scrapakilla is offline Associate Member

what do u guys think of this mix of powerlifting and bodybuilding?

I am currently training to play college football and in the process of bulking naturally. in january i will be walking around at about 210 to 215 as i am almost there already. Right now i am using the bulking sticky as my diet and following a strict bodybuilding routine for overall mass, not really focusing on strenght because i am good with strenght, but my size is what lacks most between the two. I will start playing in about june so i have time to make myself the best i can be. Starting about january 20th when i am done bulking i plan on focusing on strenght and speed and keeping my weight what its at or adding a little, but not adding any excess body fat only lean mass. I will be using eq and test for 10 weeks to get my strenght and speed as peaked as possible as i feel i am already pretty close to my natural limits on both catagories. I will follow a strict cutting diet to gain as little weight as possible, hopefully limited to around 10 12 pounds to not hurt with my speed. I have a workout that focuses on my main lifts of bench, dead lift, squat and clean jerk and getting them better for my 1rm weight. As well as some body building routines to keep the definition good as well. I know it is not reccomended to mix body building and powerlifting but i will show my workout and break each one down and hear your flames.

back- 3x12 pull ups
    3 barbell rows
    5x5 dead lift week 1 starting at 70 percent of 1rm, adding 5 percent a week
    2x8 lat pulldown
    2x8 dumbell rows

chest
    3x8 flys
    5x5 flat bench week 1 starting at 70 of 1rm adding 5 percent a week
    3x8 weighted dips
    4x15 cable cross overs

legs
    3x8 front squats
    3x12 leg curls
    5x5 squats week 1 starting at 70 of 1rm adding 5 percent a week
    5x5 glute ham raise
    3x12 calf raises

cleans and jerk, i add a little of everything i failed to include in other workouts focusing on biceps shoulders and adding strenght in my clean and jerk lift
    barbell shrugs 3x 12
    barbell curls 3x12
    clean jerk 5x5 week 1 starting at 70 percent of 1rm and adding 5 percent a week
    upright rows 3x12preacher curls 2x8
    dumbell shrugs 2x8
    hammer curls 2 x 8

I believe this workout is more then descent for my goals, i am follwing a sprint program on top of this and i do not think it iwl interfere with my training as they are placed well spread throughout the week. Also i know some of you may not agree with me using secondary movements before my main lifts but this method helps me with muscularity and is one i would like others to try. another thing you may not like is me adding 5 percent of my 1rm every week to my 5x5. My response to this and i would like to hear your opinions, is that i will be juicing for my first time and i think i will make explosive strenght gains because i will go balls to the wall and believe me il get the weight up. and if i have issues with this i obviously will make the weight manageable in the later weeks but increase weekly to insure my strenght gains to the fullest.

Thanks, i know this is a very unorthodox way of lifting i have never tried anything like it and i would love to hear your opinions. Thanks and sorry for the lenght of this post as wbell.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I used to do a variation like that. I would do westside for bench, squat and deadlift..and then just do 2 other exercises with 3 or 4 sets to finish up chest/legs/back

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    It looks Kosher... I too use olympic/power lifts when cutting..or when lean bulking (if such a distinction truly exists)

Personally...I'd drop the cable crossovers on chest day...and maybe alternate between weight dips and incline db: i.e. doing weight dips for 6 weeks in the training cycle...then dropping 'em and doing incline dbs for 6 weeks in the training cycle.

Legs...I've done front squats in standard BB squats in the same workout...and imo it's over kill...but as a football player in need of explosive strength i can understand why you'd incorporate front squats. Personally i'd drop two sets of the standard BB squats thus doing 3 sets of each exercise. The same principle i'd apply to the leg-curl/gluteham raise conondrum. They're very similar exercises. The gluteham raise being akin to an improved (Thus more effective) leg-curl. I'd do 3 sets of each...starting with gluteham raises as they'd require the most energy of the two.

I think the combination of BB shrugs/upright rows/Clean and jerk/Db Shrugs are over kill.

Upright rows and clean and jerk are similar... Db shrugs are a variation of BB shrugs. That's like flogging a dead horse.

Review my suggestion in regards to chest training...and periodise these exercises.

Combine clean and jerk with Db shrugs in one 6 week cycle... followed by upright rows and BB shrugs in another.

Toss in a military press...or switch the clean and jerk with a clean and press.

Also...drop bicep exercises to the end of the session. Pre-fatiguing the biceps will affect your upright row/clean and jerk strength...as the biceps are engaged early in the movement.

I think that's about it...tell me what you think

yea i think thats pretty cool i am gonna use some of your advice. but what do u mean about making it clean and press. To be honest i am not familiar with that, is clean and press what ferrigno does in pumping iron. Also do you think adding a set of millitary press in a similar periodization and doing plain old power cleans would be a good alternative. And woud it be ok for me to add reverse flys to the clean/shoulder day. Thanks and i am going to use all your other advice i agree with you. Also do yout think i will make gains of this workout. And to make things less complicated can i keep the workut the same for all of the 10 or 12 weeks i do it or you believe switching it up at 6 weeks might help shock my muscles in a positve way

Thanks

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapakilla
    yea i think thats pretty cool i am gonna use some of your advice. but what do u mean about making it clean and press. To be honest i am not familiar with that, is clean and press
    A clean and press is just that: The weight is cleaned from the floor or the hang clean position to shoulder height. From shoulder height a military press is done to full extension. At full extension the weight is lowered to shoulder height..and from there to the floor...and repeat.

Also do you think adding a set of millitary press in a similar periodization and doing plain old power cleans would be a good alternative.
    Yes...that'll do..It isn't the same from the power-training perspcetive but that'll do.

And woud it be ok for me to add reverse flys to the clean/shoulder day.
    Add it to the back day...rear delts get a lot of work from rows...and indirect work from deads/chins etc.

And to make things less complicated can i keep the workut the same for all of the 10 or 12 weeks i do it or you believe switching it up at 6 weeks might help shock my muscles in a positve way
    You can stick to the same exercises for the duration of the training cycle... but review the suggestions i've made.

Don't iinclude a lot variations of the same exercise in the same workout. e.g. don't do db shrugs AND barbell shrugs... e.g.#2: don't do upright rows AND cleans... understand

Good luck

~Corey

Don't iinclude a lot variations of the same exercise in the same workout. e.g. don't do db shrugs AND barbell shrugs... e.g.#2: don't do upright rows AND cleans... understand

Good luck

So from a body building perspective, one who encorporates pullups, and lat pulldown, along with barbell rows and t bar rows for example would be over training or as you put it flogging a dead horse. If so what would you do to change this pick one excercise and add a few more sets. Cuase currently i have patterns like this in my routine thanks

Thread Information