Hriliu999 is offline New Member

10 x 3 for Fat Loss article

Here is a slightly unconventional approach to fat loss written by Chad Waterbury for ********. I would be interested to here comments/opinions on the program.

Cheers Hriliu999

10 x 3 For Fat Loss
    by Chad Waterbury

The Magic of 10 x 3

My name seems to be synonymous with the 10 x 3 training method. In fact, when I first ran into John Berardi at a Piggly Wiggly in Shreveport, he said, "Hey, aren't you that 10 x 3 guy?" I carefully placed the jumbo-sized container of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food back into the freezer and replied with a nod.

Believe it or not, I did invent the 10 x 3 training parameters. I also invented the steam engine, the light bulb, Post-it notes, twist ties, nipple tassels, and the Internet.

Ah hell, I've gotta come clean: I didn't invent the 10 x 3 training method, but I believe I helped make it more popular. Indeed, it's one of the most effective set of parameters I've ever used, and the percentage of my clients who respond well to it is higher than any other method I prescribe.

What's so damn special about doing ten sets of three reps anyway? Honestly, I don't know, but the loading/volume combination seems to hit a "sweet spot" with most lifters. Whether the effectiveness is due to the sets, reps, loading, or rest periods is beyond what I'm willing to figure out, but it works — hella good.

But Does It Work For Fat Loss?

Oftentimes, when an advanced trainee hires me to add muscle, I'll start him on the 10 x 3 system by using compound exercises and medium-duration rest periods. His eating plan would consist of slightly above maintenance calories and the frequency of training would be 2-3 times per week, per body part.

Surprisingly, it wasn't until last year that I started experimenting with 10 x 3 for fat loss. Although I'd been using the system for over five years, I always avoided 10 x 3 with my clients who wanted to drop to single digit body fat. Why?

First off, trainees often get very sore when they embark on the 10 x 3 method. This soreness is usually due to them performing a set/rep volume that's larger than they're accustomed to with about 80% of 1RM (one rep max). After all, most trainees equate larger loads with lower volumes (3 x 3, 5 x 3, etc.).

Second, I often prescribed a load that caused my clients to be at or near failure during the last rep of the last set. This loading prescription often induced considerable fatigue accumulation (not bad for hypertrophy, but not good during dieting phases).

Third, I usually prescribed a progression that consisted of a 2-3% load increase with each subsequent workout. Anyone who's been on a fat loss eating plan knows how difficult it is to gain maximal strength while in such a deprived state.

Finally, I figured the combination of loading, frequency, and fatigue accumulation was excessive for anyone trying to lose fat. Nevertheless, I decided to address the 10 x 3 and fat loss issue. So, I pulled out the ol' thinking cap and went to the drawing board to find a solution.

Basically, I was looking for an effective "middle ground" that would take advantage of the highly effective 10 x 3 system, while managing the fatigue factor since hypo-maintenance eating plans impede performance and recovery. What I discovered was incredible, but it took some work.

Modifications for Rapid Fat Loss

The first issue I needed to address was loading. Even though a load of 80-85% of 1RM was great for hypertrophy, it needed to be adjusted during periods of restricted calories. I knew I needed to keep the load as high as possible to preserve maximal strength, but I didn't want to push the intensity level too high. Therefore, I discovered that a loading of 75% of 1RM, or a 10 repetition maximum was ideal.

Second, the cardiovascular demand of the workout needed to be enhanced. Yes, I know, weight-training doesn't burn many calories, but that doesn't mean that steps shouldn't be taken to increase caloric expenditure. As such, I shortened the rest periods from 70-90 seconds to 30-45 seconds.

Third, a frequency of three sessions per week, per muscle group, was excessive for a fat loss plan. Sure, I could've decreased the loading and increased the rest periods to offset fatigue, but such steps would have altered the true magic of 10 x 3. So, I opted to decrease the frequency of training each body part to twice each week.

Finally, I knew a loading progression of 2-3% per workout wouldn't work. It was too much for any dieting trainee to handle. During the periods I experimented with such loading progressions, the trainee only lasted about two weeks before he was burnt. And that's not good.

So I chiseled away at the loading prescriptions and realized that a hybrid progression plan worked best. One workout would consist of decreasing the rest period; the other workout would consist of increasing the load, albeit 1.5 to 2%.

Abs and Cardio

I already came clean regarding the 10 x 3 invention, so I'll take it one step further: I despise cardio and ab training. Yep, I've got nothing but rancor for either one. Now, that doesn't mean that a program shouldn't include either (it should), but it's not necessary to run for 45 minutes or perform a zillion crunches. To perform either is an act of futility if you're trying to get your six-pack out of the freezer. Long-duration cardio will eat up muscle and crunches are little more than a waste of time.

You wanna get lean? Then you best find an effective weight-training program and adhere to one of the many outstanding eating plans here on ********. You want a California beach midsection? Stick to compound exercises. Squats, deads, chins, and overhead presses will provide more than enough stimulus to develop the abdominal region to fitness model status.

