jeffsz28 is offline Associate Member

kinda lagging on chest lately

this is the second week it seems like my body/mind is board maybe with my chest route order. no matter what if i don't do flat bench first i can't lift as much weight if i do another chest exercise first before it. does it mean anything if i switch up the order i do my chest workout and i can't lift as much on flat bench not doing it first in order?

this is how i start
    flat
    decline
    incline
    dips
    machine press
    flys

Flexor is offline Banned
    I'd do dips after the flat bench and then do incline bench, dropping decline bench, because...

Don't underestimate the usefulness of dips in encouraging MASSIVE growth in the sternal pec (bottom). Along with the incline for the clavicular and the flat for both muscles that is good.

The machine press is probably not strictly necessary, but flyes is a good idea. You want to do Loaded Passive Stretching at the bottom of each rep (hold the weight out for a 1 or 2 count, feeling the stretch) to expand the muscle fasciae to create an unbelievable pump. Its a little difficult to get a peak contraction with flyes because when the weight is above your elbows, squeezing your chest together is not moving the weight.

So:

3 x Flat bench 8 reps (to failure)
    4 x Dips 8 reps (elbows flared out - to failure)
    3 x Incline bench 8 reps (to failure)
    3 x Flyes 10 reps (to failure)

Now do an isometric chest hug to squeeze even more blood into your bloated chest. Your chest will be toast.

13 sets is enough to failure with such high intensity and won't lead to overtraining. Do this for two weeks, then do dumbells for two weeks. Or you can mix dumbells and barbell up in the session. Dumbells can help power through a plateau because they force recruitment of new fibres.
    Last edited by Flexor; 09-21-2005 at 07:15 AM.

aight cool thanks for the info, so you still think i should start with flat bench first since its the most weight i use,except for the chest machine.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Usually you would want to do your most powerful movements first which would be the flat bench. However its not necessarily a bad thing doing another heavy exercise first, because dips for example are very beneficial and you will be able to use more weight than usual doing them first.

E.g. if you did some dumbell curls after barbell curls you wouldn't be able to use as much weight for them as if you did dumbells first. But that doesn't stop the dumbells having the positive effect.

You could just change your grip slightly on flat bench, or emphasise the eccentric portion to help change it around. I'd stick with flat bench first then dips and incline because that is enough of a change considering you were doing dips after all the benching.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    All good info flexor, nice!!!

I just wanted to add that everyone should be careful when performing dips to failure. Sometimes form is difficult to keep what dipping down. That sometimes leads to improper scapular contraction and doing less chest and more arms. That was a great key that you put in when you said elbows out. Failure on a bench is almost always much safer b/c you have the back support.

Once again, good info!!

okay guys thanks for all the help, yeah i keep my elbows out and i also lean kinda forward so my chest works and not my arms and i never feel my arms getting the workout. just my chest all jacked up

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova16
    All good info flexor, nice!!!

I just wanted to add that everyone should be careful when performing dips to failure. Sometimes form is difficult to keep what dipping down. That sometimes leads to improper scapular contraction and doing less chest and more arms. That was a great key that you put in when you said elbows out. Failure on a bench is almost always much safer b/c you have the back support.

Once again, good info!!
    Cheers. Its true what you say, it is a lot less stable. Scrap the thing to failure and stop 2 before

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsz28
    okay guys thanks for all the help, yeah i keep my elbows out and i also lean kinda forward so my chest works and not my arms and i never feel my arms getting the workout. just my chest all jacked up
    Yeah thats the best way, then its a chest dip rather than a tricep dip. Nice

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Keep up the great comments Flexor!!

Jeff, best of luck buddy!!!! Keep us informed on your progress.

Cotton is offline New Member
    Good info Flexor. jeffsz28 try switching to incline first. Don't worry about how much weight you can move concentrate on working the muscle. I will alternate between incline first or flat each week. Rotating dumbbells and barbell.

thanks guys i will let you'll know what happens

Thread Information