champofchamps is offline New Member

mma weight lifting routine

I am a pro fighter and have been doing body building because my gym does not have a good strenght and conditioning coach. I was hoping to find a great sports specific workout. I have been lurking on these boards and cmae up with this 3 day routine routine and i woud like to get all the experts on here opinions on it thanks.
    *stands for biceps and calves I rotate either biceps or calves each workout i am starting with biceps and next workout it will be calves and so on
    monday
    bench 5x5
    *4x8
    deadlift5x5
    flys4x15
    chinups 3x failure
    *4x20
    abs 100 reps

wednesday
    *4x8
    clean and jerk 5x5
    *4x20
    lateral raises 4x15
    rows 5x5
    abs 100 reps

friday
    *4x20
    Squat 5x5
    glute ham raise 4x5
    *4x8
    abs 100 reps

Thanks for your help. Some may not agree with mixing fulbody like wokrouts every workout but i feel it is nessecary. Oblitirating a body part such as back or chest and then trainig is very difficult because i often train for mma later that night as i workout early in the morning. I would like to here your opinions on my methods, and if you believe i should tweak it in any way i am looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

noones got an opinion, please guys i need ur input thanks

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i did a more unorthadox training method when i fought but it worked very well.
    3 days training

Day 1
    as many warm up sets as needed

Flat 3 heavy sets
    Incline 2 heavy sets
    Wide grip pull ups 3 weighted sets
    Flys 3 working sets

Day 2
    Deads/squats ALTERNATED
    leg press (close stance
    Legext/curl Super set

Day 3
    yates Rows
    Military
    Curls
    Tri ext

it was fun just food for thought

any other opinions

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Im just curious, but how long have you been training/ fighting? What is your age? Are you going to failure on any of your sets? I woudnt go til failure, more than one of your workouts a week, because between your weight sessions, and you fight training every night after you have already done the weights is probably straining the hell out of your central nervous system. Some guys say Hit is good for mma training. Check out Ironman's hit routine. Its stickied at the top of the page. Also how do you feel after doing the weights and fight training so much? Do you feel drained at all, or have trouble getting up in the morning?

Good question. I have been doing iron man as a matter of fact for the last few months. Ridiculous strenght gains i must say, but it hasnt helped my performance. It has helped my weights get lighter, but i dont feel i gained much functional strenght, and i had flexibility problems due to soreness. Do u tink hit is good for mma cause ill stick to it but so far i jsut do not. I believe and am hoping this routine will help me keep the gains i got off of the hit which are impressive, while also help me gain flexibility, and be bale to recover from weight training to perform at my max during fight training. thanks and let mme know if u want to know anything else.

bro, my roommate is a pro fighter (mma) and he is actually moving to Florida to train full time with ATT (American Top Team). I know you've heard of em. Anyhow, Full Body is deffentley what you should be doing. In your sport you need to be afluent all around for grappling, striking, take downs etc.. The full body 3 days a week is exactly what my boy does and he is also a Master Trainer. He also wrestled D1 for Hofstra so it looks like your on the right path.

Just curious, what do you do for strength and conditioning?

oh BTW: you should also be doing a lot of power movement like weighted lunges, power cleans w/a press, shit like that... Just research power movement on the internet and that should give u a plethora of stuff u can do. You goal is to be lean and strong, not vascular and jacked up...

you may not want to say but who is your buddy. I know a few people on that great team and am curious to know who they have as a probably good addition.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    Full Body splits from the reading I have done seems to be the way to go for sure however IMO you need to add explosive exercises for functional strength like axemurderer suggests.

i am doing deadlifts one day, squats another and clean and jerks on the other day, as well as benchwhich can be viewed as an explosion excercise, correct me if im worng but i feel this is enough and sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by champofchamps
    i am doing deadlifts one day, squats another and clean and jerks on the other day, as well as benchwhich can be viewed as an explosion excercise, correct me if im worng but i feel this is enough and sufficient
    correct, those routines u listed above are all power movements and exactly what you should be doing. Try to add in some lunges with dumb bells pressing when you get back to your starting position. You should also be doing supersets of these to condition yourself. Along with your cleans do a press at the end of those too, remember all in explosive movements! Keep it up, sounds like ur on the right track.

For strength and conditioning you should try doing a lot of plyometrics like planks, high knee drives, pop squats, and ofcourse sprawls. In between all these we also do negative pushups, 4 count pushups and other stuff. Before I get into that stuff I always rope for a solid 10 mins or so. I am boxer and am being trained by a formed Hofstra Running Back for strength and conditioning. Worth every penny. My strength and conditioning is getting so good coach can't get me to hit muscle failure in pushups now... Well he can, but it takes waaay longer now..

For discretin sakes I'll PM u my boys name whos going to ATT.

Thread Information