If such exercises didn't work, I wouldn't say it. After all, I could make some serious coin if every other article I wrote was devoted to ab training. Unless you're a powerlifter, there's no need to isolate them within your routine.

Side Rant: If you're one of the masochists who lives for waking up to sore abs, do the following: perform 5 x 5 pull-ups with a heavy dumbbell between your feet.

Okay, now that my little schoolgirl screaming fit is over, I'll tell you that it's beneficial to increase your heart rate with high-intensity energy system training. That's why I've included a fat-burning "booster" phase within this program. Exercises such as sprints and rope jumping have induced the largest levels of fat-burning within my gym. You'll do both during this program.

The novelty of this program is evident within the progression plan. Be sure you adhere to the prescription that follows the workout. Here's the plan you've been waiting for!

The Program

Day 1

Weight Training
    Exercises: Deadlifts, Chin-ups or Pulldowns, Barbell Front or Hack Squats, Dips or Decline Bench Press
    Sets: 10
    Reps: 3
    Rest: 45 seconds between sets
    Load: 75% of 1RM (10 repetition maximum)
    Note: Perform all 10 sets of each exercise before moving to the next. This method remains constant throughout the program.

Hack squat starting position (elevated heels optional)

Fat-Burning Booster
    Exercise: Cycle Sprints
    Method: Low intensity ped****g for 60 seconds followed by 30 seconds sprinting
    Duration: 10 minutes

Day 2

Rope Jumping

Day 3: Off

Day 4

Weight Training
    Exercises: Back Squats, Seated or Bent-over Rows, Romanian Deadlifts, Standing Military Press
    Rest: 45 seconds
    Load: 75% of 1RM

Dumbbell Military Press

Fat-Burning Booster
    Exercise: Walk/Sprint
    Method: Walk for 60 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds

Day 5: Off

Day 6

Rope Jumping
    Duration: 11 minutes

Day 7: Off

Day 8

Repeat Cycle
    Perform this program for 4 weeks.

Progression

Day 1

Weight Training — Decrease the rest periods by 5 seconds on Week 2. Increase the load by 1.5 to 2% on Weeks 3 and 4.

Fat-Burning Booster — Increase the total duration by 90 seconds with each subsequent workout.

Day 2

Rope Jumping — Increase the duration by 60 seconds.

Day 4

Weight Training — Increase the load by 1.5 to 2% on Week 2. Decrease the rest periods by 5 seconds on Weeks 3 and 4.

Fat-Burning Booster — Increase the total duration by 90 seconds with each subsequent workout.

Day 6

Rope Jumping — Increase the duration by 60 seconds.

Get To It!

I've been hemming and hawing with myself in order to devise a snappy, catchy ending to this article. But I don't want you to wait another second before starting this routine. So get to the fat-burning and don't forget about your eating plan!

© 1998 — 2005 Testosterone , LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    not trying to jack this thread, but for size n strength u reccomen 10X3, whats the split look like, one excercise eachday for each muscle, 3 times a week, similiar to westside or dc type schedule? mon wed fri?

Hriliu999 is offline New Member
    ��No problem, hope this helps. You could check the website for all the technical stuff, but here's the meat and potatoes.

The Waterbury Method: Let's Do It!

Week 1 Loading: 80% of 1RM or a load you can lift for 6 perfect reps

Weeks 1-4 Tempo: 10X (one second eccentric or lowering; no pause; concentric or lifting action as fast as possible)

DAY 1

Barbell Back Squats
    Rest: 70 seconds

A1 Dips

A2 Bent-Over Barbell or Dumbbell Rows
    Sets: 4
    Reps: 6
    Rest: 60 seconds (between exercise pairings)

Note: A1/A2 consists of a superset pairing

B1 Skull Crushers

B2 Standing Barbell Curls
    Rest: 60 seconds

Hanging Leg Raises
    Rest: 60 seconds between sets

DAY 2

15-20 minutes of medium intensity jogging or GPP work

DAY 3

Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Rest: 60 seconds between sets

A1 Partial Dumbbell Deadlift (Romanian Deadlift)

A2 Standing Barbell Military Press
    Rest: 60 seconds (between pairings)

B1 Standing Calf Raises

B2 Upright Rows

Triceps Pressdowns (or French Presses)
    Rest: 60 seconds (between sets)

DAY 4

Same as Day 2

DAY 5

Chin-ups
    Rest: 70 seconds (between sets)

Note: Utilize a supinated (palms up), shoulder-width hand grip

A1 Decline Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press

A2 Standing Hammer Curls

B1 Seated Calf Raises

B2 Glute/Ham Raises or Leg Curls

Lunges or Step-Ups
    Rest: 60 seconds (between sets)

Note: No rest between legs

DAY 6

Same as Day 2

DAY 7

Off

Once you’ve finished the first week of the program, the loading on all sets must be increased. Here’s how it all breaks down:

Week 2: 82.5% of 1RM for all lifts

Week 3: 85% of 1RM for all lifts

Week 4: 87.5% of 1RM for all lifts

Thread Information