sleep more. Even then you may not be able to recover and if not, then in addition to your hindering your progress in both sports, your immune system will suffer.

Beat Down Wrinkles is offline New Member

hmm.

Kas,
    Before I had a pretty horrible accident I used to do what you are doing now. I studied Korean Tae kwon Do for 8 years, then converted over to Muay Thai 4 days a week and Silat 2 days a week. (Silat is very easy on the body. Not a whole lot of running or kicking or anything.) At the time I was lifting in the mornings and running and training at night. One day we had two very large bodybuilders pick up Muay Thai and they started attending regularly. They were there for 3 years with me and they never seemed to dwindle in size and their speed was comparable. What they lacked in speed they made up for in size. They both said they lifted in split cycles. For two weeks they lifted 3 days a week and MT for 4, and the other two weeks they Trained MT for 3 and lifted for 4. It never seemed to hinder them and man, they hit like a freight train. I know speed and form are very important but when they had both plus their size they were very effective. I think it is very possible fo ryou to do something similar without seeing much of a drop off in either realm. Just my humble advice. On a side note, our instructor Vut Kamnark used to lift only 2 to 3 days a week but he still had legs that looked like a tree trunk. Some people are just blessed.

Thread Information