Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member

Forearms hurt during bicep curl

Does anyone else's bottom side of their forearms hurt like hell when they do bicep curls?

Mine hurt so bad that when I set the weight down, I can't move my arms for a few seconds without excruciating pain.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    Does anyone else's bottom side of their forearms hurt like hell when they do bicep curls?

Mine hurt so bad that when I set the weight down, I can't move my arms for a few seconds without excruciating pain.
    Yeah! Especially putting the weight down, I get a spasm which lasts for a second or two and then the pain subsides. I think its especially bad with barbell curls because your forearms are forced into fully rotating unlike with an EZ curl bar. Maybe its the connective tissue (maybe bone??) in that region which gets stretched and put under a lot of tension.

Here's a tip though, when you put the weight down release your grip very slowly over about 3 seconds and there is less pain!!! Dumbells are slightly kinder. If I just keep curling eventually my forearms will toughen up, I hope.

thanks

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    maybe the beginning of an inflammation in ur forearms?

HULKBOY is offline Member
    mine do that too it weird when i when i curl heavy w/bb i tried switching to the ez bar and it still hurt(not as bad) So i laid off direct bicep exercises since a couple months ago and they seem to be getting all the workout they need when i hit a heavy ass back day. but this guy at the gym had similar problem and started using straps w/his bicep lifts he said the pain went away cause he didnt have to grip as tight. anyway food for thought ya might give it a try if you dont want to drop the bicep lifts for a while.

Thanks bro

wrx
    wrx is offline Associate Member
    I have that shit to!!!!
    but only when i do it with burbell or W
    with dumbells i dont have that feeling

AUhunter5 is offline New Member
    Hells yeah bro, I know exactly what you're talking about, hurts like hell, take it easy on the curl for about a week and it will get better

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Use some wrist wraps, I used to have the problem, still do, but much less now that I've started using wrist wraps. I asked a trainer about it once and he said that I should do the curls with my wrist slightly hyperextended to decrease the angle on the forearms

Quote Originally Posted by Billyspt4
    Use some wrist wraps, I used to have the problem, still do, but much less now that I've started using wrist wraps. I asked a trainer about it once and he said that I should do the curls with my wrist slightly hyperextended to decrease the angle on the forearms

yea thats what i heard staps make all the differance. but still i would give it more than a week IMO cause ya dont wanna strain your wrist man.

The pain won't completely go away, but the wraps will help. I'm trying to remember exactly what it's called, but I can't remember. Really what it is, it's the sheath that connects the wrist/forearm/hand all together that gets micro tears in it and that is what's causing the pain.

Well hopefully the pain won't progress

Shouldn't, mine cut down with wraps, I'd highly recommend them to anyone with this pain

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    I saw a post like this one, where someone said they took hgh, and the pain stopped.
    I get that too and i enjoy it, but maybe its just stress on the ligaments or the bones.... People will low test levels get small cracks in their bones that dont heal, so hormone therapy is done... Maybe you could try some light foreare workouts and wrist workouts before you do your curls, get some blood going maybe?
    As for the hgh, dunno much about it, thats what i read.

Or maybe nervs are getting compressed..?

kwozza is offline Junior Member
    I had the same problem about 12 months ago. Mine turned out to be strained wrist tendon which runs down the "little finger" side of your wrist. I was told not to do biceps at all for a couple of weeks but if I HAD to do them, to use one of the (crappy) bicep machines and to have an open hand.

The problem is when you (in my case) grip the bar real tightly with a supinated wrist, it puts lots of strain on the tendon.

So basically go to a bicep machine, position the palms of your hands as though you were going to grip the bar but keep them open and curl that way. It still hurts a little but you are not putting as much strain on the tendon.

Mine went away in about 4-6 weeks with a little bit of help from a chiropractor friend of mine.

Once the pain has just about gone, start doing some wrist curls with a barbel to strengthen the area. Wrist and shoulder tendons are injured so easily, I work them every week and haven't had any problems since.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    dont grip the bar so hard...
    stretch it out..
    massage it ..
    and you should be fine..

