xenithon is offline Member

Building Relaxed Bicep Size

Hi there guys,

I have a problem:

my biceps don't grow too much. I have changed my routine around and have seen some good results. the problem is that the bicep size is pretty much ONLY when flexed/half flexed. Sorta, when my elbow is half bent you start seeing good size, but when walking around in t-shirt/vest and the arm is hanging the bicep hasn't showm much if any change. I think the problem is that the front of the bicep ie. where it is attached to the forearms, the bicep is not too large, but It's built more toward tha back (i figure this cause when I flex i have a decent peak but its more toward the shoulder side than the dorearm side). i just wanna know if there are any exercises you may recommend to build up the front of the bicep, or to build the non-flexed size??

thanks for the help!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    One armed Preacher Curls

hi there,

just got 2 questions please:

1. should i use the seated preacher bench or the standing one?
    2. should i use the angled side of the preacher bench or the vertical side?

thanks for the help!

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hey!

hammer curls!!!!!!!!that little bi and elbow connector area you are talking about....brachiallis.strengthen that through hammer and you will have a thick bi and more strength in your curling movements.hammer curls!!! do them and thank me later.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Yes...hammer curls... just like PBNYC said. Just make sure to use strict form...DO NOT swing the wieght up.

Pete

hi there,

i also thought about doing hammers. i did it this week actually the thing is when I do it my forearms really overwork and i dunno how to overcome it. with standard barbell/dumbell i can 'drop' my wrist so as to cancel any interference from the forearms, any ideas how to stop the forearms working on hammers?? also, should i do it seated or standing?

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Try using wrist straps...yes the same ones you use for back. I used them when I was rehabing after my wrist surgery.

Pete

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hmmmm

you could lower the weight. alot of people "dig"their feet into the floor to force weight and cheat, addign stress to less reinforced ancilliary muscles and connectors.i alternate betwenn seated and standing.make it a new staple of your bi trainign and give it time, especially if you are natural or not very lean, which i'm guessing you are or are not respectively, if you don't have that pumped look 24/7 in a relaxed state.works wonders for thickness of the bicep and strengthening the brachiallis will improve your gains in other excercises as well

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    bump on the hammer curls

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Hammer curls will work but i find that hammering on my meat works as well too! jk LOL

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    is that what you mean by full intensity?

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator

Dane&F.I.

LMAO!!!!HAHAHA

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    OH my I can't believe Full said that.... man the chit that folks say on dis board..

sp33dg33k is offline Member
    LOL

MarkyMark is offline Member
    This could be a question as to genetics as well ... like a high calf ... I know many with triceps that seem to start in the middle of the elbow and shoulder .
    If this isn't a genetic thing, then hammers will target the areas in question . I would also suggest using negetives in a barbell preacher curl. good luck

thanks for the help! i will definitely give those a go. just to ask ya MarkyMark, what are negatives?? I'm sure I know what it is I just never heard it being called that, so please elaborate. thanks!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Chin ups and seated curls

I'll have to admit that hammers curls would have been my first choice to mention, but since they already have, try chin ups and especially seated curls using dumbells.
    IC

Full Intense- Be careful, Your gonna go blind
    Last edited by Tobey; 10-13-2001 at 04:43 PM.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Let's not forget that the tricept makes the bicept and arm look bigger, after all the tricept is actually bigger than the bicept. I heard one body builder tell me that a bicept does not good without a tricept, in fact, it will actually make the bicept look bigger in some cases. Don't neglect the ole tricept.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by dane26
    is that what you mean by full intensity?
    Damn right!

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Sorry for the wait on your question .... Negatives are assisted .... You will use a weight slightly heavier than you can normally lift. this weight will be assisted quickly to the top of the movement and you will use your strength to slowly allow the bar to go to the relaxed position ... You can use these for biceps in several excercises ... My faves are straight barbell curl and at the end of my bicep program ( when I do these ) preacher curls ( curl bar ) negatives .... Do not do negatives every workout either ... just add them in once and a while... or around half the time ...check em out .... good luck

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Most one arm exercises can be self assisted. Try these and see if you can elogate the bicep without straining your forearms. But remember if you have weak forearms and wrists you're at a higher risk for elbow tendonitis and those epicondyle tendons heal very slowely.

1 arm preacher (like Papapump said)
    Concentration curls (both supinated and hammer style)
    1 arm cable hammer curl.

Focus on form and a good squeeze at the top of each movement. Pause and stretch at the bottom as well.

thanks for all the help guys!

i did some hammers in my previus workout - i attached the straps i normally use for eg. traps/deadlifts to the dumbells and almost totaly relaxed the forearm. (someone at the gym told me to use straps - a big help to cut out forearms taking over). after that i really felt the ends of my bicep pumped - exactly what i need i am gonna try the cable hammers using the rope this week - i have heard that to be much more effective than normal hammers. dumbbells101 - in my case I have the opposite problem - my forearms are too big and strong they take over and get real pumped thus taking away from my beiceps. thats why i am now lowering weight, using straps and 'limp wrist' form to cut them out of the equation and get my bis really pumped.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Keep trying bro, you'll figure what works best for you're needs before long that's certain. But if your forearms are that dominant, you may want to supinate more trying to focus on the outer head of the bicep. Good luck

big_C is offline Member
    yep...hammer curls, I ALWAY'S work in hammers

delroid is offline Junior Member
    Hammer curls on preacher, use a dumbell in each hand at the same time and hold them together, then curl away, did wonders for me.

Kreatine_Kid is offline Junior Member
    For a real arm killer that should pump all areas of the arm with blood like crazy, go for a super set!!!

Get a set of medium weight (for you) dumbells and then go over to a tricep rope pull down station.

Go medium weight on the tricep rope pull downs and at the bottom each movement pull the rope down slowly then twist your wrist so the palms point out for 2 seconds then repeat for 10 reps.

Then immediatley pick up the dumbells then crank out 10 or more slow hammer curls with a squeeze at the top of each curl.

Believe me, this will make you feel like the skin around your whole arm is about to explode! Its amazing as you working both parts of the arm inderpendantly!

Remeber though the bicep and tricep are small muscles in comparison to the rest of the body so there is no need to go heavy on this! Leave the ego at the door and let the stress on the muscle be your guide!

GQplaya is offline Associate Member
    ok this thread is quite old anybody realize that

Thread Information