TCEL300 is offline Member
    stretch ur 4arms before....grab the 20lbs db's and move them around...it helps me loosen my 4arms up

bigJJ is offline Member
    I get that occasionally. I got a deep tissue massage recently and told the lady about the pain. She worked on the forearm muscles a bit and it certainly helped.

KDRLINUS is offline Associate Member
    i have had incredible amounts of pain in my forearms for about 10 months now... i take glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, glucoa cream, ect.....no response.....

i have lightened up on the weights and no response, i stopped doing ez bar curls and no response, now it hurts doind dumbells as well... every once in a while it goes away for a few weeks and then comes back.

the pain is located about halfway between my elbow and wrist, and is right alond the edge of the bone......i cant figure out what it is, i never tried the straps guess this will be my next adventure...... weird that it doesnt hurt unless i lift something, no pain doind normal daily activities, but the pain when lifting gets unbareable.....case in point i chewed 3 painkillers in the middle of my arm workout yesterday just to get through it.... i know i know, bad idea but if my only other option is not to lift then....i choose pain, i guess.....
    wish i could help

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KDRLINUS
    i have had incredible amounts of pain in my forearms for about 10 months now... i take glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, glucoa cream, ect.....no response.....

i have lightened up on the weights and no response, i stopped doing ez bar curls and no response, now it hurts doind dumbells as well... every once in a while it goes away for a few weeks and then comes back.

the pain is located about halfway between my elbow and wrist, and is right alond the edge of the bone......i cant figure out what it is, i never tried the straps guess this will be my next adventure...... weird that it doesnt hurt unless i lift something, no pain doind normal daily activities, but the pain when lifting gets unbareable.....case in point i chewed 3 painkillers in the middle of my arm workout yesterday just to get through it.... i know i know, bad idea but if my only other option is not to lift then....i choose pain, i guess.....
    wish i could help
    Once you get this problem, it takes ages to go away. Notice that you will also get pain if you throw a full speed baseball pitch. I've quit barbell curls because slowly it was getting worse. Now I'm doing only slightly bent over yates rows and that way I can use half as much weight again and hit the biceps even harder.

bigJJ is offline Member
    Consider the possibility of the dreaded "Tennis Elbow" too. That killed my Bi workouts for a year or more. I still wear one of the straps over my right forearm just to keep it from re-occuring.

Not fun, and takes a long time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Once you get this problem, it takes ages to go away. Notice that you will also get pain if you throw a full speed baseball pitch. I've quit barbell curls because slowly it was getting worse. Now I'm doing only slightly bent over yates rows and that way I can use half as much weight again and hit the biceps even harder.

funny you said that, i was running at the local HS a few weeks back and my friend and i decided to toss a ball around for fun, not thinking anything of it i leaned back and unloaded............. immediately i gripped my arm in intense pain!!! this is probably the most frustrating injury i have ever had. my arms hurt doing some of the most trivial things.... and becasue they dont hurt all the time i forget to think before i do things like pick up a ball and rocket it across the diamond..... then after as i grunt in pain i think to myself, god that was so stupid.

after doing some researhc i think the next plan is this:

continue the supplements,
    incorporate forearm exercises,
    completely exclude anything that causes pain,
    stretch before and after workouts,
    ice after workouts especially arm workouts,
    and stick to pain free exercises ( for me the using the curl machine, and doing double bi curls using the cable causes no pain)
    use wraps

if this doesnt help, then i give up..... i have 90% of my gear for my next cycle, just waiting on one more delivery, however i dont want this injury to hinder my gains, so i might wait to see if this causes a reduction in my pain levels before i begin.

I will keep ya posted guys --

Smedman101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigJJ
    Consider the possibility of the dreaded "Tennis Elbow" too. That killed my Bi workouts for a year or more. I still wear one of the straps over my right forearm just to keep it from re-occuring.

Not fun, and takes a long time to heal.
    "Tennis Elbow" Big JJ I agree, The starps make all the difference I had to wear one for many months. You can buy them at any sports store in the tennis section.

decadbal is offline Banned
    id try less wt, and focusing on gettmy forearms stonger.. drop straps if u use them and get your forearms stronger

I've experienced this before too, it was back in my teens when I first began lifting and hit a growth spurt. It felt like a twisting tension, almost like pain in the bone and not the muscle. It eventually got better and went away, but for a long time all I did was machine curls.

Raven8264 is offline Junior Member
    I got the same thing with Barbell curls, with the EZ curl bar!

I knew something was wrong and decided to quit it altogether before it got really bad. Sucks because it was my favorite exercise of any body part. I loved the pump I got from it.

Now I just do sit-down isolation, hammers and DB preachers. I still miss the BB, but now my arms feel great again and no soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by KDRLINUS

wish i could help

znak is offline Senior Member
    1) Make sure that you have hammer curls in your workout. They build the forearm and warm up the muscles for heavy curls.

2) If the pain is sharp, you probably should take time off (unfortunately about 3-4 weeks), then come back slowly. Hammer curls. Hammer curls. Then move up in weight.

The problem is that your brachia (sp?) strength is lagging behind your biceps and you are transferring weight to the tendons. Not good.

jrock38 is offline Associate Member
    Mine hurt so bad I thought they were going to blow up. I am picking up wraps today. Hopefully it will help. I did back yesterday and had to stop early cuz my forearms were so pumped.
    I,m on IGF-1 LR3 I wondering if that is adding to the pump??

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

I have this problem alot too. I even quite specific forearm training and did some therapy with rubber bands to help it. Dumbbells are less stressful than barbells too.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    1) Make sure that you have hammer curls in your workout. They build the forearm and warm up the muscles for heavy curls.

2) If the pain is sharp, you probably should take time off (unfortunately about 3-4 weeks), then come back slowly. Hammer curls. Hammer curls. Then move up in weight.

The problem is that your brachia (sp?) strength is lagging behind your biceps and you are transferring weight to the tendons. Not good.
    Good advice, my next workout I will be hammering then.

good mornig guys, just thought i would share, that yesterday i changed my arm workout sticking to only what i knew for sure would not cause pain

(the double bi curls with a cable <~~~ prob called something else but i cant think of the name right now, and the bi-machine (not the preacher curls station, we just got a new one that keeps your elbows about head height and has you do curls from an elevated position)

well the result was NO PAIN at all..... what an incredible feeling, and the best part -------------> my arms are killing me (sore, not pain) today , which never happens. i also did forearm exercises, and took naproxin afterwards and just in case, i iced/ stretched later in the evening.

i didnt need straps...and i cant wait to blast my bi's again
    thanks for all good advise guys
    good luck

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    i had a good discussion on another board about this. one guy used the same technique as me, which is before you let the barbell go, try and touch your knuckles to the top of your forearm, and slowly release your grip from the bar, then slowly bring your hands to a normal position. very little pain when i do that. this guy also said he popped a few asprin before workout. anyway, i worked through the pain, which probably wasnt smart, but i dont get that pain very often anymore.

i just started bi workouts after a long holt on them after the same problem. im using straps like my trainer told me and its never felt better. I'm only gonna work out bis like every other week but so far so good W/the straps.

I think I have solved my own problem. The pain in my forearms come directly from the "Two Handed Cable Bicep Curl" .

Since I cut that excercise out, I no longer have that excrutiating pain in my forearms.

I just do the preacher bench and standing barbell curls. no pain!

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by collar
    dont grip the bar so hard...
    stretch it out..
    massage it ..
    hehe what a PERVE!!!!

kwozza is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    This is correct and is why we should all still make time for the little muscles and tendons we so easily forget because they don't bulk up.

Unforunately, we all wait until we are injured before we start exercising them.

Dalton5 is offline Associate Member
    Wow I thought i was the only one.....had a few beer one night and got stupid, me and a buddy were seeing who could curl more with a barbell, i put him to shame but have been paying for it ever since. It almost feels like its the bone itself thats aching after i put the bar down....

Thread Information